Paul Newman and Ferrari | FerrariChat

Paul Newman and Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GIOTTO, Sep 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #1 GIOTTO, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Modulo_B and Christian.Fr like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice guy. I talked to him at Daytona a few years back. He would talk about cars, but not acting. He used to always be with the CART team when it came up to Road America. He will be missed. A GREAT ACTOR!!!. Do you have any more photos of his 308??

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    RIP

Saw him at tracks several times and he was always humble discrete, out to enjoy his passion, at Daytona the year he came second in the 24hrs he had a big smile on his face. I knew Kevin Jeanette a little bit so found myself with Kevin, a couple of other people and him in a conversation. We did not talk, I just listened but after a minute he gave me a big smile as if to thank me for not bothering him, just treating him like another car guy.

He once gave Enzo a crystal prancing horse which Ferrari did keep in his office, unlike most gifts.

Modulo_B likes this.
  4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #4 GIOTTO, Sep 27, 2008
    Here is another photo with that same GTB. I think this car was auctioned some years ago. Maybe somebody knows more...?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    http://alex62.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/16/newman77.jpg

# 14437 Daytona Comp 5th at Daytona 24 hrs in '77 sharing with Milt Minter and EFR

http://www.ferrariblog.net/ferrari-lifestyle/paul-newman-tests-the-ferrari-599-gtb

at Fiorano 2 yrs ago

"He got a lot of opportunities to drive some really nice cars and won his class at the Daytona 24 Hours at the age of 70."That was Paul. A great guy who was always ready to have a good time in racing as well as trying to do everything he could do to help kids and everyone around him." Sebastien Bourdais

6. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Around here Im sure someone knows...
    ;)

7. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    good story.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #8 Ed Niles, Sep 27, 2008
    Modulo_B likes this.
  9. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    When I was about 10, I got a chance to meet him at Laguna Seca (1981? IMSA? The ZX?). After chatting him up about his car, he spent a good five minutes talking shop with me next to a 512BB that I assumed was his. I don't know who'd have given a smart aleck kid like me the time of day but he did.

I remember regretting that I didn't ask for his autograph but in hindsight, I think that's why he didn't shoo me away. He was a regular car guy, just like the rest of us.

Modulo_B likes this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for the pictures, Ed. I was there too.

Jack.

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #11 GIOTTO, Sep 28, 2008
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Excellent and famous photo, had not seen it in many years: thanks!

13. Hairy

Hairy Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    #13 Hairy, Sep 28, 2008
    pantera gr4 likes this.
  14. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #14 Boudewijn, Sep 28, 2008
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    During those desert sped record runs they did? If that was the event -looks like it- they used the Comp Daytona shown in the photo and a 512M, 1020 I believe, not sure off the top of my head...

16. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Just heard over the news that Mr. Newman passed away. Wonderful individual, wonderful life. RIP. Jimmy

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thanks for the great photos GIOTTO, Ed Niles and the others!!

18. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I had the great privilege of competing against him, both of us in Datsun 510s, at Summit Point and Pocono in SCCA events in 1972. I believe the spring national at Summit Point in 1972 was his first race following drivers school. He beat me both times. So did Janet Guthrie. I have this wonderful image of him in my mind wearing bib overalls in the evening heat at Summit Point, no shirt, tennis shoes, holding a willow branch in one hand roasting a hotdog over an open fire in the paddock and a can of Bud in the other. Reminded me of scenes in Cool Hand Luke. He was always pleasant to me as a fellow competer in the same class, and I enjoyed meeting him. I also have a mental image of him lapping me, he was a gifted driver. He never gave autographs, but he was quick to shake hands with fellow competers. He was a class act in my opinion and I always admired him whether on the track or the screen. RIP, PLN.

Ed

Modulo_B and Jasonberkeley like this.
  19. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Newman a lot of things, but for many years, racing came first
    By John Oreovicz
    Special to ESPN.com

Paul Newman, who died Friday from cancer at the age of 83, was best-known as one of the most famous actors in the world and founder of the popular Newman's Own brand of organic food products, which has donated more than $250 million of after-tax profits to charity since 1982.

But readers of this Web site likely paid more attention to his second career in auto racing, as a driver and team owner.

Born Jan. 25, 1925 in Shaker Heights, Ohio, Newman showed an early propensity for acting and landed his first motion-picture role in 1954. He went on to star in more than 60 movies, including "The Long Hot Summer," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "The Hustler," "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Sting," "Slap Shot," "Absence of Malice," "The Verdict," "Nobody's Fool" and "Cars."

