ZR1 at Nürburgring 7,26,4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ZR1 at Nürburgring 7,26,4

Discussion in '360/430' started by dreamcatcher, Jul 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yeah my 997 is my daily driver as well. I always like your AVATAR'S. Grady was awesome on Sanford and Son.

2. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Thanks...He's back...just a bit more traditional!

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I did the same!!! You're not alone.

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Tell me about it, I had to sell my F-Car because I couldn't sell the existing house, oh well at least I leased it out.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    AutoWeek also had a cover "photo" of P 4/5 that was far from what she looked like so I really don't take what they say too seriously.

Personally I like the 8C spyder better than the California. I also don't see the 2+"2" of the California. In my Maser Coupe you can fit two adults in the back for a drive to dinner with you and your wife but the California looks a bit unusable back there to me. The folding hard top? Not sure. If it works like one in a Lexus perhaps if it sticks half open in the rain...

I hope they got that right. Adding 4K additional cars that people will expect to be able to use every day is uncharted waters for Ferrari. I'm hoping it works out.

6. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just noticed at the bottom of "Napolis" post his quote

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to **** his pants."
    Enzo Ferrari

I had to laugh. Certainly there is some irony when so many of us demean the "fastest production car on the planet (ZR1)" for fit and finish or even depreciation. What goes around? Best

7. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Not surprised it blew others cars. but Surprised by this MUCH. Well done by Chevy and a competent driver. It's amazing what American car makers can do when Engineers are set out to a lofty goal. Usually, engineers are stuck to stupid requirements that marketing poop out.

8. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #33 jm3, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  9. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I co drove with John and against him while on the same team. I have raced wheel to wheel with him , last at the Glenn in 05 where he came in 1st and I 2nd. John has won the runoffs several times (where no one would get away with any advantage for long). Although it is always possible for one person to get something special, Johin is a consistently fast and competitive racer. Best

10. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Yeah we have one house too many aswell!!!!

My renter is outstanding and has an interest in buying the home....We shall see!!

11. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    I am not a Vette liker but I have to say the numbers posted by this car are amazing.. BUT it will never make me smile or kids point , and people smile like our cars.. Cheers to GM for building a fast car but not a car that moves the soul while standing still..

12. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are people of all "classes". As an owner of a Ferrari and Corvette, you get the same "excitement" depending in what neighborhood you travel. All are equal under the Sun. I can honestly tell you I get a thrill from teenagers who hear and react to the whine of my (modified) supercharged vette. Different strokes. Best

13. herragge

herragge Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Alberta
    I would agree with you completely. It is very amusing to see people bash the ZR1 to defend their marque of Ferrari.

If you were a true car enthusiast there would be no such thing. The ZR1 is a great engineering achievement and a great achievement for GM. If anything it pushes the envelope more to make more innovative and faster examples of new Ferrari's to better compete now with an American marque. I am very pleased with the ZR1, it is absolutely amazing! Although no matter what, they are two completely different manufacturers. Corvette has always been about brute force and power with innovative engineering whereas a Ferrari is a very passionate and utterly stimulating drive.

Regards

14. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    I would take a 599 over the ZR1 (or GTR) even if the 599 was 40 seconds slower...I really mean that.

15. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    What...30 MPG on your spider??? When you are going down a steep hill will the car turned off...maybe!! :)

16. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yep, cruising at hwy speeds (75 mph, turning 1500 rpms) I'm getting 30 mpg. Of course, when I stomp it those 6 liters of engine drink the gas to the tune of 3 mpg. ;) I think the official specks for the base vette engine are 19/29.

17. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I read somewhere that Jan Magnussen will give it another try on the Ring.

18. cfra7

cfra7 Rookie

Jun 5, 2008
    Rocklin CA
    Full Name:
    Ed Kornegay
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Good for Chevrolet. I still don't want one.

20. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Exactly. Glad you pointed that out. F40 anyone? Corvette bashers, do you your homework on this car- it's a world beater.

21. sexybeast

sexybeast Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    wow, it may not be the most beautiful or hand built or cost the most but i guess some people get offended when they spend 4x as much as the next guy and they are no longer the fastest kid on the block.

22. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    At the end of the day its still a Chevrolet, not a Ferrari. Give it a few years and that time will get knocked off by something else.

23. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Maybe so, but it's a Chevy with 15.5 inch ceramic brakes. Last time I checked you couldn't get those on a Cavalier. Or any Ferrari for that matter.
    This thread is missing the point. You don't buy this car to replace any of your Ferraris. Just acknowledge it's accomplishment and leave it at that.

24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Wow! My hat is off to GM. I still do not want a ZR1, but I am impressed.

25. GeorgeSSSS

GeorgeSSSS Karting

Aug 12, 2004
    Let's give GM its due. They tried to do something and succeeded. Ferrari is trying for something a little different, and they've been succeeding at it for 60 years.

If the ZR-1 is Le Mans eligible, it would be great to see them thump Aston Martin with it.

Competition makes us stronger.