Dubai, Would You Vacation There? | FerrariChat

Dubai, Would You Vacation There?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bubbajoe, Sep 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bubbajoe

bubbajoe Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Bubba J.
    They have been trying to build up there tourism industry but stories like this really puts them low low low on my list of places to vacation. I can understand the alleged sex on the beach being prosecuted since underneath it all they are still a "conservative Arab nation."

But come on!!! "Public display of affection, such as touching, kissing or hugging, is illegal in Dubai and couples -- particularly if not married -- can be detained by police for indecency."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,415203,00.html

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wouldnt vacation there simply because its an obnoxious display of wealth...tacky and ostentatious is all Ive seen from there.

3. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I would because I know I'm not going to step on any condoms as I stroll down the beach!!

Soon they will require all men visiting to check Penis at door!

;)

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nope, Middle East & Africa are both on my NO list

5. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    not a chance i would give those idiots a dime of my money. too many other wonderful places to visit, screw those fools.

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yes, I would vacation there but there are a lot of other places I would rather go first. Been to Bahrain and Doha and they are interesting cities, for that region, but I would much rather visit Tokyo, Moscow, London, Paris, BA or lot of other places.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Tokyo, Australia, even Beijing, Shanghai, & Hong Kong are definately on my YES list

I dont go places where bullets are flying, where people hate Americans, where I could get kidnapped, or where murderous fanatics run wild

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Dubai fascinates me, especially the architecture and "civil engineering" projects they've done in the last decade or so. I would love to go all over the Middle East...Dubai, Qatar, Saudi, Israel, someday even Iraq (not now!). Safety would be a concern, but I think the concept that they'll behead us infidels as soon as we step off the plane is a bit irrational. except maybe in Iraq.

9. fat cab

fat cab Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    ST.LOUIS,MO
    Full Name:
    tim c
    Ive been to Africa,Kenya and Tanzania would go back in a second, Africa is a big place as long as you stay out of "hot spots" all will be OK. Going to Dubai next year with the wife and kids for a vacation .My wife's friend works for the State Department and will be there for three years.There are places in the U.S. that are very unsafe, just got to be careful where ever you are..

10. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1

11. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I remember reading somewhere that they have special equipment to find microscopic amounts of drugs. A man who had a microscopic speck of pot of his shoe got put in jail for 4 years. I would love to go there but it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It's simple, if you don't like the laws of a country, don't go there!

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Doha and Bahrain are pretty safe as far as cities go, we got the threat briefings and it seemed less threatening than some large cities here.

14. Systo

Systo Karting

Feb 15, 2007
    Plano
    Full Name:
    A.J.
  15. The ostentatious nature of the city is wonderful in my opinion. It's a rich country full of rich people, you're going to see fancy and expensive things all over on every corner, everyday, at everytime of the day. There is nothing wrong with that. I've considered going to Dubai, but the recent bunch of really stupid imprisonments and cases scares me away. A guy had a sandwich in London and their was a microscopic particle of a poppy seed in his pocket and he went to prison. A couple was caught having sex on the beach and was sent to prison. Some DJ from London flew there and had a microscopic particle of ganja on his shoe and went to jail. Eh... I will pass thanks.

Go to Monaco or Moscow. Much safer without the stupid laws, you also get the same ostentatious display of wealth, status, and power.

16. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Meh... so, no to OTC (Over The Counter) & prescription medications, yet yes to Russian/Eastern'Bloc hookers and 25yr+ old Scotch & fine French Cogniacs (alcohol is even more forbidden than narcotics, as per the Quran)?!?

Such hypocrisy. . .

17. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    I lived there for 11 years and still go back once or twice a year. Got a great place down there and it's really a beautiful place.
    Sorry to the people who've posted here but the ignorance kills me in this thread. We're not all "murderous fanatics". I would like to think that I have turned out just fine. Yes it is a rich country, there's no denying that. It is terribly untrue however that people are flaunting their money for the wrong reasons. People do it with the greatest intentions and not to appear ostentatious. Chances are you can walk down the Jumeira and yes you will notice the flamboyant architecture, but you won't see people displaying their wealth to stick it into other people's faces. That little article about PDAs is complete BS in my opinion because I've lived there and I've done that. You don't get locked up for that kind of stuff. I don't think the police is overly strict. They do what's expected of them, but don't step over the line as often as Western cops. Personally I haven't experienced the overly strict control everyone has been hearing about.

