1989 328 - oem radio? | FerrariChat

1989 328 - oem radio?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Sep 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #1 mike996, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
    Was a radio oem with the 89 328? If so, what was it? I can't find a reference to the radio in the owners manual. Mine has a Kenwood, added in the mid 90s but it's too menu-intensive and difficult to use. It's like marketers forgot that people just want something easy to use, NOT something that you have to stare at (while driving) to make adjustments. Yes, the speakers sound like Cr@p but that's a different issue...

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #2 Bullfighter, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe the car came from Italy with no radio, although dealers installed them here.

Blanking plate in the 328 looks like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #3 Dino944, Sep 9, 2008
    There was no OEM radio for 328s. It was delivered to the dealer with speakers, wiring and antenna. Ferrari left it up to the customer & dealer to decide what radio would go in it. I've seen lots of 328s with Blaupunkts, Kenwoods, and Alpines. Many dealers including our own suggested Blaupunkts because when lit up it kind of matched the orange background lighting of the gauges in the 328. But we were never thrilled with Blaupunkts in our Porsches and went with Alpine. In 2006 I took the original Alpine single CD player out (saved it) and just installed a simple but newer Alpine single CD with removeable face plate...the early CD players skip over the slightest pebble in the road. I've included a picture of my current Alpine. Four buttons light up kind of bluish white, and the rest of the buttons are back lit and very simple, the radio station numbers are white on black background. It does not create the jukebox looks of some modern units. The original Alpine had 6 large green preset buttons and the display was green on a black background.

Best regards,
    Dino

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks guys, excellent info!

5. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Like Dino said, these cars did not come with radios from the factory. Just speakers and an antenna. The original owner of my 88.5 328 installed an Alpine AM/FM/casstte head unit in the dash and a 6 CD changer in the luggage compartment. Still works great and the cassette player adds that period-correct touch.

I can't even remember what color the radio lights up, I haven't turned it on in almost 2 years.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    A winter project of mine is removing door panels and servicing the window mechanism.
    Does anyone have a recommendation on a door speaker replacement? I have already replaced the tweeters in the dash.
    1990 Mondial t. I did get an Alpine this year to replace the Blaup. that the last owner installed.

7. judrick

judrick Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Knoxville,TN
    Full Name:
    Rick Haynes
    My 89 328 had a cassette player when I purchased it May 2007. I searched for months trying to find something to replace the cassette player. Everything these days seems to be chrome and blue. Finally, I found a CD player that was black and had the orange backgound light that matched the rest of the instrumentation. I purchased a used Nakamichi CD400 on ebay, I paid about $250.00 for the unit it looks great and works great. Nakamichi is no longer in business as of 2004 I think. I looked on ebay before replying to this thread and found that you can buy a new one for $389.00. The display on ebay shows a green background but you can set it to display orange.

8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    My understanding is that Blaupunkts used to be good, but another company bought them and continued to use the name on very low-quality stereos.

In 1990 I acquired a Saab with a Blaupunkt already in it.

Four times the unit gave out, I drove to the factory outlet, they installed another one. To their credit, there was always a one-year warranty, but the failure rate of my Blaupunkts was outrageous.

Given that experience, I'd never put a Blaupunkt in a Ferrari. Considering that the 328 is about 20 years old now, and they didn't come with stereos installed from the factory, I recommend that you just get whatever you like if you MUST have a stereo.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    In 3 out of four Porsches we had Blaupunkts, as it was std equipment for Porsches in the late 1980s. Each Blaupunkt was mediocre at best and no where near the quality of Alpine, or Nakamichi or a few other aftermarket brands. As there was no OEM radio in 328, and even if you have it judged in a FCA councourse event they don't take points off for modern radios it really does not matter which radio a person chooses. Its just best to keep it simple without lots of colorful graphics or it can really detract from the interior's appearance.

Best regards,
    Dino

10. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Nakamichi had a great reputation back in the 1980s & 90s, but I'm not sure what happened to them in recent years. I did consider Nakamichi when I was shopping for a more modern unit in 2006, but like you I found they only seemed to be available used. Also the few pix I saw of Nakamichi's that were available did not look as high in quality as older units I had seen years ago.

On my current Alpine I can change the color of the buttons and display, I just have to take the time to read the manual to figure out how to do it.

Best regards,
    Dino

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #11 mike996, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    Guess i'lll just leave the Kenwood in place. Eventually I may learn how to make it scan for stations. Every other car radio I had that could do that simply had a button that said "scan." This is hidden somewhere in the menu which is explained in the 43 page (!) manual on how to use the radio. I kind of like the "one knob to turn it on/off/adjust volume, one knob to dial in stations, and a few pushbuttons to save station choices" concept but that seems long gone...