He garnered 10 Academy Award nominations, including eight for Best Actor. His sole Oscar win came in 1986 (Best Actor) when he reprised his role from "The Hustler" as Fast Eddie Felson alongside Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money."

Newman began racing cars in 1972, three years after completing the movie "Winning," in which his character, Frank Capua, was a struggling race car driver who turned his career around by winning the Indianapolis 500. The movie's subplot involved a three-way love triangle between Capua, his wife Elora (played by Newman's real-life spouse Joanne Woodward, whom he married in 1958) and rival Luther Erding, portrayed by Robert Wagner.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Robert Gabriel

Paul Newman got the racing bug while preparing for the movie "Winning." He became a champion driver in SCCA and owner in Indy cars.

Newman and Wagner attended the Bob Bondurant racing school to prepare for the movie, and Newman performed many of the at-speed racing scenes himself without the aid of a stunt driver. Several contemporary Indy car drivers made cameo appearances in "Winning," and during the filming Newman was immersed in a golden era of Indy car racing when stars like Mario Andretti, Bobby Unser and A.J. Foyt were arguably at the peak of their careers.

The experience resonated with Newman for the rest of his life, to the point that he embarked on a successful second career as a driver. Driving a Lotus Elan, he won his first-ever Sports Car Club of America race in 1972 before graduating to a series of ever-more powerful Datsun racing sedans while winning four SCCA professional national championships between 1979 and 1986.

"I had a great deal of fun filming ['Winning'] but I never really had a chance to stretch my legs out and find out what I could do in a car," Newman told me in 2004. "It actually took me three years of rearranging my schedule before I could find time to get my license and everything. After that, I never did a film between April and September or October. [Racing] was all I did."

Newman's greatest accomplishment as a driver was a second-place finish in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in '79, driving a Porsche 935. He remained active in endurance racing, making his last start at the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway in 2006 at the age of 81.

When he was racing, Newman kept a low profile at the track and maintained an intense focus on the task at hand. He always raced under the name P.L. Newman to avoid drawing attention to his status as a Hollywood icon.

Paul Newman: 1925-2008
    Folks often wondered what fueled Paul Newman's passion for auto racing. It was the same thing that made him such a brilliant actor: He loved winning. Terry Blount
    • Watch: Remembering Paul
    • Frei: He made "Slap Shot"
    • Zoom Gallery: Paul Newman

"I found I had enjoyed the precision of it, of controlling those cars," he told Sports Illustrated in 1980. "I could see it would be a gas to do something like that really well.

"There's probably as much bull in racing as there is in Hollywood, which is really saying something," he added. "The difference is that in racing no one really takes it seriously. To me, that makes racing fun, and for the most part, I enjoy the people in racing a lot more than the people in Hollywood."

In 1977, Newman teamed with Bill Freeman to form Newman-Freeman Racing; they entered cars driven by Elliott Forbes-Robinson (and later, future Formula One World Champion Keke Rosberg and Danny Sullivan) in the "new-era" SCCA Can-Am sports car series through 1982.

The new Can-Am was dominated by a team owned by Carl Haas, who was the U.S. distributor for Lola cars and Hewland gearboxes. Many of the competitors griped about how Haas withheld the latest and greatest parts from Lola customers, so Newman was surprised to receive an offer from the cigar-chomping magnate in late 1982.

"Carl had been supplying me with cars for the Can-Am," Newman told author Gordon Kirby. "We didn't have what I would call a dynamite relationship, and when I left the Can-Am, I really was going to get out of racing.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Darron Cummings

Paul Newman was back at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this May. It was the first time in years he had been there for the buildup to the Indy 500.

"Then Carl called and said, 'How would you like to go Indy car racing?' And smoke started coming out of my ears. I said, 'Are you nuts? I shouldn't even be listening to this invitation.' Then he said 'What if I could get Mario Andretti to drive?' And I said, 'Where would you like to meet?'"

Newman/Haas Racing became one of the most enduring and successful teams in Indy car racing. Andretti won the 1984 Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) championship for the Lincolnshire, Ill.-based team, and Mario's son Michael added a second title in 1991. Newman/Haas has compiled 107 Indy car race wins since 1983, and other drivers have won championships for the team, including Nigel Mansell (1993), Cristiano da Matta (2002) and Sebastien Bourdais (2004-07).

