What is the deal with F1 threads? | FerrariChat

What is the deal with F1 threads?

Discussion in 'F1' started by futureowner, Aug 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Why is every thread turning into bashing on whichever driver you don't like? Why are we having personal attacks on members? This is getting ridiculous and out of hand. It is one thing to state an opinion and defend it, but to the best of my knowledge, no one on this forum is an F1 driver but with the way comments and insults are being thrown around you would certainly think they are!

The other threads regarding racing don't seem to be like this at all. IRL, ALMS, I don't see the personal attacks there, I don't see the same old arguments raised every time and then the same tired name calling, accusations, etc rehashed.

I'm sorry but after reading the Paul Newman thread, after seeing lives being lost in Iraq and Afghanistan (tragic no matter what political perspective you are), people with disease, children without homes, what the hell are we doing here?

Sorry to get on my soapbox here, I think it's great that people have passion for auto racing, but in my opinion we need to couple that passion with perspective. In the amount of time it takes you to read a personal attack or make the same point that has been made hundreds of times already think about the people who in that same time have been diagnosed with cancer, who've lost their jobs through no fault of their own, poor children who are without food or who have died. Just everyone settle down, the world will keep turning no matter who is leading the wdc, no matter who wins the wdc, who wins the next grand prix, etc. Have passion but have perspective.

2. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Good post Thad and right on the button, IMO. Sadly a number of posters seem to lose all sense of perspective when they begin to discuss F1 and I don't suppose that is likely to change anytime soon.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'am assuming the ignore button/feature is there to resolve this.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    To a certain extent, I agree. But if you do that, it's really easy to lose the "flow" of the thread. Having said that, it seems the turkeys we're talking about don't:

a. "Follow the flow"...
    b. *Ever* read an entire thread anyway - That really pi$$es me off - If you've got something to say on a subject, please at least have the courtesy to know what's already been said.

To be honest, to return to the OP, I tend to simply ignore the entire R&T forum at times when I see the "signal to noise" ratio going bad. Which is a shame, as there's still some good stuff buried in the noise, but finding it becomes a real PITA.

Plus, it's not like these guys a "newbie trolls" - Most of 'em have been banned on numerous occasions but never seem to learn their lesson. Which I guess says more about them than anything......

Cheers,
    Ian

5. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #5 355, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    I have enjoyed for the most part coming on here and reading the posts. What bothers me is when a couple of posters constantly trash Ferrari. I can see it now and then but the one poster turns almost every thread into a bash Massa thread. When I step up and defend he starts to insult me, my family and my job. He does this repeatedly and gets banned for 5 days to a week.I end up getting banned simply for replying and I can honesly say that I have never called any poster names. It gets to be really sad after a while. There have been some very knowledgable posters that have left this section simply because of one person. If someone cant discuss a topic without being vulgar then they should not respond or just leave the section period. There are some in here that talk about the red mist ect ect but they also seem to forget that this is a Ferrari site. I dont think that McLaren or Renault have a site as good as this one if they have one at all and maybe thats the reason they come here. Whatever the reasons its good to have discussions involving other team supporters because it can only make things better by viewing both sides. Unfortunately some get carried away and start the insulting. If everyone kept this simple rule in mind things would work out great......If you cant say it to someones face then dont say it on here.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Fortunately, there's only 6 races left in the season ;)

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

+1 !!!!!

8. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If everyone kept this simple rule in mind things would work out great......If you cant say it to someones face then dont say it on here.

I really like that quote..... Chat room tuff guys....

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

WHAT??? ONLY 6 d--n races?!!!! WHAT THE HE-- will I do then. THATs JUST F--%% outrageous. WHY is the d--n season SO BLEEPING SHORT? I BET LH IS TO BLAME! NO NO ITS freaking that a--ho-e MASSA. I KNEW IT.....HOW WILL I VENT ALL THIS ANGER? TOO MUCH AT HOME AND MY WIFE WILL KICK MY A--!! :)

10. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LMAO nice one ......:D

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Some folks here just want to go immediately to nuclear war.

To those people I say: My mom can beat up your mom. ;)

Any time. Any place.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Real reason is F1 is so boring nowadays that everybody is somewhat frustrated or otherwise looking for reasons why they still watch it. Nothing like stirring up a fight to justify their supposed interest in F1 ...

I've stopped watching and don't miss it at all! ... but always keen to get out to watch some REAL motorracing at the local circuit.
    Pete

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Actually, if I did not own a Ferrari, I probably would not watch it. Just like to see the Fcars win. ;)

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    granted, the last few years (especially the Schumi steamroller seasons) were dreadfully boring, but this season has been amazing. good racing (for F1), lots of plot twists, lack of TC has put a greater emphasis on car control, great WDC and WCC title fights. give it another chance!

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think it would be really awesome if Massa, Kimi & Hammi gets tied on points just before Brazil. now, that'll be a mouthwatering battle :D

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bernie will interfere ... so maybe a staged mock battle is the best you will get ...

Pete

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Pete, I see where your coming from, but do you have to be quite so cynical.

I'm pretty sure I know what hacks you off about the sport, but you have to admit it's been more exciting of late, lets face it we don't really know who's going to win the WDC this year at this stage, don't forget normally a few years back it was done and dusted well before this stage for a certain driver..;)

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I agree with you 100%.

It got so annoying that I rarely post in the race section anymore. While wanting to discuss F1 racing, it felt more like a soap opera.

20. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    +1.... I'm mainly on this site for the R&T threads. I read through SOME of the F1, but I don't like the folks getting too negative.

On a different site, I had one come after me and my family one time. Sure caught him off guard when I called him by name, address and phone number, that we had known each other for several years and had broke bread together. He apologized and shut up towards me, but I've since seen him going after others. Proves the point that E-Thugs exist because confrontations in real life are just too scarey.

Debates are good and encouraged, just remember you never know who you are chatting with, so treat them with the same polite regard you would in person.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

:)

22. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    You have a very good point. I used to like reading and learning from this section. Nowadays it too often just puts me in a bad mood. Pitty.

Don't like that feature.