How long will she hold? | FerrariChat

How long will she hold?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, Aug 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How long will the plug hold?

1. No way. That'll be flat before you go to sleep tonight.

2. It'll be flat in the morning.

3. It'll last for a few drives, then leave you stranded.

4. It'll last forever. Drive it, fuggaboutit.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome to my Sunday morning. Found this beyotch in my right rear tire. Not for the faint of heart, but Luca and I were determined to fix it and see what happens.

$1.23 plug
    $0.59 Diet Coke (2x for me)
    $0.30 Lemonade (1x for Luca)

We pulled it out, and shoved in one of those vulcanized rubber plugs. As of now, the tire is holding air and a careful drive around the neighborhood was successful. Place your bets on how long the tire plug will hold!

(And much to my displeasure, the Avon M500 275/40/18 is no longer even available. :( I'll be pissed if I have to buy 4 new tires because of one lousy puncture.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am hoping that didn't come from my house. That thing is huge!

3. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    What kind of car? Never heard of Avon tires.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Standard equip on his Enzo.

5. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #6 f355spider, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have never had a plug fail, ever. But I never used one on something like a Ferrari either. Though I believe it will last the life of the tire, it would be prudent to have one of those combo type patch/plug devices they make now. Of course it requires removal of the tire, but it will give you something that you may have more confidence in.

http://store.go-fast-parts.com/5709518.html

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, if you remove the wheel, get it fixed properly. :p:p

I have never seen those patches available to buy and do at home yourself. :):)

I take the wheel to a tyre joint and they plug it up similar to what you have posted. :):)

8. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Hey Daniel,

If you use the same tires for track, then I wouldn't go with any type of plug or patch.

For just street, however, you are probably ok with what you've done but I recommend keeping an eye on it for the first trip on the highway. If it starts to bulge around the repair, throw the tire away. I've had good luck with plugs in the past, though not 100% :-(
    I agree with f355spider that the patches are better.

Lou

ps: Keep those expensive Ferrari bolts on the sales shelf, where they belong :)

9. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Hi Daniel, the external tire plug is a temp repair.

Have the tire removed and patched from the inside.
    Inside patch repair will last the life of the tire.

Charles

10. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Dang big bolt :eek: !!!

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #11 fatbillybob, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
    Damn! for all the good karma you should have for save the bacon of Fchat'ers you sure get some bad luck. OK...no tracking for this tire. No canyon runs for this tire. Street driving ok but if you take a long trip you know it will loose air on a deserted highway. Anyway I would patch it from the inside for like 20 bucks. I would do it for you for free but I'm on the left coast. Our roads are so bad I can't tell you how many tires I have fixed. Once my darling wife got one nail/screw in her tire once a month for 6 months straight! Amazing her skill for finding road debris. You would be surprised however, I have plugged some pretty big holes in my day and worst case you drive around with a plug kit and use it when you need it. It is rare that you loose air and rip a tire up suddenly loose control of the car and die. In fact I have had 2 catastrophic blowouts on slicks on racetracks and the spins were suprisingly pleasant and uneventful.

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Instead of risking the tire and wheel, just get it plugged at atire shop. No fuss no muss.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The plug you used should be fine. I have used those on cars about half a dozen times with no problems ever. The bolt went straight in, I don't think I would worry. Maybe change that tire out if you are going to the track though.
    BT

14. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #14 285ferrari, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
    +1---It has always amazed me how such big objects get lodged into tires---When I was a tire changer boy back in the day I used to see crazy stuff stuck in tires...I must of plugged 100's of tires just like that and never had one come back....Those external plugs usually hold pretty well....

15. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    It will last forever, but I wouldn't be doing 100+ unless it was patched.

16. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    The real poll should be...Did this part just fall off my car LOL.

17. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Sorry to be a killjoy but I would check with your insurer as I don.t think you are insured with a plugged tyre. I know in Australia it is not classed as roadworty and if it blows and causes more damage then no payment.
    Just keep it as a spare and get a new one, its a lot safer particularly when have have that niggling thouht when you are scooting down a country road at 120mph and just as you approach a bend you think "I wonder how that plug is doing" peace of mind for $300+ is well worth it. It is probably out of balance now anyway.

18. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    P.S. Looks like a 360 key to me.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Is that another piece of metal in the tire to the right?

here is allot of luck involved a couple of years ago i had a slow leak before a big trip to yosemite in my 4x4. I took the wheel off and checked it, looked fine. After I came home 2,000 miles i kept having the problem and my tire guy found "3"!!! finishing nails inside the tire. That is a big piece of metal and on my Ferrari I would replace all 4 tires.....

JMTC

20. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree this would be best but I have been plugging tires for years and have run them down to the cords and never had a plug that I put in fail. I carry plug kits in my vehicals along with one of those cheap air hoses from Harbor Frieght that allows you to steal air from the other three tires or from the car parked next to you.

21. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    #21 glasser1, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    I'm betting that as long as you use it for normal highway driving it will last the tread life of the tire. I have plugged three tires in the last ten years and all have lasted the tread life of the tire. There was no additional patch inside the tire. I didn't even remove the wheel from the car - just plugged the tire and aired it back up with an on-board compressor.

22. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Um maybe you are not the best person to recommend a solution. Don't know whether you know it but tyres have wear indicators on them which in general would be about 10miles before they wear down to the cords. I hope you are only joking in your thread as there is no way any insurance company will pay a claim if your tyre is not street legal. Might be better if you also steal the tyres from the car next to you as well as the air.

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Speed Rated tire, your SOL. Having to buy a pair of tires is the least of the headaches. The real pain is when you get them back and the bead edge is bright shinny magnesium.

There are a number of companies that buy up all the remaining stock nationwide when a tire size is discontinued. You shouldnt have much of a problem finding a pair of those.

Dave

24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Good advice. The good news is that the plug held overnight and I can at least drive the car to ferrarioldman. I'll get 4x new ones as soon as I can find them (D500), or figure out a decent alternative. I needed an excuse to go have a nice cup of espresso at Sport Auto anyway. ;)

25. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    What wear indicators are you talking about? The wear indicators - the small bars in the grooves of the tire - indicate when the tire is worn at or below the DOT required minimum to pass inspection/be road safe. And unless you are doing ten mile long burnouts there is significantly more "meat" left in the tire - and a lot more than 10 miles - until you get to the belting.

FWIW.