Barn find Bizzarrini | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Barn find Bizzarrini

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Claus248, Sep 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    I was also there. 2 hour race on saturday and 2 hour race on sunday for this blue car.

2. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    and I see the owner of 0315is here on the site as well. Rwills.. Nice meeting you at anderstorp, by the way.. What happened in the race? you were faster than the Elan in the beginning but did you lose tyres and brakes? Nik

3. rwills

rwills Rookie

Jan 13, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Roger Wills
    Nik, good to meet you and chat.

Unfortunately I'm not the owner, I was just offered to drive the car. What a machine it is!

I wrote a report for a magazine - copied below.

My pace vs the Elans was strategic to save tyres and as they needed to stop for fuel. Here goes:

Having never driven the car or the circuit, I went out quite apprehensively in qualifying on Friday and decided to build speed slowly. A spin on the last corner on the very first lap told me to take that corner very slow!! The car is absolutely fantastic to drive. The handling is almost perfect, bags of power and great gearbox makes it superb. Having built up the speed I started to push harder and the times tumbled down. Down the back straight I was passing cars as if they were standing still. Staggering.

Near the end of the session the boys on the pit wall showed me P1 having timed the other quick cars meaning I was looking like taking pole position. I decided to try for one more quick lap and promptly spun it again on the last corner coming onto the pit straight. I decided I wasn't going to go a lot quicker so called it quits. The time sheets confirmed I'd taken pole position by around 1.4 seconds and the next car was around 3.7 seconds off my time. The second place car was a Lotus Elan and would need to stop for fuel during the race so the real challenge would come from the Laidlaw/Hadfield Porsche 904/6 in third. Simon Hadfield is one of the fastest guys racing historics in Europe and Irvine Laidlaw is no slouch either so they would be the team to beat. The Bizzarrini had almost 4 seconds a lap advantage in qualifying so the key tactic for the race would be to adopt a pace that kept the tyres from being destroyed and hopefully stay out of trouble.

Last race on the programme for Saturday was the 2 hour Gentlemen Drivers race for GT cars. The field was smaller than the organisers had hoped for but there was a reasonable number of local Scandinavian entrants to add to the visitors. On the pre-grid it became apparent that the Lotus Elans would be quick, especially as they were allowed to run Dunlop Ms rather than the less grippy and durable Dunlop L tyres the other GT cars were required to run. However the Elans would have a tough job to challenge for the podium due to the need to stop to refuel because of their small tank sizes. As a result, we agreed on a strategy of getting away to a lead from the other cars but if the Elans started running a lot faster than around 2 minutes per lap (nearly 6 seconds slower than my qualifying time), then I should let them go and assume the refueling they would need to do would get back any time I had lost to them, assuming nothing went wrong.

The regulations required a driver change at least twice during the race and a maximum stint of no more than 50 minutes. Being the sole driver in the Bizzarrini, I was required to stop for a minute twice during the race but could remain in the car with the engine running. With temperatures around 30 at the start, a huge V8 well back into the cabin and exhaust pipes running across the footwell and along the inner sills, heat and dehydration were going to be an issue so the boys rigged up a "camel bag" in the car to allow me to drink whenever needed. The long back straight allowed for a good break from the action each lap and was a good time to grab some fluids if needed. The start of the race was uneventful and I got away to a small lead. There was one Elan that was running quite quick and stayed on my tail for the first 15 minutes or so. I had a lot more pace down the long straight and would pull well away from him and then through the rest of the lap he would get back in behind me. I didn't want to push any harder and risk ruining my tyres so I decided to let him go and keep him in my sights. We both pitted at about the same time - around 35 minutes into the race - but he had to take on fuel and I was in and out with only a minute stop. The car ran faultlessly for all of the race except for the last 20-30 minutes when I started to get vibration through the gearstick in second and third gear under acceleration so I decided to be cautious, slowed my pace and used mainly first and fourth gears only. Unfortunately it transpired that the Laidlaw / Hadfield Porsche had run into problems and were black-flagged at one point to deal with an oil leak so the most competitive car had dropped a few laps and put them quite a way behind. The end of the race is a bit of a blur, probably a combination of adrenaline, elation and sheer exhaustion! I was so pleased to see the chequered flag and take my first really significant win. After a bit of cooling off it was upstairs to the podium and the embarassment of not being able to open the champagne bottle! Thankfully, a man with a huge amount of experience at winning races, podiums and spraying champagne, Simon Hadfield, was on hand and helped me get it open for the customary spray! The final standings were the Bizzarrini first, Laidlaw / Hadfield in the Porsche in second and the Svensson / Johannson Elan in third.

