Thomassimas | FerrariChat

Thomassimas

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by william, Jun 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Looking for info and photos about Tom Meade's creations: the Thomassimas.
    The Californian hand built a handfull of cars at Modena in the 60s.

2. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    I have a magazine article with pictures of Tom Meade next to some of his creations : Thomassima I, Thomassima II, some 250GTs with modified headlamps. Will post it asap.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Thanks sicqnus.
    I have always been intrigued by these cars, I don't know why, but in fact I know very little about them.

4. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    #4 BigAl, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    #5 sicqnus, Jun 7, 2006
  6. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Tom Meade article (France - 2000) with an interview of Thomas Meade made in 2000.
    Title : "An american in Modena". Pictures are from Dick Merrit and Tom Meade's archives.
    He arrived in Modena at the end of 1960 as a young american guy with a true passion for Italian cars and design.
    Arrived too late the first day to visit the Ferrari factory, he was sent to the Maserati factory where he had the opportunity to make a "little find".
    He noticed an old racing car under a cover and asked if he could buy the car. It was a 350S, chassis number #03503. He finally bought the car for a mere $420.
    Later he bought several racing and stradale Maseratis and Ferraris including Lussos, Californias, 275P, 330P, etc... He made a few original bodies with the help of some of his friends who were workers at the carrozzeria Fantuzzi. And later he created his own cars, the Thomassimas.

Links below. Sorry, too lazy to translate all.
    Enjoy.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/175/015ub.jpg
    http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8441/024lw.jpg
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2166/039di.jpg
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3092/041cc.jpg
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8864/059ra.jpg
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8964/065qt.jpg
    http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8255/077jv.jpg
    http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7247/087nd.jpg

7. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    if you look closely at the windscreen of the "p4" inspired car you may notice it's really a rear window from an early alfa giulietta sprint....

8. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Where is Thomassina II today ?

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To sicqnus, BigAl & Olczyk, many Thanks.
    I shall save these photos and translate the French article, and know a bit more about these strange creatures.
    Thanks again.

11. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Olczyk,

Any hi-res versions of those photos? Also, does anyone know the whereabouts of the cars now? The "T3" is very intriguing.

12. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #12 P4Replica, Jan 4, 2008
    Rather than keep taking 'The Thomassima II of Tom Meade' thread off-topic, I thought it better to give this other thread a 'bump'. ;)

Over the last week or two, I've been in contact with Jean-Joseph Quelennec, a french Thomassima enthusiast who, until recently, used to post on the french motoring forum www.autotitre.com as 'CROTALE'.

He has kindly provided me with several scans of period magazine articles - some of which I hadn't seen before.
    Here's another interesting one that he came up with. It's a one page-article from AutoSport, 9th July 1970. :)

The full-sized scan, courtesey of Jean-Joseph, can be found here: http://up.autotitre.com/forum/up/f0b4ddda9f.jpg

There are a couple of interesting quotes in the text:

Is there a 250GTO s/n still unaccounted for ? I wasn't aware there was. :confused:

and ....
    Comments anybody ? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The article I published in Auto Passion is the same except translated into French, that I published earlier in Sports Car International which was then used by that website autochannel thought they did not give me credit.

When I called them years ago to complain some rude idiot just became offensive. The internet really is the wild west...

Marc Sonnery

14. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    When talking to Tom a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned that the Thomassima III has a competition 250 engine. Although he didn't specify, I assumed the car to be based on a SWB. I'll ask him when I see him next week. I can say that it is not based on a GTO chassis.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Where is his current project? He was working on his ultimate final project when I spoke to him a bit over a year ago. His story should become a book, quite interesting.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ron:

I love Tom to death interviewing him for those articles in 1996 was one of the most enjoyable articles I ever did, he had not been interviewed in 20 years at the time but I just doubt that he will do another car: he is getting on in years and has been talking about his great projects for years...

Marc

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I just hope Tom will make an effort to get the Thomassima III rolling again. Last time I spoke to him by phone, he told me that the engine was out, and he needed to have all the headers and side-pipes re-chromed. With the restoration of the Thomassima II progressing nicely, it would be great to see the two of them, and Tom Meade re-united. I've already tentatively discussed this with Doug Nye, who is on the selection committee for the Goodwood Festival - and basically they have an open invitation - he'd love to see them there. :)

18. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    He spoke to me of a current project with specially designed wheels, tail lights created to his design by a glassblower and a very special Ferrari engine. I don't know how long the project has been in the works, but I'll have a better idea next week.

Marc is right. As with every artist, the ideas far outnumber the creations. What Tom has always lacked, in my view, is someone to handle the pragmatic, financial arrangements that would have allowed him to become a well-funded design house.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well I just went through my Tom Meade file here for the first time in years and there are some interesting items, sice I don't have scanner I will photograph them. download them and upload them, by which time they will be of horrible quality but it is better than nothing!

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I realized it was over two years ago I spoke to Tom at length, and what you just mentioned was the status at that time. He was in California I believe dealing with his mother. Had the wheels and the taillights done there, I think.

So this project has been going on for some time. Probably financial, these one offs are no longer cheap.

21. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    I know him personally. He is here in his mom's house in Los Angeles near UCLA . He is working on some old Ferrari's in his back yard!! He just has the frames though.

22. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    In Texas undergoing restoration.

23. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  24. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    #24 krasnavian, Sep 9, 2008
  25. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    That a real car? Looks interesting. Anyone have any more?

Alberto