Ironically, the only major race the team now known as Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing failed to win was the Indianapolis 500, though it achieved second-place finishes on two occasions.

In recent years, Newman's relationship with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was antagonistic; when the Speedway changed its catering rules in 1995 to allow only IMS-approved suppliers, Newman flaunted authority (and was later fined) by having his team chefs prepare food for the Newman/Haas crew, which he personally carted into the garage area.

When IMS CEO Tony George split American open-wheel racing in 1996 by forming the Indy Racing League, Newman became a bitter opponent of the IRL and staunch supporter of CART and later Champ Car. After the 1995 race, Newman did not again set foot on Indianapolis Motor Speedway grounds until the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard last year -- and even then, he came to accept money for his charity. The appearance came only months before the gutted remains of Champ Car (including Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing) were absorbed into the IRL-sanctioned IndyCar Series.

"[Reunification] was absolutely necessary for both groups," he said during his 2008 Pole Day appearance. "It's tragic that it didn't happen sooner, but it's good that it at least happened when it did. I think it's going to be a great boost for both groups.

"It's good to be back at Indianapolis," he added. "It brings back a lot of fond memories. My favorite tradition was that it took a whole month. Indy started at the first of May, and you had your reservation at the Speedway Motel. If you wanted a room for two days, you took it for the whole month or you wouldn't get it."

Newman's enthusiasm for racing and for his team was so great that he attended most CART or Champ Car races until the past year or so, when his battle with cancer reached the critical stage.

"I think if you have a passion for one thing, it bleeds back into a lot of other things," he said in 2004. "In my younger and medium years I was passionate about acting, and as that kind of became tiresome, it was replaced by racing. Then some of that bled back into my acting and my family."

My favorite memory of Newman dates to 1999, when upon my suggestion, he agreed to reprise his Frank Capua role from "Winning" to be interviewed by John Szymanski for Champ Car magazine. We got Mario Andretti to donate his Indy 500 winner's ring for the photo shoot, and not surprisingly, Newman easily slipped back into character 30 years later.

Szymanski wrapped up the interview by asking "Capua" what he would have done differently with his career.

"I think I would have become an actor," he replied. "Acting is a lot like racing. It's the same type of discipline -- one and only one person to depend on in your work, on the track or on the stage. Actually, you need a good team around you in both careers.

"I also wouldn't have gone out and worked on the car the day you-know-what [Erding's Speedway Motel tryst with Capua's wife] happened," he concluded. "I never saw a woman look better than Elora, and I'm still crazy about her."

Those final words could just as well have come from Paul Newman talking about Joanne Woodward.

John Oreovicz covers open-wheel racing for National Speed Sport News and ESPN.com.

20. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #20 GaryReed, Sep 29, 2008
    The ex-Newman 308 and it's transporter/truck are both in a car collection here in Seattle.

The current owner has raced it in the Ferrari/Shell Historic Races and he's been very successful with it.

Here's a shot of Paul with a 599GTB in 2006.

-------------------------
    Paul Newman was given a personal guided tour of Ferrari’s Maranello factory by Ferrari Director General, Jean Todt, and Ferrari’s top test driver, Dario Benuzzi, demonstrated the 599 GTB on the test track after which it is named, Fiorano, prior to Paul Newman taking to the track himself.
    --------------------------

Christian.Fr likes this.
  21. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #21 400iGuy, Oct 15, 2008
    Does anyone have info on this Daytona? Serial Number? Where it is now?

Al

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    15685, owned at the time by Ken Starbird of L.A.
    Now in France.
    Marcel Massini

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    As we have become accustomed to, Marcel is correct. Ken and Rosi (a wisp of a thing ) used the Daytona as an every-day driver for years. And before that, their 250LM or their 250P (0810)! Them wuz the days. One time I was called upon to drive the Daytona home to the valley from Monterey, and stopped at a favorite lunch spot. Upon leaving, I realized (for the first time) that the front valance had slid over the parking lot bumper, and I buggered up the whole lower nose. Ken, God bless him, was cool about it! I still see Ken, and Rosi still cuts my wife's hair.

And in case anyone asks, it was just like driving a stock Daytona, but faster and way louder!

24. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    According to my information 15685 drove with no66 and 14437 with no64. Could you check this Marcel?

25. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #25 Ed Niles, Oct 15, 2008