Salem Sports Car & Classic Movie Night | FerrariChat

Salem Sports Car & Classic Movie Night

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Ackmann, Jul 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    #1 Ackmann, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, here is what I'm working on. I've lined up the Historic Elsinore Theater in downtown Salem to show Steve McQeen's movie
    LE MANS. This movie would be open to the public and probably run around $8.00 each for admission; perhaps less for kids. I've been talking with GO Downtown about closing the street for that block so the different car clubs could drive in and display the cars simular to what we do at a Cars & Coffee. DaVinci"s Restaurant (great Italian) is next store to the theater and we're hoping that they will support the event by allowing a 5-7 happy hour, & perhaps allow drinks to flow into the street; we may even get a few bites brought around out front for the attendies. Basicaly a street social with a sport car theme. Movie would begin at 7pm and cars should remain safe as we plan to have both local police and a rent a cop or two working the streets during the event.

Want your feedback.

Great Location:
    http://www.elsinoretheatre.com/

Date Needed:
    1st Choice is Saturday Sept 6th
    2nd Choice is Saturday 27th. (risk of rain)
    3rd choice is make this part of the First Wednesday event downtown on Wednesday Sept 3rd.

Name the Event:
    1st choice Salem Sports Car & Classic Movie Night
    2nd choice Salem Sports & Classic Car Movie Night
    3rd: Need Suggestions???????????

Interest in attending event: Who would attend the event? 30-50 miles south of Portland and 60 miles north of eugene.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    I MIGHT be up for it... 3rd and the 6th won't work though, we will be in Belgium for the F1 race at Spa!!!

3. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Oh man, I can see where your torn between the two. F1 , Nice evening in Salem. I tell you what, you go to Salem & I quess I'll take your trip to Spa so you won't feel the tickets were wasted.

Sounds like a blast.

4. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Sounds great count me in...

the 6th or 3rd is ok.

#1 or:
    Salem's Classic Cinema and Car Night

5. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    I'd love to come down for this. Salem is my old stompin' grounds, from about 100 years ago. It should be fun.

Please post the final date/details.

Kevin

6. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Looks like we have a date of Saturday Evening Sept 6th, from 5pm to 9pm.

I've talked to Steve W at RTGT and he's assured me the Ferrari Boys won't be out done by the PCar & Lambo clubs for attendance. Vette Club and Shelby clubs have also expressed their interest for the event.

Still lokking to pin down to event name so we can get the ArtWork & posters started. So far 1 radio station and the Statesman Journal say their on board to help promote the night.

Top Two Choice: Salem Sports Car & Movie Festival
    Salem Sports Car & Classic Movie Night

Please VOTE!!!!

DaVinci's Restaurant is on board and will have live music and perhaps a Happy Hour menu between 5-7pm before the movie at 7pm.

7. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    +1

8. psycho-mullet

psycho-mullet Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ashcroft
    Count me in!

Can I suggest preceding the feature presentation with Rendezvous by Jean Claude Le Luc? I don't know maybe that's too intense for Le Mans to follow with it's serene opening.

Let me mull over the title before I weigh in.

9. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    The theater will have there wine bar open inside but won't be showing anything early since all the social action will be out front around the cars and in the bar of Davinci's.

Look forward to you showing up and enjoying the night. Great movie suggestion though. Maybe next summer, wasn't that movie banned or something like that? Is it now available?

10. psycho-mullet

psycho-mullet Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ashcroft
    I have a DVD of it so it must have been reconciled.

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    My calender is open for Salem Sports Car & Movie Festival

12. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    We confirmed the name today.

Salem Sports Car & Movie Festival.
    Sept 6th 5-9pm

Good chance we will be announcing the corperate sponser soon, and all should be pleased with their support of the event.

13. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    Is there any way for this to be earlier in the day? I assume it's due to blocking off the street, but it seems to be a bit late.

Will there still be plenty of light on that street up until 9pm?

14. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    We're still in the early stages organizing so we can do anything we want at this point. I've targeted 5-7 for happy hour since it's around dinner time for people to come for the food at social time in front of DaVici's. The movie is from 7-9pm since it's the most common time. Hadn't put much thought about people willing to drive down from Seattle market but more than interested if we have people wanting to move up the time slot. Steet has good lighting since it's in the heart of downtown Salem and I thought dusk would make for better atmospere and photo op in front of the lite up old theater. Interesting thought about the lighting though. I just check Dawn & Dusck tables and they show dusk at 8pm in early September.

Who wants the event moved up a little?

Happy hour 4:30 - 6:30pm and start the move at 6:30pm-8:30pm????

15. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    I appreciate your being so open. Personally, the time isn't an issue. I was concerned about the number of people that would show up around dinner time.

One idea might be to consider having the show from 2-6pm. Then overlap happy hour from 5 - 7pm (around dinner time) and the movie could be as you already suggested (6:30-8:30pm or 7-9pm).

Don't get me wrong, I'll accept anything you come up with. This is just an idea.

16. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    THis is exactly why I have it out on the board hoping to get feedback. THANK YOU ACTUALLY!!!.

I feel the event will be better attended and more enjoyable if it is 4-5 hours long total. Most people (myself included) have about a 4 hour energy and interest level. Of course I'm 40.

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I would like to be on the road home by 7 PM.

18. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    Anything new on the Salem car show?

19. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Yes, I'm glad you brought it back up. I've been meaning to give an update.

1st it's been cancelled for this year. I was having problems with the Theater getting all the legistics confirmed with Paramount Pictures to be able to publicly show the film. Second the city kept trying to push us into having it in conjuction with another event on Wednesday. Not interested myself.

I then contacted some of the powers that be to have it at the Evergreen Air Museum and show it at their new Imax theater. They too were having difficulties securing the copyright approvals but we did have a nice set up planned with a live band booked and catered BBQ.This facility would be alot easier since they don't have any parking issues and does provide for a nice location. The only other thing that gave me problems was they wanted me to move it to a Saturday in late October and I said no due to probable weather issues.

In the end, I have the movie and even picked up a copy of Rendevous and written permission from the movies distributor to be able to show it as a opening preview. (cool film by the way).

My plan is to work on doing something like this in spring perhaps.

Only other obsticle is feedback from people showing interest in attending. Person to person I have had plenty of people say they would like to attend, but on the blog sites very little interest or feedback, so I wasn't so sure how many would attend. And with the Thousands of dollars spent on the music, food, theater, movie, and permits and advertising for the event I ended up pulling the plug on it.

At least for now.

Thanks for your continued interest, I do think it sounds fun and may do something next year on a larger scale and perhaps use it as a fund raiser for one of the charities that support our troops that have been injured in the war.

20. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    Well, I'm bummed but I certain understand that there's probably a lot of effort that goes into setting up one of these events.

I was looking forward to the 4 hour drive down with my 8 year old son and meeting my dad for a boys day out. Maybe next year will work out better.

Thanks so much for all your efforts. Don't feel bad about it as these things happen.

Kevinwi

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is there an IMAX version of Le Mans or Grand Prix? I have another idea for a venue if there is.

22. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    There isn't but the theaters (at least McMinnville) can show the movie on standard dvd. Just don't get the Imax effect.