Concorso Arizona 2008 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Concorso Arizona 2008

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by ENZOSON, Sep 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoleondyna

Napoleondyna Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Otis Blank
    No worries, I'm sure I'll see you next time.

2. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Pat

The Enzo.

3. pat_ernzen

pat_ernzen Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Ernzen
    It won best of show, or people's choice? Your F40 looked great, as usual. Thanks for bringing it out.

4. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    The Enzo won "people's choice" - the red 512 BBi won " Best in Show"

Pietro

5. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    +1

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It's a little hard to take allot of pictures when there are 30 or so Ferrari entries, as compared to when there where 100+ Ferrari's in past events. But, as I understand, the parking problems of years past were apparently resolved, as there were plenty of spaces available.

Never the less, Pat's pictures are always great. Keep up the good work!

7. azsunset

azsunset Karting

May 14, 2008
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    We have been spoiled by the rapid online posting of all of these high-quality photos. I certainly hope nobody took offense at my comments. I always appreciate seeing the cars through the "eyes" of all of the talented photographers, who seem to catch things that my eyes just wander right past.....even of my own cars!

I hope the event was profitable and beneficial to the charity. I did not know that the event was so much larger in past years. That is interesting.

8. pat_ernzen

Nov 30, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Ernzen
    #83 pat_ernzen, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you're talking about me, I didn't take any offense at all... believe me, I wish I could get more up quickly.

As for it being that much larger in past years, I don't think it has been... but I could be wrong. Maybe there were more Ferraris, but I think the overall number of cars was close, at least. Not as much of a gap as saying "30 compared to 100+" would imply. I've been to the past two before this one and have seen some photos from some of the others. While the one at Tempe Diablo stadium may have had significantly more cars, the Copperstate 1000 was held at the same location, so all of the cars for that were there as well. The Concorso before that was also at the Boulders and unless I'm mistaken, there weren't many more cars at that event, if any more. For one thing, I don't think you could fit a whole lot more in the lot.

Anyway, here are some more shots. Again, better quality here:
    http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=187

Thanks, guys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO

Patrick -

as usual I am speechless by the quality of your photos!!

We judged around 30 Ferraris ( I think about half of the ones there). Looked like around 110+ cars total - Not bad. I did hear that there were close to 2000 spectators....

Pietro

10. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Not bad at all! :D

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Pat:

Great pictures, as usual.

As for the counts, I was the Chief judge of the event in '07, as well as a board member, past regional director, club co-founder, blah, blah, blah, so I knew what we had in attendance as well as what was judged. If there were 2000 spectators in '08, there should be a nice, healthy donation to the Ronald McDonald House. I believe that last year the donation was around $25K, so hopefully the charity does better this year.

If you remember when we were at this venue several years ago, it was mainly Ferrari, with a spattering of brand 'X'. Attendance was such that people were parking on Scottsdale road. When that venue was outgrown, it went to Tempe Diablo Stadium and filled the field, the upper deck, as well as the front and every nook and space with Ferrari's. I can also recall 250 GTO's, 275/Comp cars, a 375'S', F1 cars, etc in years past. Unless I missed your shots of them, they were strangely absent this year...

I just visited the FCA/DR web site and curiously all the past Concourso AZ pictures were gone, but all of the other events seem to work fine. I am sure that it was just a technical challenge, but a shame that some of the club's history is missing.

Judging by the participation, it seems to have morphed into more 'other' makes and dealer displays, rather than primarily a Ferrari show/concours that is the highlight event for the FCA/DR. There is nothing wrong with that, but just an observation of how times have changed. The bottom line is that the charity benefits. Everything else is secondary.

12. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Exactly. Blah blah blah....

Great show guys! ;)

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Blah, blah, blah... perhaps. It is very easy for someone who has no knowledge of people and events past, to scoff and insult. But without those efforts and enthusiasm, there would be nothing today.

The observation... is the direction that it has taken has given the result that is shown. Nothing wrong either way, and I never said that it was a bad show..... just different. I am sure that they did their best, and with all good intentions.

Perhaps in the future there can be a 'project' class for those who fall into that arena for them to bring their cars and parts.

14. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah a bright future I'm sure since this show seems to have been the best show of the year as expected. As for your attempt at an insult, I feel so sorry for you anyway that I'm going to cut you a break and let you slide this time.

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    You guys need to settle this via PM. We don't need to have this thread locked due to what just occurred in the above posts.

16. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Of course, you are correct. I was sort of hoping for a double ban myself. ;)

17. pat_ernzen

Nov 30, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Ernzen
  18. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Well, I don't really know the others, but I don't like when people start taking over threads (read: this whole page, almost) and turn it into a rant and beech back and forth. Just annoying.

19. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    OK, how about a fresh start. Looks like the show was great and Pat's photos spectacular as always. I unfortunately was on a 100% full Southwest Airlines flight somewhere over Kansas at the time.

20. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #95 agup48, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey you guys made the Detroit News. Looked like a great time. Ugh, the weather looked perfect.

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/joyrides/index.cfm?id=759

Exotic Italian cars blossom at Concorso Arizona
    By Larry Edsall / Special to The Detroit News

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Concorso Arizona began in 2001 as a parking lot filler staged in conjunction with the Gautier Classic, a vintage car rally organized by the very upscale local jeweler, Scott Gautier. Funny thing, however, was that after the rally cars left the streets of downtown Scottsdale for their drive, spectators stayed around to continue their admiration of the Ferraris and other Italian cars taking part in the Concorso.

Concorso Arizona began in 2001 as a parking lot filler staged in conjunction with the Gautier Classic, a vintage car rally organized by the very upscale local jeweler, Scott Gautier. Funny thing, however, was that after the rally cars left the streets of downtown Scottsdale for their drive, spectators stayed around to continue their admiration of the Ferraris and other Italian cars taking part in the Concorso.

By 2005, the organizers of the Concorso -- the Ferrari Club of America's Desert Region -- realized the event was big enough to stand on its own, and moved it to the upscale, north Scottsdale el Pedregal shopping center, which is adjacent to the famed Boulders Resort.

The event continued to draw Italian exotic cars and motorcycles, but again in 2007 found itself sharing a venue. This time it was Tempe Diablo Stadium, spring training home of the Los Angeles Angels baseball team and the site of the start of the annual Copperstate 1000 vintage sports car rally.

While the venue was outstanding, with the cars arrayed around the baseball field, Concorso organizers again found their event playing second fiddle.

The local Ferrari dealership, Scottsdale Ferrari, brought its racecar transporter, a pair of Ferrari Challenge racers and a road-going version of the 430 Scudera car.

Thus, on November 15, Concorso Arizona was back at el Pedregal, with huge rock outcrops providing a stunning background for an event that attracted all sorts of Ferraris, more than a dozen Lamborghinis, nearly that many De Tomaso Panteras, a trio of Fiats, a lone Alfa Romeo -- and even a Bugatti.

The oldest of the Ferraris on display was a 1960 250 Pininfarina cabriolet owned by Drew Alcazar, who with his wife, Josephine, runs the Russo and Steele collector car auction company, which annually stages collector car sales events in Scottsdale; Monterey, Calif.; and Hollywood, Fla.

Alcazar's 250 Pininfarina convertible is one of only 200 such cars produced and is one of the first 100, the so-called first generation version. He has had the car for two years and has nicknamed it the "Owner's Manual." Why? Because he's using it as a model for the restoration of another 250 Pininfarina cabriolet he's in the process of restoring.

Proceeds from admission and other Concorso Arizona fees were used to benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Phoenix.

22. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Wow, thats awesome. Yes it was fun, and yes the weather was AMAZING! I dont know what temp it was but by 11am it felt like it was 80s. It was a bit nippy in the morning though. Snow in Michigan sucks. :D

23. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Now that the BS is over.......

I just want to be clear... The pictures look great! It looks like the organizers went out of their way to do the best job they could, and have taken the show in the direction that they want to... which is fine. It looks like everyone who went had a great time and the charity should do well, which is the bottom line. 'Nuff said! Good job!

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

WTF is with you guys? Ingenere and parker839, are you adults? I'm not sure based on your posts here.

You had beautiful scenery, great cars and perfect weather but you turned the thread into a personal pissing contest instead of a discussion of the event?

I got your PMs, and I've read through the thread. I don't care who started it, but I'm finishing it.

I'm not going to ban anyone, I'm not even gonna delete the posts (which I considered) because they should stand as testimony.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST you put each other on ignore. One more dust-up, and I'll stick both you guys in purgatory for a long enough time that you will finally decide to simply leave each other alone.

If you must trade barbs, do it by PM, not out here where it serves to annoy all around you who are trying to be civil.

Dave M.

25. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    10-4 Dave. Thanks.