430 Ceramic Brake problem..... | FerrariChat

430 Ceramic Brake problem.....

Discussion in '360/430' started by DCV69, Aug 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DCV69

DCV69 Rookie

Apr 26, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    David
    My 14 month old 430 with 1900 miles on the clock has developed an issue with one of the front carbon ceramic disks which Looks like it going to need replacing under warranty.... should I insist that both front disks and pads are replaced or is it OK to just replace one disk?

Any thoughts?

Don't think it should make any difference to the answer but the car is in the UK.

thanks.

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Usually for ordinary brakes if you replace one side pad, you should replace the other. I have a BIG feeling this will be a "no" from Ferrari, but worth a shot!

Robert

3. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    It is imperative that both front discs are changed, not just one, the pads not such an issue, Ferrari wont replace these, but almost certinaly BOTH front discs.

Best
    Michael James

4. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Both must be replaced and pads for even wear

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Let us know if Ferrari gives you warranty on these hyper expensive wear items.......

6. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    Hi David

Having owed a CS and never having a prob with mine and with a Scuderia iminent id like to know what has happened to the disc ? Cracked /chipped

Regards

Joe

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari warranty policy always addresses these issues. I do not know what it is for those discs but I am sure the dealer will do whatever policy is.

They are not going to take on the liability of sticking you with brakes that do not work correctly, that I would be pretty confident of.

8. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Well I know for my challenge car Ferrari will not permit me to buy one disc, so I'd be surprised if they try and only change one. The wear indicator is front/rear, but not side to side, so I'd guess they have to change both.

9. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    1900 mi? i don't think it's important to replace both.

10. DCV69

DCV69 Rookie

Apr 26, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    David
    The issue is something new to Ferrari and has been handed from Ferrari UK back to the factory in Italy.

11. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    equals we dont have a clue ??? That sounds about right, demand that the whole assembly be replaced and stand for nothing less

good luck let us know what they try to do

Joe

12. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I'd be interested to know what the final diagnosis of the disc problem is, but I would certainly demand both sides replaced, even if you have to split parts/labor with them I would not settle for new brakes on one corner only, of course at 1900 miles there should not be very much "wear and tear" but dont let them use that as a reason.

13. Redbreed

Redbreed Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Michael
    For those of you that agree with this position, is there a technical reason why both sides should be replaced on a car that has 1900 miles? I would guess that they replace the defective disc.

14. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ

The thought process behind it is that since one corner will be "new" and the other "1900 miles used" the new side could catch stronger. Again, with such low miles, it could be minimal, but when you are dealing with a 200k sports car, do you want to have even the slightest pull on one corner while breaking at high speeds?