Frankly I think people make too many assumptions based on the BS fed to them by the media which really doesn't paint a perfect image of the middle east (and for just cause) but I don't believe they should categorize everyone based on people sharing the same heritage a few centuries ago.

About vacationing in UAE, depending on where you go it's actually quite cheap. You can obviously get great suites at the Burj Al Arab or the Jumeira beach hotel etc.. but if you go outside the city to a neighboring place called Sharjah you can probably get the same accommodations for half the price. There are a lot of great places to visit in the whole country. The Jabal Hafeet natural springs, Sharjah has some beautiful places, and frankly I think most of the beauty of the country is outside Dubai, but maybe that's just my opinion.

Put preconceived notions behind you and do some research with an open mind, you will see that there is beauty in the Arabian Gulf.

Walid.

18. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

Since you've lived there and we don't always get the full picture here in "USA", would you mind answering something for me? Do you know where the country is getting all it's money from? Is it mainly oil? Imports? Outsourcing of other countries bringing in business/profits? How do they treat their citizens? I know these are general questions, but I'm just curious.

19. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Ok, first every country has dumb laws (burning a US flag anyone ?), Singapore has probably the toughest laws in the world, yet it's a very nice place to be (unless of course you carry pot etc., but then again, everybody knows the risks).
    As for Dubai, been there (Tacky Burj Al Arab), and frankly it's high flying crap. There is no substance at all, the rich guys spent their time driving around from one place to another, wondering what to do next (beside hanging around in Starbucks playing with their mopiles phones). There is nothing -at all- to see (any flyover state with a shoelace museum has probably more), while the sea is basically the continuation of the land : a desert (this time underwater).
    As for foreigner hate, there is no display of it, and basically, it's rather rare to spot in any part of the middle east (if you ommit the Gaza strip).
    I have lived quite some time in Egypt and stayed somehow out of the crowd (very white skin, blond hair, blue eyes), yet I never had any display of hatred, on the contrary, which is given the average level of education in some parts of the country and their poverty rather amazing. I doubt a Saudi traditionnally dressed could spend that much time in Okie-country alive.
    Therefore, anyone saying he wouldn't go is damn right to do so, but most for the bad reasons :D
    If you want to see middle east, go to Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt... Iran has a lot to show as well, as has Lybia (though the latter two aren't that tourist friendly yet, especially if you appreciate a sip of wine, pitty thinking that syrah comes from Iran...)

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Been there about six times.

Unless you are an engineer and interested in mega projects that will not last 100 years...

...DON'T GO!

21. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    +1...

Basically, 90 % of all foreigners who go there are paid to... that says it all... And again, mark my words, in 10-20 years from now, it will as outdated as teneriffe in Spain or so.

22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Jordon is high on my list. Jordan's Queen Amidala or whatever is hot, too.

23. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I guess it all depends your own experience. Mine is somewhere between gougouls and waleed's. There is nothing to see really (i do not feel it's a good tourist destination) but it's a very interesting country/city to visit business wise and in matters of sociology and local subculture (if you're into these things, personally i love to see how people live, work, etc.). it's very interesting because full of controversy.
    This said, to stay ontopic, prostitution is soaring, means you crawl to your hotel with a hooker and it goes unnoticed. To continue ontopic, the sole of one pair of my shoes has cannabis leaves as design (hard to explain exaclty what it is like, you have to see it by yourself) and in some european countries i would be fined for public display of drug image or whatever it's called. In Dubai, i went thru customs with them (and not only) and it was just fine.

24. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Sadly this takes about $10k to get.

25. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    This was said assuming the person would want to go there anyways.

OT: If you guys are into arab culture, Qatar is more interesting, it's like Saudi, but without crazy people.