Any 348 lug bolts just lying around? | FerrariChat

Any 348 lug bolts just lying around?

Discussion in '348/355' started by JoeZaff, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just passing through from the 308/mondial board in hopes you could help me.

I need a set of 348 bolts to put my new 348 wheels on my Mondial 3.2. If any of you have a set of 348 bolts you are interested in parting with. Please P.M me.

Otherwise, does anyone know where I can get a set at a good price. I was hoping there is a cross reference with another manufacturer. I just can't stomach giving Ferrari $500.00 for a set of bolts. Everyone has their breaking point...

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Not sure if these are the same, but I paid $2.50/ea for lugs for my 360 at America's Tires. The best fifty clams I've ever spent!

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Now we are talking. I mean, $500.00 for lug bolts. Even for Ferrari that is a little offensive.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    it's beyond me how anyone can retail a lug bolt for $2.50. I mean just how low can they get the quality of steel / plating / machining to hit that price? Given the safety criticality I'd go with the Hill bolts or used OEM's...

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    I posted something too -- but deleted it for fear of unleashing a barrage of criticism. Everyone can certainly chose to install whatever bolts they prefer. Cost however, should not be the determining factor in such a critical item. Material quality should probably be everyone's #1 priority when it comes to bolts.

Some people like chrome, some do not. That's what makes the world go 'round.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I assumed that the lug were so expensive because they were in very short supply. However, I just learned of a 348 web page, where it was noted you can purchase 348 sized wheel lugs from Grand Prix Tire for 6.50 each. Of course, this is completely unconfirmed. if that is the case, and the lugs are of a somewhat common size, is there something unique about Ferrari OEM wheel lugs that warrant the cost. BMW/Mercedes/Land Rover OEM lugs cost a fraction of the price and I don't see their wheels flying off. My mondial 3.2 makes 260HP and less than 200lbs of torque. I just can't imagine that there is any significant sheer force being exercised on these lugs. Furthermore, I can't imagine Ferrari putting any R&D into lug bolts, it's not like they are titanium or anything.

All that being said, this is my First Ferrari, and I admit I may not have any idea what I am talking about. So feel free to put me straight.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#7 Ricambi America, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed any bolt will hold the wheel in place... probably under most normal driving conditions. In my own personal life (totally apart from Ricambi), I can't think of a single time I've been in my personal 348 and not driven the living crap out of the car. It is my dream car too, and I'm going to beat the snot out of the engine, suspension, etc.

I track the car, I rally the car, I enjoy the car quite a bit... would any old bolt work? Maybe. Am I willing to take that chance? Not me, personally.

Another Fchatter had a failure of some wheel bolts about a year ago. They got sent to England for analysis by Hill Engineering, just to see WTF was going on. Without going through a whole mess of posts and details, check out the picture below -- it shows how severely deformed wheel bolt threads can become. The deformed threads are of a genuine Ferrari bolt after 20 years. Lower grade steel than a Hill bolt, lousy chrome plating, etc. etc.

Still, if you're not going to drive the snot out of your car, indeed less expensive bolts might be perfectly adequate. For me it is just not an area for compromise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that the Ferrari OEM bolts are probably on par with some other generic brands and that the Hill Engineering bolts are better? Or did I misunderstand?

BTW, If I had a 348 I probably would drive the snot out of it too--an exceptional and underrated car IMHO. However, my Mondi is more of a GT car than an all out sports car. She likes spirited drives, but more of the country road variety. For this kind of driving, I was just hoping for the same quality item you would get in an OEM bolt from any other luxury manufacturer. I think when it comes to Ferraris, most people tend to take the position that there are no areas of compromise. I feel the same way about 99% of the items in my car. However, considering my Mondial was made in an era where Ferrari went kicking and screaming into rust proofing and was raiding the Fiat/lancia parts bin for its switchgear, I just can't imagine how any modern well made bolt is inferior to what is currently on my car. It was from that perspective that I looked at $500.00 bolts and said---you have got to be kidding me!

But I defer to the experts, and given Ricambi's reputation, I certainly respect your opinion

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Hill puts a lot of care if not down right love into their stuff. I Love my Hill stuff and would likely give him a hug if we ever meet.

It would not surprise me if they made a better bolt.

10. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes

Joe,

Go with the Hill Eng bolts, they are the only thing keeping your wheels & tyres glued to the road. They are also cheaper than the Ferrari bolts..!!

Regards,
    Phil.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Ernie,
    I actually saw these yesterday and emailed him. He may have sold them, but will get back to me. On another note, in case anyone references this thread in the future, my research seems to indicate that it is definitely not a good idea to use anything but Ferrari OEM wheel lugs or aftermarket lugs designed specifically for this application. Apparently, in addition to quality issues, the taper of the lug nuts is critical to their proper functioning. If you use generic lug nuts you run the serious risk of the wheel coming loose overtime.