Gun purchase | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gun purchase

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FIA Stewart, Oct 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Well of course.

#4 is hard on the perp but easy on your child in the room 2 sheetrock layers behind him.

2. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    you don't need a license for a flame thrower

3. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #28 venusone, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    Wrong. I want to point a 44 mag in my attacker's face & say, "Make my day." I want to scare the **** out of them before I splatter their brains on my living room wall. I agree taking target practice is good to learn how the gun handles. If someone breaks into my house, they are fair game & I will shoot to kill. No mercy from me, it's my house. Any questions?

4. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    #29 Craigy, Oct 21, 2008
    Yeah, right.

Of the millions of gun owners in America, I'd be willing to bet that at least half haven't had any real "training." They haven't all died yet.

Aim gun at bad guy, pull trigger. Sure there are dumb people in the world but it's a pretty simple concept.

Of course if you can you should take a class or two, training never hurt anyone. But so many people have this fear of firearms like they're going to jump up out of your closet and kill your family while you sleep.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #30 texasmr2, Oct 21, 2008
    The best 'home protection' firearm one can have is a shotgun. I know alot of police officer's and I will soon be entering the police academy myself so allow me to offer this insight. Basically when/if a situation arise's that will force you to defend yourself, your family and home you can cover more area with one shot from a shotgun than you could with a full clip from a semi-auto handgun unless you have training. The most important aspect that seem's to be constantly forgotten is that 99% of the time it will be dark and the only visual you will have is a silhouette of the intruder. I personally would rather have that reference, very minimum, than having to determine where the intruder is or having a stray bullet end up somewhere it is not meant to be.

One more tidbit of advice, make sure you 'finish' the job you started! I'm also a CHL holder as I'm sure alot of other member's are but with this priviledge comes alot of responsibilty.

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    You need a place to use it though.... would love to buy one but they are expensive and a little hard to find. Gonna go to a WW2 reenactment at the Adm. Nimitz museum in Fredricksburg next month that is supposed to include a live "fire" demonstration.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Except it isn't that easy. I have had actual break ins and never once did I think I could invoke Clint Eastwood; not when I caught the guy on my steps; the gun in my hand could have been CO2 or 44. Intent to use is pretty easy to read in either case.

But, whatever makes you feel like Superman, go for it. If you want to go all Samuel Jackson just to make yourself feel good, go for it. If you want to quote scripture in order to validate your life, go for it.

I have put my gun to use and it wasn't done to quote crappy movies or scripture. Or to make myself feel like Superman.

I didn't like it one bit because he was seconds from being a footnote in non history.

But, whatever. Idiots drive the train.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As Korr correctly pointed out, you need to quit fantasizing about Clint Eastwood scenes and get a grip on reality. It's painfully obvious that you either A) have no idea what you're talking about or B) like to hear yourself talk a big game or C) both. Whatever the cause, your post has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever and makes you look pretty foolish. I hope that your bravado only extends as far as your keyboard, because in a real-life situation you're very likely to get yourself killed.

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    We've discussed home invasion defense tactics before. Silence and darkness are golden. If you talk or hesitate remember that the intruder won't or he wouldn't be there. Our friend's kind of talk is both foolish and dangerous.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The term "keyboard warrior" comes to mind. :)

11. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I agree. I've owned Sig P239, p229 and now have a Walther P99C that I love.

12. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    #37 101010, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep, I'm convinced 12-gauge short-barrel is the way to go. Just the action of chambering a round is so loud and convincing, I can't imagine an intruder would want to spend another second in the house after hearing that.

I just had a nice long conversation with a gentleman at a gun shop who talked me out of a much more expensive Glock+laser I wanted for my girlfriend (should an intruder break in while I'm not at home), and talked me into the much cheaper, much easier to "point and bang" (esp when one's body is pumping with adrenalin and fear)... Mossberg 500 'Persuader'. What really sold me on a shotgun was the fact that when loaded with birdshot, one doesn't need to be terribly accurate to hit a bad guy... and any pellets that fly past him are going to embed themselves in the wall... rather than going through and hitting an innocent person across the street. And that sound! Click-CLACK!

And yes, we're going to practice at an open range nearby, take some gun safety courses, and know the laws of gun ownership.

Does anybody have any other recommendations for a home safety shotgun? I like the fact that this is a standard issue weapon issued to police officers. And look at how intimidating this thing is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    2 words.

Ghost rings.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Not needed inside.

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    a friend of mine who is an ex SEAL told me to check out this school http://www.gunsite.com/ which is excellent for the OP in Vegas as its in AZ. I'll probably attend the school in 09

As far as guns I recently bought a .40 Glock w laser/flashlight and a Remington pump action 12 guage which I will also outfit w laser/flashlight

I was at the firing range 2 days ago and the Glock was a joy to fire. The laser makes aiming it incredibly easier but I'll have to train without it too. I definately prefer the Glock

The shotgun has a kick that is just HARD and thats a 12 guage, I really dont like firing the shotgun although the drama of pumping it cant be beat

by the way you REALLY dont want to be on the wrong end of either bcus both are downright scary

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

17. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
  18. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    Definitely a beautiful gun. I happened to find a review of these two, and this one opinion (certainly not the final authority) preferred the 'Persuader'.

http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

I do appreciate your input though!!

19. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Well, aside from a plethra of handguns, and a couple of rifles to shoot skeet. My dad bought a AR-15 last week for the fun of it. Not a bad gun for home protection if I do say so myself.

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You shoot skeet with rifles? That's pretty impressive (I'm sure you meant to say shotgun).

An AR is a not a good home defense weapon, imho. The .223 (assuming that's what your AR is chambered in) has almost no redeeming quality in close-quarters confrontations when compared to handguns in popular calibers. In addition, the AR is bulkier to maneuver around. Both the AR and a handgun can send bullets through walls, which would endanger people in other rooms of your house. I'd much rather have a shotgun, but that's just my opinion.

21. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

Although I have a CAR-A3 that I will be getting tomorrow from a friend's dad, who is not well and selling his entire collection (I bought a Ruger M77 chambered in .220 swift also and am still negotiation a few Leupold scopes), I love that round at long outdoor ranges and for varmint control, but it is in no way whatsoever a home defense round. Too fast and too light.

I would rack my Remington 870 if anyone ever came into my house...but if the Cubans invade I will be the one screaming "WOLVERINES!!" with my AR-15 over my head.

22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL. I know next to nothing about guns. So yes, shotgun. :D

I was joking about the AR being a good home defense weapon. And that's not why he bought it.

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You made a very good choice going with the 'Persuader' and it even comes with a pistol grip.

24. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Not necessarily. The technique is known as "quick kill." You learn to point and shoot small objects with a rifle. You start with a disk about 3 inches in diameter and work down. I have a very damaged penny I'd be willing to show you.

25. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not doubting your ability as the AR is a VERY accurate rifle, but you add close quarters and the stress of the situation and I would still rather have a 12 gauge.