Michelle Wei become a joke? | FerrariChat

Michelle Wei become a joke?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by ADON, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    #1 ADON, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    There's no doubt that she's talented and has lots of potential. She's still young and can afford to make some mistakes. But instead of hiring a real manager, I think hiring her mom and dad as her manager is becoming a fatal career move.

She has yet to prove herself against any women, and yet she keeps trying to play against the men. She played so bad against the women that she had to fake a wrist injury and withdraw so she does not shoot an 88 and lose all of her sponsor exemptions for the year. I'm sure Nike is not real happy about paying her $10 million a year to enter no tournaments, win nothing and just embarrass herself by getting her butt kicked all the time. She has been "pro" for a while now. But has not played squat.

I'm getting the vibe her parents are using her as a cash cow and are trashing her career. She should have stayed in school, went through the amateur ranks to gain experience, turned pro after graduating, jumped on the Tour and dominated. This crap about turning pro at 16, but not playing in any tournaments for years unless a sponsor gives you an exemption is not going to cut it.

I think Michelle Wei is becoming a total joke. If she does not jump on the Tour and start proving herself within the next year, I think she will fade into history. I would expect sponsors to start dropping her too. She's making twice what Annika is making probably because she was hyped as the next big thing.

Again, I think this is all a result of her father's poor decisions. I get the vibe her dad thinks she's too good to play against the women and is trying to get her on the PGA where the real big dollars are at. He wants the big money. If she's misses the cut again this week against the men, the media is going to trash her and it's all downhill for her unless she fires dad and hires a real management company.

Looks like her peers are not real happy with her either....

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-womensbritishopen-whereswie&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh, and she shot an 81 today in her practice round today. Looks are not looking good this week as expected..

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Her father is an idiot.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

IMO, 100% correct.

She is painfull to watch/hear in the interview room..... has talent, but it's been totally squandered.

4. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    She's had some very good results - half a dozen top 5s in women's majors I think. And if her 17-under through three rounds performance a few weeks ago is any indication, she may be healthy and playing well again. (failing to sign her scorecard got her disqualified from that tournament though, at the end of the 3rd round). She's still just 18 years old.

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Whether she "could have" been the next great woman golfer or not we'll never know. But you can't fault her parents for taking the money off the table when they had the chance... better then than never. The biggest idiot was Nike for shelling out so much dough for an unproven kid... but then again, she has gotten so much exposure by playing badly that Nike might have gotten their moneys worth anyway.

She might be a standout in golf, but in MLB, NBA, NFL, etc... they have a much bigger problem with unproven rookies commanding huge dollars when the veterans that get the job done end up with the short end of the stick. It's just the business I guess, I sure wish I had the talent to have a problem like this. :)

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've got to disagree with you. Wei has the chance to take the LPGA to the next level, and she's squandering it. There are plenty of opportunities for her prosper in the LPGA, but she insists on trying to compete in the PGA where she's clearly out of her league. It's gone from a news story to a joke, and the money that she's taking off the table now is chump change compared to what she could earn in the long run if she'd develop some focus.

Nike is in a tough spot. Companies are signing athletes at such young ages that they're all gambles. Sometimes it works (LeBron) and other times it doesn't, but I don't fault Nike for signing her.

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #7 TexasF355F1, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    She needs to focus more on becoming an even better player. I think her ultimate goal is to purely win on the PGA.

Become Tiger of LPGA FIRST! Then attempt to beat the guys on PGA......after the post-op. ;)

8. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I've never seen her do anything to make me think she'll take the LPGA to the next level. Lorena Ochoa is starting to do that anyway, along with a bunch of the young new girls playing well. Wei just needs to start grinding it out every week and win some tournments, like everyone else. But still, she should THANK her dad for getting that Nike money in the bank when he did, even if he is an idiot.

I agree about her trying mens PGA stuff, I always thought that was stupid.

9. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    #9 ADON, Jul 31, 2008
    She needs to hire whoever is managing Natalie Gulblis. That chick is all over TV and has not done jack squat. And she's not even that hot. I like Paula Creamer better. If Michelle does not make the cut this week, the media is going to THRASH her. Especially since she's playing against a group of guys who have hardly done anything at all. She's not even playing against the best players this week.

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Not every girl would want the "attention" that Natalie does... The LPGA only needs one slutty chick that wears way too much makeup. :eek:

In case anyone doesn't know who she is:
    http://www.stracka.com/golf-photos/default.asp?st=25&key=Natalie&key=recent

11. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    She is managed by arguably the worst class of "sports agent" in the history of modern sports management: P A R E N T S...She should fire her dad and let him stick to being a Dad. Let someone well versed in the business take over, and I think you see a complete makeover on this girl.

