308 A-arm bushings replacement. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 A-arm bushings replacement.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pizzaman Chris, Nov 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey Chris - the good news is that I believe I have several of those bolts left-over from my rebuild... we'll dig around through my parts box when you come over and find a match!

2. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine

Correct. Your only course of action was to cut it out and move on. A new bolt and you will be all set- after replacing the remains of the bushing of course.

On the sway bar bushings, if you are going with the Energy Suspension units- they come with a new bracket that just needs a slight hit with a grinder at the holes to make them fit over the frame studs.

Good luck brother- looking good!

John

3. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    So it was seized. Un'frigin believable!

Must be a first, cause i didn't read anything like that on the other threads.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #29 Brian Harper, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm in the process of doing new rear bushings right now and one of my outside pivot bolts was seized. I let it soak in penetrant and worked at it for a few days and it eventually came out. It wasn't as bad as yours - it came out without a saw! - and it cleaned up surprisingly well on the wire wheel. One corner done, I'm going to do the other side next.

I have to keep the old Konis for right now so I repainted them and got new decals from Koni to make them look official. Decals were super cheap, I think shipping was more. I hope I get better at applying them, though. I tore this one a bit getting it on there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Looks great Brian.

6. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #31 Pizzaman Chris, Nov 16, 2008
  7. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #32 desire308, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Are these bushings stiffer ie feel more road surface than the stock rubber ones? Anyone used both types for comparison?

9. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #34 desire308, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    I just installed a set [retro fits] and they are very stable and yes stiffer but in a good way. I must add I also changed to 16" rims w/modern rubber...big improvement over stock. I did the inner bushings front and rear, rebuilt the outers and left the sway bars stock rubber. Total parts cost...$300.00 [including a $50.00 Ryobi sawsall to remove the stock bushings].

BTW...make sure you use a good lube when installing. I used NAPA Sil Glide and no squeeks ;)

10. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Do you have part numbers? suppliers? (energy suspensions for inners?)

I am about to start this same project and have been looking through all the old posts for the best data. But if you just did it and have the info handy, it would be much appreciated.

Did you do anything with the upper or lower ball joints? Just curious

Thanks for any info!!

11. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    The ball joints were in good shape so I didn't change any. The link I gave earlier is where I purchased the kits. This is not the same as the full replacements energy sells but went in easily and perform just fine. Nothing magic here. Cut the original ends off, press out the old bushings and dress the new ones with sil glide and press in. Make sure you also dress the bushings prior to install to avoid squeeking...I had no problems.

12. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    just checked out your link. What about "re-building" the outers? did you just go with OEM rubber for the sway bar kit? Any rec on good pricing for the sway bar bushing? The prices I have seen certainly wouldn't have let you stay under $300 for the whole project! maybe the new inners all the way around...

13. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I *think* I got mine from John Haller. JH355 on FChat. Try there first...

JIM

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Following this thread with great interest.... I'm about to embark on the same project. Plus re-coat the rear half of the chassis frame with POR15. Should be a fun project for the next month or so...

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #40 Pizzaman Chris, Nov 17, 2008
  16. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Hard to tell if the lense is distorting or if the bracket is bent.
    I'd be inspecting them closely for cracking etc.
    Have to say I'm not clear on why that one bracket, of the two, is removable and what the washers (#23) under the bracket retaining nut function are. The slot and tab washer/shims inside of the chassis appear to be more than one in parts diagrams?

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #42 Brian Harper, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    I believe the lowers are removable so that shims can be inserted for alignment purposes.
    They have a slot so that they can be inserted easily during alignment just by loosening the nut.

18. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Ah, OK that makes sense. The shims are outside the rails. Doh!

19. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Those brackets to have a slight angle to them as I recall. I thought the same thing when I took mine off.

Keep the pics coming! :)

JIM

20. ainternetguy

ainternetguy Rookie

Oct 16, 2005
    Ok.. looking for help on this one.. Time to replace the Front shocks / coils on my '86 Mondial Cabrio with 42K miles on it. I have all the bushings and ball joints to change out at the same time (heck, I will probably paint up the control arms, etc while I'm at it).

What recommendations does the group have for replacement shocks / coils? Replace with factory Koni or.......??? Also, what are the best sources for these based on cost and availabilty.

Thanks

Mike

'86 Mondial Cabrio
    '88 Mondial Couple

21. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Seems this is where tow truck drivers like to anchor the cars ... I've seen them bent down a bunch like you could see the shape of the alignment shim in 'em :(.

22. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Looks like that is the Front/Rear Sway bar bushing kit on ebay from T.Rutlands. $163.

It also looks like that the same parts are available from J.C. Whitney (At least the sway bar mount bushings and end link bushings) for about $72. Has anyone had success with getting these through J.C. Whitney?

23. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Well i tried to press the old bushings out with my 12 ton press and i have to tell you............ it aint happening.:(

I went over the threads on this and checked up on all the pictures and i have to tell you that i almost lost a nut last night.:eek:

I had a thin socket to push the old bushing out, no problem there, but when i started to push down on the press the bushing came out a little and then..... WATCH OUT!! that socket flinged out so fast that i got it in the inner thigh. OUCH!!

I tried different combinations and nothing. So i gave up after a few hours.

Sorry no pictures. I was a little hurting last night. Will try again tonight.

24. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #49 rizzo308, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    gday !! p/man when i did my bushes after die grinding the weld that holds the bush in place all i did was rest the edge of the A arm on some thing solid then tapped them out with a hammer easy pesy !! no problems mate....... now my cyl head well thats another story good luck cobber

25. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #50 D.Mauro, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    stick to making Pizza's.It is a lot safer lol!!