It's just a CAR radio for Chrissake! ;)

This added - I just thought of it - I wonder if I even have door speakers? I don't see a grill for them - was there one (grill)? And I can't hear them when the radio's on. I just hear the awful, shrill screech of those dash tweeters. Guess I'll look for them today...

12. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I'm with you. I think that a lot of our high-tech toys have way too many "features" and are way too complicated. I used my cell phone to snap a picture once, and the resolution's terrible; I'd rather just have a phone that makes and receives calls instead of one that's complicated to use. On another thread, I stated my preference for standard transmission and clutch (although I think paddles should be a choice for those who want it), and I'd even be happier if my 308 had hand-crank windows rather than electric - too many possibilities of problems that are difficult to fix while the old way works fine for me. ;)

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The car does have the door speakers - no grills. I could hear their contribution with the engine off. The radio has a "custom" eq feature and some work with that (with the book open) got it to sound a bit better. Even found the scan capability - simply hold down the button that increments the station frequency for 2 seconds and it enters scan. Hmm..why didn't I think of that? ;) To turn the radio off, you hold down the "source" button for 2 seconds...OF COURSE! Jeez!

14. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I bought my 328 with a "ferrari" radio Cassette type 4377 ( made by Becker)

on occasion i've seen similar Ferrari-supported (at least it's written Ferrari on the front) on Ebay.

With the cassette player it looks quite age-right and with an adapter-cassette a can play my mp3's as well.
    Sounds pretty good and looks oke too

( but i rather like to hear the engine..)

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yup. That's what is in my '87.

16. EP75

EP75 Karting

Aug 26, 2008
    #16 EP75, Oct 6, 2008
  17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Yes, that brings me right back to 1987. I had my first car of my own, a 4-dr Saab 900 Turbo, and the stereos got torn out every two or three weeks. Tried the "removable" option (as yours appears to be) for a while, but carrying the darn thing around began to be a pain.

One night I got lazy and just slipped it under the seat, thinking I was safe because I was parked right in front of my parents' house.

Thieves smashed the window, removed the stereo from beneath the driver's seat, and stole my speakers to boot.

I love the look of the period cassette player in your 328, but the folding handle of the removable unit brings back unpleasant memories. ;)

18. EP75

EP75 Karting

Aug 26, 2008
    Hi all,
    I will take care...
    I have one more question with this radio.
    Each time i stop, il loose the preset stations. I thought that there was a battery behind but i did not see it.
    Is anyone know what i have to do to keep all my selection of chanels ?

Regards,

EP75.

Soory for my bad english, i am french !!!

19. Karl O.

Karl O. Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    The radio will have two separate power leads: one wire will provide the radio with a constant 12 volts, even when the ignition is switched off. The other will provide power only when the ignition is switched to on. The constant power wire provides the radio with a very small amount of power to keep the radio presets in memory.

Most likely, your radio is either installed incorrectly- such that the constant 12 volt wire is not connected to the radio- or a fuse on that wire is blown. Any competent mobile electronics shop could fix that for you pretty easily.

Personally, I'd start with the car's fusebox to check for blown fuses first.

20. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If (99% will) your stock speakers need to be rebuilt- here is a good contact for that service. If I remember right was somewhere around $100 cant remember did it a couple months ago.
    Super fast turn around. No worries as to if replacements will fit. They sound fine when restored. I used them also on my Lexus SC430, as the Lexus ones tear up quick also....

http://www.speakerdoctor.com

Chris

21. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    #21 Red 328 GTS, Oct 11, 2008
    I spoke to Ferrari in Australia when I bought my car and they confirmed that due to different frequencies around the world, dealers were left to fit a system in consultation with the new car buyer. I've looked at 10 328's over the last 12 months and all that had period correct radios were all different.

One option you guys may like to consider is fitting a Ferrari branded Becker Radio/CD player from a 360.
    This is what my PO did and it fits great, looks OEM and blends in with the general aesthetics of the dash.
    There always seems to be one or two on Ebay somewhere in the world.

Here is one in Italy.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140273261198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Here's mine.
    Cheers,

Bob.

22. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i have this one in my 328 with cassette player
    just last week i bought the same one for my 308 which came with a much newer samsung-thing. Not for my 308 !!
    This Becker i bought over ebay for 49 GBP only! So check out and take tiome to buy.