There are a couple of good clips from the weekend on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOoSjgsfW9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4yl1NUUIS0

4. P.P.

P.P. Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    I was there, working as a marshall in the pit-line. Nice powerslide in the last corner.

The 904 was leaking oil from the gearbox and some of it came in contact with the exhaustsystem so it smoked badly at times... But it all stayed on the floorpan so it was aloud to continue.

5. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    #630 Serenissma, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
    Wich 2 Bizzarrinis appeard in that film?

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

These cars were owned by stunt driver Carey Loftin in Hollywood he owned 4 or 5 Bizzarrini's so we may never know which ones were in which movie. He was a big fan of Bizzarrini's and even had one car set up with an automatic, so actors could drive it.You can also see a Bizzarrini in the opening scene of "Bullitt" shot in the underground parking garage.

IA3 0303, 0291, 0266, 0268, 0265

7. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Thank you very much i will look for the Bizzarrini in Bullit.I have seen the film many times but newer seen any Bizzarrini.I think its easier when you now the car is there. Thanks again.I think one was light blue and one was light brown.

8. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Great thread. What pains me is the tone of some exchanges and the fact that none of the "guilty" parties bothered to subscribe to even a modest "silver" level.

:)

9. 6767gt

6767gt Rookie

Jun 9, 2008
    Oh I am not one of the guilty parties .. One of the innocent ones.. Biz5300 is my other name, i get this on my cell phone. I found and sold the Bizz.. I DO Subscribe however.. But maybe the information isnt good enough.. I just kept no posting until I was thrown out.. I asked around and noone knew that you had to subscribe I you pass your posting limit.. maybe a mail should be sent out with a warning? nik biz5300

10. jtdoyleiv

jtdoyleiv Rookie

Nov 1, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jamie Doyle
  11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Goddag Magnus!

If you look in the movie the Eiger sanction (with Clint Eastwood) there is a gold Bizza in the parking lot of a hotel in the US desert.

That car was later traded by Ed Waterman of Motorcar Gallery in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

best regards,

Marc

13. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    What a great thread. I learned alot about these wonderful cars. Thank you.

14. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Saw the film on TV the other night and I am pretty sure it's a met. blue.

15. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Did you only see one Bizz ? Thanks Marc and Velocetwo.

Best regards.
    Magnus

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Only saw the one, Corey Loftin owned 5 or more Bizzarrini's and a few Rivolta's, he used to park them in spots were they would be seen on camera, but I am sure most of the film ended up on the cutting room floor.

The Love bug movie has some great footage in it including an Apollo, Corvette grand sport,Ferrari 250,cobra old yaller Osca Mt4 and the Bizzarrini

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Lots of Bizzas in the various Love Bug movies as well as 365GTC/4s.

18. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  19. ranocchio61

ranocchio61 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008
    #644 ranocchio61, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  21. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    this is BA4 0106

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #647 Nembo1777, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    http://www.imcdb.org/

The Internet movie car database, which as its name explains lists cars sen in movies in a searchable database is very complete with a huge number of entries for Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos, even as I noted before, identifying the movie in which an Alfa 33 Stradale is used but it does not yet have a Bizzarrini (or Iso Rivolta) section.

They welcome information so if some of you want to send them the name of the movie and describe the scene in which a Bizzarrini can be seen please do: it will build a nice little tribute to Giotto's creations. I have no connection with them but find it a useful site.

best regards,

Marc

23. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Viva Las vegas and Herbie in Monte carlo.

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  25. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    any idea of price?