Ferrari owners are a nice bunch! | FerrariChat

Ferrari owners are a nice bunch!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jav, Aug 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    As a recently annointed new member of the Ferrari family, I must admit I was rather intimidated about getting into the fold. Mostly because of my own reservations that many Ferrari owners are very, very well off, and perhaps- unapproachable. I wasn't sure how a normal Joe would be received. To that end, I'd like to share a quick experience that I hope you get a kick out of.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife, both of my teenage kids and myself had the opportunity to go to our first Ferrari event, well sort of.. it was the Tutto Italiano show here in Massachusetts. We didn't bring our F car... we just went to see and experience the event. There were quite a few Ferrari's and we ended up speaking to a few of the owners and other attendees. All of them, regardless of what they owned, were friendly, approachable,, helpful and really pleasant. We had a great time and felt welcome. I spoke to a gentleman that ownes several very high dollar Ferrari's... many singly worth more than my entire net worth and he was the nicest guy!

Flash forward one week. My daughter is enrolled in a high school honors program that requires a certian amount of community service (even during summer vacation). Ironically, this past weekend she volunteered to work concessions at a local Lions club car show event. We took her there and decided to take in the show after having enjoyed Tutto Italiano so much. I love cars in general and there was a huge number of cars on display. Some were very very nice cars, and others were much more ordinary... which is fine in my book. I have more respect for a guy that just loves and is committed to improving his Chevy Vega than I do a guy that spent 100k on a Kit Cobra and thinks his shyte don't stink even though he can't tell the difference between a throttle body and a side draft carburetor. BTW- I'm not bashing kit Cobra's.. I'd love to own one.

The funny part is that I went into this show with exact opposite expectation of how we went to Tutto. Sadly - I was wrong again! Of the owners that were actually near their cars (whch was a disappointing minority.. perhaps less than 10%) none seemed particularly freindly, inviting or welcoming at all. The difference was so stark that my wife commented aloud what I had been thinking for some time... these guys are jerks!

Who'd of thunk it?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome to the Ferrari owners family, us or most ferrari owners are friendly and we welcome all enthusiast of all types.

I believe the car owner at the local Lions Club Car show can smell Ferrari or can read I'm a Ferrari owner all over you. (jealous):)

Thanks for the great story:)

3. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    #3 BorisSF, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
    A few nights ago I was jogging and as I was jogging down my alley when a Girgio Silverstone 430 drives by, I'm standing there in awe and then I notice the guy parking, I wait till he gets out, and say "excuse me" and we spark up a nice conversation, He told me that he got his 430 on European Delivery which I didn't know you could do with Ferraris and he showed me around the car, (That engine bay is stunning..), when I asked him what kind of gearbox he had, he replied it was a Tiptronic.. which was kind of a let down since Tiptronic is in Porsches..

Anyway, long story short it shows that there are Ferrari owners that are nice, approachable and friendly people :)

4. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

The only Ferrari owner I can think of off the top of my head that I personally know is very nice.

5. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    90% of Ferrari owners are good hearted individuals who enjoy the finer things in life and love to share there stories but the remaining 10% f#ck it up for the rest of us.

Sadly they don't even realize who they are.

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Too right ... what? oh, you mean me?

:D

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    True, but I think the overwhelming majority make a great impression. The social aspect of the Ferrari is third only to the actual driving experience and inherent beauty that the cars give you.
    BT

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I found F-Chat in 2001 as I was buying my car. I needed information and was searching all over the 'net trying to learn. I found this site and signed up, I think I was around user #200. I posted my question hoping I'd get a response in a week or so. Imagine my surprise when it was answered within a few hours, by our very own F-Chat admin, Rob.

Fast forward a few months. I was still in the 'overwhelmed and thrilled' phase of ownership and someone posted an F1 watching party in my area. I'd never watched F1, but it looked like a few Ferraris were going to show up. I drove down there, expecting to be outclassed with my 15 year old car. Quite the opposite, I was made welcome and they were just a bunch of regular guys.

It's still that way. I've met people that have amazing collections of cars, but they're all just car guys. I've also met a few pricks, but less than 5%.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    From the opposite side:

As a Ferrari owner, I'm relieved when people come up and ask about the car. I enjoy the rarity and (IMO) stunning looks of it, but there's nothing inherently satisfying in having other people ignore you because they think your car cost more than their house.

I'd much rather actually talk cars. I find fascination in everything from an F40 to a 914.

10. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I always stop if asked questions about my "lowly" 328. Even when someone calls it a Lamborghini, I politely correct them, but tell them they were close (same country at least). If someone asks if it cost $200,000, I quickly correct them by telling them, "it didn't cost any more than a fully loaded top of the line mini-van. So it's not a display of wealth as much as it is a display of stupidity." All the fellow owners that I've met seem to be very similar in their responses about their cars.

Now...behind the wheel....yeah...I'll admit that I drive like a total prick. I'm gonna get arrested one of these days. I don't know if it's paranoia, but I swear I'm starting to see cops hiding on roads that I frequent. I'm starting to think they may be getting some calls about my driving. I live in relatively small town so it's not unfeasible. I've had a few cops turn and follow me from a distance. So if you're in North Alabama and a red 328 GTB goes by you at jail speeds....I apologize in advance.

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Great post!! :):)

12. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    once you have reached a point financially in your life that you can afford the car you no longer need to try to impress anyone. the peace of mind has a mellowing effect.

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Several in NO. You should hook up with them for a drink.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Absolutely. Reminds you of post #24,114 doesn't it?

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Close, but as a matter of fact..........it reminds me of post 24,113. ;);)

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was trying to be a gentleman and not bring that one up.

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thanks, but nothing compares to my post 10, 932.......

That post makes Cambodia look like Kansas! :p:p