Euro Model 328 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Euro Model 328 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by Strino, Mar 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fishyfishfish

fishyfishfish Karting

Apr 20, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Fisher
    I don't know, but it looks nice... if I didn't just buy the black/black GTB in Spokane I'd be very interested (in fact, if you look at my earlier post, I was!)... as I wait until November to get my car back from Joe at Concours in La Habra (i gave it a 30k/5year just to be safe) I will wonder what could have been with this Euro model... c'est la vie!

ferrari4seater likes this.
  2. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Aren't car ads supposed to be in FerrariAds?

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #28 Dino944, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    I'm sure it can be imported to the States, according to an old issue of Forza with a section titled 328 buyers guide approx 100 Euro 328s were imported into the USA. But it warns potential buyers to make sure all the EPA/DOT paper work is in order, or you could get stuck dealing with lots of "red tape" and other problems. They suppled a contact person and phone number to check on the paper work.

Today some of the constraints or ease of bringing in a Euro car may depend on the state you live in. For example we all know California is pretty strict on emissions. But Massachusetts no longer requires emissions tests on cars that are from 1995 or older. Still, if the car has to have side markers added and emissions work done etc why bother? I know pix were posted here of a rather ratty looking red/black 89 euro that had the side markers placed way too low, and an ugly third brake light tacked right on to the rear deck, and it looked terrible. I know some people make a huge deal out of the extra 10 hp that the Euro cars have plus the weight reduction (if you can get away without having cats), but I'd rather have a car that was built by the factory to meet US Laws and not have to deal with modifications/extra paper work etc. Not to mention when the Euro cars were originally brought over here in the late 80's they were available for less than factory US spec cars b/c of the unknown factor of how well the conversions were done and if the car would meet all EPA DOT regs and California emissions standards.

Best regards,
    Dino

4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #29 eulk328, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Regarding U.S. Federal regulations..... a car has to be at least 21 years old to not have to comply with EPA (emissions) requirements and 25 years old to not have to comply with DOT (safety) requirements. State regulations can be another matter with Kalifornia probably being the biggest hurdle. Other states perhaps no hurdle at all.

Of course there are other exemptions for race cars, show cars, cars owned by diplomats and foreign military members etc. but that's for other situations.

I believe in Canada a car must only be 15 years old on both counts. Lucky so-and-so's....

5. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    If Dick Merritt is still at the DOT he'd be the best person to speak with re: US federalization requirements. I have his number buried away somewhere...

6. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Call John at Gentry
    416 535 9900

Saw him last night

he is very fair

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To correct some things said earlier in the thread.

This car is indeed the first ABS car by Ferrari records. It is equipped with the system as can be seen positively in some of the photos.

ABS cars DO NOT have hydraulic clutches. All 328's, ABS or not have cable clutches.

8. bigred2171

bigred2171 Karting

Sep 14, 2008
    Montreal,Quebec
    Have you posted on Canada Trader?
    Cant find it on their website.

9. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Prices for these cars are higher in Canada and this car should stay in Canada, any Canadians willing to step up and buy it? If you buy a similar car for less in the US and bring it to Canada it will cost more in Canadian dollars after taxes, duties, RIV, etc. This looks like a nice car and GTBs are hard to find, too bad I already have mine, but I paid $32,500US and by the time I had it in my garage, I was out about $50,000CDN. Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, but let's hope you get good and fair money to give to your mom. Dennis

10. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Car has been posted in AutoTrader. Print/Online.
    In circulation for Toronto/Ottawa areas -- effective this Tuesday. (Oct. 7).

11. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad to cancer about 15 years ago. He is missed a lot. He would love to ride/drive my 328. For your car: a '88 in good condition with less than 30,000 miles, I would ask for $55,000. It needs a major service so subtract $5,000, depending on the tach issue/ect drop another $1,000. So I think you should be able to get at least $48,000 - $49,000 USD.

12. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    #37 Strino, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    I put it in AutoTrader for $55,000 CDN, which comes to about $51,000 USD.
    My dad was prepared for the 30,000K major service call.
    In the trunk of the car is the majority of parts for the major service:
    Air filter
    Fuel Filter
    Belts
    Spark Plugs
    Exhaust gasket seals

Additional parts in trunk:
    New tach
    Indicator lights
    Door weather seals.

I even have a factory car cover for it -- that is the all weather type (with the Ferrari Cavalino).

Thanks for your insight -- I think my asking price of $55,000 CDN is about right.

13. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    There is a black 328 GTB for sale in Vancouver for $55K CDN and it has about 50K Kilometers. I just sold my GTB for around the same kind of money with 24K miles, so you should be ok asking your price depending on what kind of money needs to be spent on the car. I personally would not pay anymore money for the first ABS car (it may make it more interesting as a sales point though)

Good luck

14. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    Thanks for the pics. Very nice car. Are you sure you don't want to hang onto it - ??? Would your father have wanted it to stay in the family? Don't mean to be too personal, sorry. Mbrown

15. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Thanks for the compliments on the car.
    Its not a personal question, I don't mind.

My brother and I being the two people that actually know how to drive a standard in my family both love the car.
    While my brother and I both feel that the car was embodied much of my dad's spirit -- we've chosen to do what we feel is right.

My dad passed away at 52 years old. He wasn't quite done with his life yet. The car, by right was left to my mother as the living heir to his possessions.
    My brother and I would love to keep the car, but at the same time feel very responsible in helping our mother out in every way we can.
    My brother and I are still young and for the most part in the primes of our lives (30/25). We'll own our own horses one day. :)

We want to sell the car to a loving owner, and channel the proceeds of the sale to mom.
    Its not much, but its a good addition to a retirement nest egg.

16. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    And general consenus is da bailout of $700 Bill,wil be going to Banks to be leveraged to? Fractional Banker Anyone? 7Trill.Traditionaly,April & May is Ferrari buy time so clean and prep and pamper and you will get your all your money then.NOW is still lousy.

17. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    anyone know what ever happened to this car????

18. BruBon

BruBon Rookie

Aug 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    ........yeah, she's sitting in my garage.

19. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    PM to Bruno!

I didn't get any notifications about threads, or PMs via e-mail. Haven't checked this site since the car was sold. Just decided to pop in, and I am delighted!

Bruno, you weren't the gentleman that initally purchased the car from me. I'd love the hear the backstory if there is one, and you don't mind sharing. Publicly or privately -- you have my number. :D

Congrats!

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

strino,

i hope you are pleased that the car is now in apparent great hands. bruno sounds like he will be a great caretaker and your family should take some comfort there. your father did seem to have great taste in cars based on the list you provided. it is sad for me to hear of the loss of a real "car guy" like your father but i do hope you will continue on the legacy when you are able.

i hope you will stay around an remain a member of ferrarichat.

cheers to you and your family.

very best,

pcb

21. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Thanks PCB!

I'll always have a fondness for Ferraris and I will have my own some day! My budget can't afford my tastes currently... lol, but I'm saving up for a Ferrari one day.

I'm playing within my budget right now.. and look totally 'redneck' with a 4x4 v8 truck.. with big tires and an ATV on the back.. lol

22. Elentinos

Elentinos Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    That is a very nice GTB! I'm thrilled to see another historic 328 GTB appearing on this site. I am the owner of VIN 58735, the first production 328 GTB. Nice collection here on Fchat!

23. BruBon

BruBon Rookie

Aug 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Bruno

Strino - very glad you tracked me down and filled me in on my car’s unique history. The details you gave me regarding its journey to Toronto has been quite the education for me.

24. Strino

Strino Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Yes a very interesting trip to Toronto indeed. That's all I care to comment about this publically.