Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidSB

DavidSB Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    I'm new to the Ferrari world and thought the only street-legal Challenge cars are the 360 CS. However, I notice photos in this thread of other Challenge cars with license plates and mention of driving their cars to/from the track. Were other models sold as street legal?
    David

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No, but a few modify enough back from Challenge Rules to sneak by registered for street, but I doubt any are 100% street legal no matter what country you are from. Sometimes for local shows wish I could just drive it over a few miles instead of the loading-unloading-loading-unloading routine. However, I don't anything much more dangerous than driving a roll caged car without a helmet.

3. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Boy am I glad someone asked if they're street legal or not. I love the Challenge Cars sub cat too, BTW.

So, if the 348 Challenge cars were street cars modified to track use in the Challenge Series, would they not be easier to put back to a street legal form than say a F430 Challenge car?

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    1995 and older were street cars modified at the dealers.

5. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    ALL 348 challenge cars were sold as street cars with a title. They were modified for racing by the dealer. Modification were fairly minimal. Mostly the bolt in roll cage and racing harness are illegal for street use. They maintained the emissions, factory glass, and catalytic converters. The bumpers were lighter and may not conform to 5 mph crash test, but the '94 348 factory challenge car was sold a street car with the same bumpers. The owners at the time had to sign a waiver stating they would not return the car to street use. It did not say that it could be sold and someone else could return the car to the street.

the 430 challenge is a factory built race car without a title. Everything from the interior, instruments, dash, lack of airbag, plexiglass, roll cage, emissions, cats, wheel hubs, .... would have to be modified. It would be very difficult and expensive to modify for a street title for regular use.

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Dave
    Those are some awesome pictures! Your 348 looks great!

7. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Beautiful 348 Challege Car!

Thanks for the info very interesting. What about the 355s, and 360s, were they dealer modified with titles or factory race cars with no titles?

Thanks again.

8. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    See, this is why I love Fchat- everyone is so willing to help out and fill in the blanks for people who need blanks filled in. :)

So, what IS with the 355s and 360s?

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    1995 was the last year of the titled cars...but come to SC and we will get the deed done. It's time to get a 360 Challenge on the road here.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks Gregg! It pays to take a professional photographer along for the ride.

11. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    The 360's were the same as the 430. Too much of a race car to go backwards to get DOT legal. Some of the early 355 were dealer converted cars. Even the ones that were factory built could be converted to road cars with a little work. A lot has to do with DOT specs and then getting a title. Some states will title a race car.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Anyone remember the user we had from Arizona. I forgot his name, but he had a F40 and built this huge ranch house with kart track and full shooting range. Anyway, he bought a new 360 Challenge and they made a mistake and titled it for the street. I didn't think they had VIN's?

13. DavidSB

DavidSB Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    Thanks for the informative responses and the cool photos. Does anyone know the specific changes the dealers made to the street 348's to make them into Challenge cars?
    David

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Roll cage, fire extinguisher, 5 pt belts, brake ducting, race seats were the basics. As time went on the brakes themselves were uprated, as were the spring/shocks, etc

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I know the 430 Challenge is not street legal but have seen one driven on the street and quite a stirring sight it is to...and for reference did a quite street comparison between 430 spider and 430 Challenge....

Of course the Challenge sounds amazing....will try find the video...

16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #17 gatorgreg, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
    A lot of guys are buying street cars 355,360,430's and converting them to challenge specs. You could also just go get some dealer plates and stick it on the back of the Challenge car. I have seen it before.

17. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    I've seen dealer plates and repair plates on the backs of challenge cars riding around the streets. Usually only to and from shows and the occasional romp around the neighborhood to get exercise the car.

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hasn't Martin (cavallino motors) sold street legal 360 challenge cars before? I swear i've seen some on his site

19. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    ....comment about ..............or noise.

I call BS! I've followeed that beast from Charlotte to Watkins Glen, and I can attest that I complained plenty about the noise. True however that I was the one who got pulled-over, not the 348 :)

20. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    There were a few mods as noted. Mostly the roll cage, racing seats, harness, brake ducting, lighter bumpers, different exhaust, pedals, steering wheel. The challenge cars used different full pumps, radiator thermostat bypass, stiffer springs and bushings. The brakes were stock brembo's, but used different (aquip) brake lines and racing pads. they used a racing battery with a cut off switch. The suspension geometry was changed as well. May have had a different ECU as well.

21. ppatel9

ppatel9 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    360 Challenge and 430 Challenge cars are sold on bills of sale and do not have titles...hence cannot be legally run on the street. There is no way to get the cars thru DOT/EPA..nor would you want to considering the prices these days.

People have done some very good jobs modifying street cars too.

23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan

LOL Bob, I've been wondering where you've been...and I have the pictures of you having a nice little chat with the friendly DC officer! Was he a Ferrari fan?

24. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Just dreaming...