Vector W8 on Ebay | FerrariChat

Vector W8 on Ebay

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by cessnav8or, Nov 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcassady

kcassady Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Dallas / O.C.
    Full Name:
    Koyne Cassady
    Damn...1,750 miles

Wish i had the garage space..oh and the 295,000.00
    always one of my favorites from back in the day

2. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Garage space I could work out. The $295,000.00 is the only part I am having a problem with. :)

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    the one for sale is my 'favorite' of the vector variants! fishing for a high price in these times seems kind of a stretch, but the car is cool!

4. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    When ever I see one of the cars I always think of the tennis player who owned one and it burned up. Anyone remember that story?

5. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony

The car SOLD close to the buy now price.

6. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Andre Agassi I think it was...could be wrong on that one though. I too always liked them. I would rather have one with some miles on it that has been sorted. These cars were notorious for problems... all kinds of them from what I have read. Would LOVE to have one someday though! Once upon a time (about 8 to 10 years ago) you could get one for just under $100k!

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #8 Mang, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    nice! pretty sure I saw that exact car 'new' at the San Francisco International Auto Show with Gerald W. in a black leather jacket looking cool as ever talking up his machines, showing that one in black or dark gray if I remember correctly. I was about 16 or so and wowed by the car. It was the feature car of the show that particular year.

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    so it is sold, and off the market?

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    1991 VECTOR W8- AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY FOR THE ROAD

Apparently a GM 3 speed automatic is AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY..LOL!

And that price...just wow. :rolleyes:

10. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I was going to pull the BIN, but after looking at his feedback, I decided against it.

11. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #12 tony2ta, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    According to the owner that the car sold as of friday & just waiting for the deposit, unless someone hit the buy it now price. For the last three weeks, I know he had turn down four buyers with an offer between $190k-$205k.

12. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    the housing is the GM housing, internals are 100% custom helical gears. the transmission was built to withstand 3x the torque/ power that the W8 produces stock. The only car I know of that had any gearbox issues had aftermarket modifications to the gearbox.

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yes, that's fine. It's still a GM 3 peed at heart, and no amount of aerospace rivets and aerospace quality rivets in various parts of the chassis can hide that fact. The only aerospace tech any Vector had in them were the nifty NASA approved rivets. :) Neat. Vector would have done better at selling bags of 5000 aerospace rivets to people using them or fan boys looking to make a Vector in their garage from a kit.

Ooh, made from 5000 aerospace rivets...OHHH. OMGasm...rivets, LOL.

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #15 nthfinity, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    another internet fan (hate) boy. Great.

Obviously, you don't know the benefits of rivits; and applying pressure over a great area with minimal interference. If what you said were true, then why did Williams Int. have a technology share with Vector Aeromotive?

Additionally, when Vector rightly claimed Aeromotive; the reason for the description is this: Aerospace tolerances were achieved with each piece of the assembly; and the final product. Not just the "use" of rivets, like an aircraft. Additionally, the creation of a aluminum bonded honeycomb monicoque... Your knowledge is lacking here... FYI, automotive spec tolerances are nowhere near as rigorous. You might benefit to know that many common and replacable parts on cars today are coming from China, which follow an even far looser standard then the domestic, japanese, and european auto industy's standards.

No Mercedes of recent accord, or press has had a manual transmission. The Veyron is a glorified automatic; most Ferrari's today are sold as automatics (and hold their value far better than the H gate) the Nissan GTR is an automatic, etc. etc.

It may be unfortunate that it is only 3 forward gears, but considering the transmission technology of the time, it was the only solution which was both reliable, and robust enough for the vehicle. At heart, the Vector is a supercar killer. The first time the use of the word "supercar" in a publication was when describing the Vector W-2 prototype in roughly 1980 or 81... when comparing it to all other cars. When it finally made production, there were a few close competitors... EB110, XJ220, McLaren F1... and to some extent, the F40.

15. wrxrob

wrxrob Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    MD
    now there's a car straight out of my high school dreams :)

thanks for posting.

16. PanteraVegas

PanteraVegas Rookie

May 12, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Robert Douglas
    #17 PanteraVegas, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    I drove that car for ten feet. Then it died and we couldn't get it to restart. We had to push it into the studio (I was helping a photographer shoot the car). Man, that was forever ago.

I thought that was the coolest car on the planet.

R.

17. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    That car is part of a nice collection in Florida, and is 100%. The man who owns it met Agassi, who asked "how is that piece of ****?" The man who owns it loves it, and told him it's fantastic, and well sorted"

There is one car with about 40,000 miles on it. That car is also part of a collection, and wont be sold for quite some time.

18. PanteraVegas

PanteraVegas Rookie

May 12, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Robert Douglas
    Funny to hear the details of a specific car that had such a large impact on me as a kid. I must have been 19 or 20 at the time. I had a Polaroid of me sitting in it that I kept on my dresser for years.

R.

19. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    This is not correct. The term "supercar" was used to describe the Bentleys of the 1920's. And it was used to describe the Lamborghini Miura in the 1960's (CAR Magazine). And to call the McLaren F1 a "close competitor" to the Vector is a serious joke.

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #21 nthfinity, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agassi's car after restoration back in 2006

you might notice it looks a little different than it did 17 years ago... the damage Agassi did required quite a few new body panels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I was in a W8 going 5-150 in 12 seconds. That isn't far off from the McLaren... perhaps even faster. All the while, the Vector can out handle a street F1 as well.

The interior materials are nicer feeling in the Vector too. I do wish the W8 had a manual, rather than a manual shift automatic. The sound in the F1 is better, but that comes down to preference. Give me a Vector any day. Vector did more with less.

OK, I'll downgrade "first time" to "First time in a domestic rag"
    However, from what I understand, the Miura wasn't called a supercar until well after production ended?