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's because we've never seen her focus enough on playing in the LPGA to actually get anything done. She has the ability.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Agree
    hopefully when she's old enough to realize that her parents are doing her no good she will find quality management.

Hopefully its not tooooo late!!

PS........if it were my kid I'd certainly seek out the best management company available.........Im sure Tigers management people would have been happy to have the top two players in golf on their list.

0.o2

14. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007

She's just too young to understand that parents are not good managers. She got her Nike contract when she was a minor, so I'm going to guess they control her money too. I would not be surprised if she was flat broke and doing reality shows with Corey Haim and Gary Coleman within 5 years unless she kicks mom and dad to the curb.

15. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I do not understand why everyone thinks she is such an amazing player when she has accomplished little compared to many other girls currently on the LPGA Tour.

16. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Her mind is cluttered with non-golf stuff. Remove the logjam in her brain, her talent flows...

17. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    And this is based on what? When has she ever proven all this "talent" everyone claims she has? I watch the LPGA from time to time and I have never seen her play well.

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just curious, who managed Tiger in the beginning though? Wasn't it his dad? Some parents are good managers. Then they become all about the money.

19. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Tiger's dad put his him through his own version of golf bootcamp hiw while childhood to get him where he is today.

http://www.stracka.com/golf-videos/default.asp?st=perma&id=152290

20. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    I'm not for sure, but I'm pretty sure Tiger's dad cut him loose and handed him over to IMG when he turned pro.

21. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I never really understood the hype on Michelle Wei. In any case I'm not so sure the parents have messed up completely, at least not on the financial side.

The numbers are eye opening when compared to Lorena Ochoa:

Wie: $13million dollars with on field pay of $9,890
    Ochoa: $6.26 million with on field of $4.3 million

(According to http://www.heybrewer.com/2008/02/27/michelle-wie-vs-lorena-ochoa)

If only one could make Wie play like Lorena or Lorena have Wie's sponsorship income. By the way Lorena is managed by her brother, probably she would be better off with a professional manager.

22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yeah.......ex green baret (sp), case and point

23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

She does have talent........its being wasted by poor management and bad guidance. She should be in Britain playing in the womens open, but no shes trying to beat a field of men in Reno.
    What a waste of time in my book...........

24. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #24 Slim, Jul 31, 2008
    Oh yeah? Please list all the current LPGA players who have eight top six finishes since 2005. Or include Wie's record as an amateur in 2003-05: she played in eight majors and finished, 9th, 39th , 4th, 13th, 14th, 2nd, 23rd, and 3rd. Which other young "girls" have done better?

BTW, the reason she has played several men's events is because she is not a member of the LPGA tour. She is limited to a few sponsor exemptions per year that she can play in on the LPGA tour. To get on the LPGA tour she either has to play a season in the junior tour and do well enough or go through qualifying school. So far she hasn't wanted to "waste" time in qualifying school when she could be earning money and experience against better players playing real tournaments. Though she has come close, she hasn't won yet. What I don't know is if a win in an LPGA major automatically gets you on the tour for X years like it does on the PGA tour: if so, that is probably the reason Wie hasn't gone the qualify route - she figures she'll win a women's major and get on tour that way. She's come awfully close (two second places I think).

25. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    #25 ADON, Jul 31, 2008

Those stats you are talking about are from years ago. She was actually playing better when she was 14 than she is now. It's been all downhill for her since 2006.

2007 Sony Open in Hawaii PGA MC 14 from cutline 0
    2007 Ginn Tribute Hosted by Annika LPGA WD n/a 0
    2007 LPGA Championship LPGA 84 35 behind winner 3,273
    2007 U.S. Women's Open LPGA WD n/a 0
    2007 Evian Masters LPGA T69 20 behind winner 6,626
    2007 Women's British Open LPGA MC 2 from cutline 0
    2007 Canadian Women's Open LPGA MC 4 from cutline 0
    2007 Safeway Classic LPGA MC 6 from cutline 0
    2007 Samsung World Championship* LPGA 19 36 behind winner 13,125
    2008 Fields Open in Hawaii LPGA T72 20 behind winner 2,570
    2008 Michelob ULTRA Open at Kingsmill LPGA MC 4 from cutline 0
    2008 Ladies German Open LET 6 7 behind winner 13,563[48]
    2008 Wegmans LPGA LPGA T24 12 behind winner 18,887
    2008 U.S. Women's Open LPGA MC 6 from cutline 0
    2008 Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic LPGA T46 15 behind winner 4,831
    2008 State Farm Classic LPGA DQ n/a 0

Her past two years have been an endless string of missed cuts, withdraws and scores in the 80's and the famous DQ last week. That list not even include the 8 missed cuts from the PGA. Most of the tournaments she has made the cut in, she got spanked.