Mondial intermediate gear failure.. | FerrariChat

Mondial intermediate gear failure..

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by theunissenguido, Sep 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #1 theunissenguido, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,
    Went out with the F-chat meeting last friday here in Belguim.
    Everything went well until driving back home. Some little noise coming from clutch side. When pressing the clutch the noise stopped. In gear and out of gear the noise came back.
    So opened the gearbox transmission and find the intermediate gear with material damage. See pictures....
    Anyone has a relative good place to find a good/used or new one ? Or maybe an other sollution....maybe taking away some material and a bigger bearing ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am sure others will weigh in, but that gear and bearing is under many times less load than other bearings further downstream, and I would be very concerned with that type of metal debris circulating throughout the gearbox. Bearing material is extremely hard, and other bearings and gears will not appreciate rolling through it any better than that one did. At the very least the gearbox should be thoroughly washed out with solvent and as much of the gearbox inspected in situ as is possible. I would find another gear and bearing though and not waste any time trying to alter the part/s.

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Although I agree with flushing the transmission, I'd be very careful using solvents, as you don't want to damage any seals. Wouldn't something like diesel do a safer job?

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Solvent wont harm anything.

But your going to get all the debris out from flushing it in the car either, just most of it.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Does a 308 have a magnetic gearbox plug? I've always liked them.

6. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #6 theunissenguido, Sep 23, 2008
    Ok, today I took of the bearings. I used a spanner and puller. First of all I heated the material around the bearing with a acyteleen burner. I wanted the steel ring also to come off, so putting all back together will be easyer.

I have 2 solutions :
    1 - buying a new gear (just received a mail from : Donald Writesman ([email protected]) Ferrparts in US...
    The price for the gear is $1280.00 and the shipping is $22.80 all about 900 euro. Other prices until now : 1 x 126066 = £556.00, in stock (England) about 720 euro ; those gears must be in pure gold...
    or
    2 - machining the bad side of with 1 mm and putting a bearing with a smaller diameter.
    The manager of my engine-workshop tells me the gear is "all hardened steel". So there is no problem with a soft inside, like most of the gears are.
    The matching bearing will make the difference to put all together in place.

O I forget to tell : the former owner of the car told me his garage hat changed the transmission housing in to a new model...he did'nt know what. He whas thinking a 328 ...
    And yes, the number on my gear is 126066 :
    Ferrari 328 (1988) - INTERMEDIATE GEAR -FOR C7 -C8 AND US
    Part No. 126066

So if anyone out there has a spare gear with this number 126066 in good shape...please let me know.

The procedure of cleaning the gearbox....I will wash it out with petrol and grease the parts again with bearing lube.
    My gearbox has 2 magnetic plugs....

Guido

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Mineral spirits (aka Stoddard Solvent) will do a very good job of cleaning out the old oil, but won't harm the seals.

Gasolene has some fairly aggressive chemicals in it (eg: toluene) that may or may not hurt the seals. Diesel won't hurt the seals, but isn't a very good solvent. Kerosene, is also probably ok, again not a very good solvent, & tends to leave a gummy residue.

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #8 theunissenguido, Sep 26, 2008
    Ok, guys

Maranello Concessionaires in Egham (UK) helpt me out with this. Within 1 day delivered at my home. Its new and identical to the old one. And exellent price to.....
    Great "THANKS" to does people from Ferrari in Egham.

Guido

Philjay50 likes this.