575M Turbo ? | FerrariChat

575M Turbo ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ZeEN, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZeEN

ZeEN Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Turkey
    Full Name:
    Eren
    A friend of mine wants to turbocharge his '02 575M F1 anyone seen like that project? main problem is i think not much space for the turbo.i told him stay with the nitro but i want to hear your suggestions.

Thanks...

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I am not a mechanic so keep that in mind.

Won't NOS deteriorate the engine components and that will get expensive fast.

My only other thought is why.

-dsd

3. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think either one sounds kind of stupid on that engine.

4. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    #4 Pcar928fan, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    Most people should not be allowed to drive cars with the stock HP of a 575, let alone what one with Turbo's or NOS might make (at least for one 1/4 mile pass before it blew up anyway)... Ferrari like Porsche build their engines to a HP point that allows the engine to last a reasonable amount of time before it needs to be rebuilt. Start adding HP and you take away hours of fun on the road! Some might argue that you make it up w/ more fun due to the added HP, but at the level of the 550/575 (or to a lesser extent 911Turbo's) all you are doing is wasting rubber by burning off your rear tires every time you get on it... That is no fun...

YMMV!
    James
    Austin, TX

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Wow turbocharge! I have a hard time now just keeping the tires to the pavement as is. I would rather go the other way and strip weight out of the car. See how light you could get it. That would be fun!

6. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Don't do that to a 575. That would be a shame.

7. sir-t

sir-t Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    D/A/CH
    Koenig-Specials offer a TT-Kit on the 575 with 790HP.

http://koenig-specials.com/ferrari/ferrari-550maranello.html

8. Mongo

Mongo Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    SF Bay, CA
    The space will be even tighter than it initially was when the car left the factory. If he is willing to go the route of turbocharging his 575M, make sure that motor is completely examined and inspected after the teardown and reassembly. If anything can help make the engine durable to handle that amount of power from the boost can be done - he should do it.

I have seen a lot of turbo conversions on various cars that have been poorly done or improperly tuned. Ferrari turbocharging can go from fun to disaster in about the same time it takes for the car to hit 60 mph if it's not done right.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Garage Saurus modified one (albeit a 550 maranello with a 6 speed gearbox...).
    twin turbo (IIRC 2530's...) and apperently close to 1000HP. the car also has some nice exterior work done to it, mainly (painted) carbon fibre work, Carbon diffusors and a (marmite) GT wing.

Its been a while since i read about the car, i'd happily search for the link for you but as i've emmigrated and right now im lucky to see more than 25kbps...so im sure you understand searching for something can be a huge PITA!

Bas

10. bald

bald Karting
    BANNED

Jun 12, 2008
    #10 bald, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Should be a fun project, but the question is what is his goal from this ?

Do you have a shop in mind that has done it before and is totally committed to do the work and follow thru with it ?

Project like this looks good as an idea but getting it down to the fabrication and actually getting it to work are two different things !...........................

Yes, your bud will get the power he will be looking for but the question you have to ask him
    1) Does he have 35,000-100,000K for the mod / fab / dyno and lots of down time.
    2) Extensive rework of the custom made electronics ?
    3) Will that F1 box be able to hold down an extra 300hp or more from the upgrade ?
    4) Where does he want the turbo to kick in at ? low rpm or high rpm ?
    5) Space is not the problem for fitting turbos but fabrication and down time costs the most..............

here is a picture of an F430 twin turbo project completed........................
    $100,000+ was spent on this so far
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There was a TT 550 in Japan I saw online...

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

that'll be the garage saurus one:).

Used to have a load of pictures of it...

infact, i believe i still have some on my photobucket. when im at an internet cafe or so during the week i'll try and post them up:).

13. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V

WICKED!!!

14. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Hey,

Don't get me wrong: I'm into maximum horsepower as much as the next guy, but this mod seems a bit silly and gratuitous to me -- especially on a 550 or 575, which are really almost without flaw (save for the earlier 575s that were pre-FHP or GTC) as they came out of the factory. As a recognized tuner told me some time back, by messing with the car you are almost certain to diminish it, not augment it. For further proof, dial up the YouTube video of the guys that campaigned a 550 in the recent cross-country Gumball. They will run down (with Jay Leno interviewing them) everything they did to trick it out. They spared no expense and could have done ANYTHING to that car, but the core 550 remained intact. No turbos, no radical changes, just lots of GPS and other gizmos.

Even if you have the additional scratch to invest in this project ($50-100k minimum) I think you'll just end up with a Franken-575 that is almost undriveable. Not to mention, it will severely damage its originality and saleability down the road.

Second, all that power will have a hard time staying on the pavement and you're going to shred tires like you have no idea. Also, the handling characteristics are going to get blown all out of whack. It's going to be a very expensive case of two steps forward one step back. Every mod you do you will need to do another one to counteract the problems the first mod created.

Anyhow, that's my opinion. Maybe I'm just a stuffy purist, but the 550/575s were pretty perfect the way they were produced. A new Tubi here and maybe some other minor mods there, but otherwise I'd leave it alone.

ketel

15. kole

kole Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2005
    unbelievably silly idea

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    ^ what he said. plus under hood temps will be a big problem.

17. Denis GTPRO

Denis GTPRO Karting

Apr 25, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Denis Dickerson
    #17 Denis GTPRO, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
    There is no room for the turbocharger in the engine bay of that car. The only way to do it would be to purchase a universal kit from STS (squires turbo systems) and fabricate it. the turbo actually replaces the muffler in the car and is mounted in the very rear of the car. This is removable down the road and the front headers and exhaust can remain stock. Very efficient setup

18. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    #18 Lexdiamonnyc, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    where do the intercoolers go?