Mondial Seats | FerrariChat

Mondial Seats

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SouthJersey400i, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I am doing a search for a Mondial 3.2 or T that I can afford and suits my taste. I recently looked at a Mondial T and found something disturbing; my somewhat large rear end would not fit in the seat! The center section of the seat is quite small with steep sides to it, maybe it is good for someone with a 30" waist; it would not be comfortable at all for me. I previously looked at a QV and I did not have this problem with that car. I have looked at various car postings and the photo's seem to indicate more than one type of seat in the Mondial's. Is this true? Does it go by year or did all T's come with one seat type and 3.2's another and so on? Or was this part of a customized order for these cars?

Any input is welcome to help my car search.
    Ken
    p.s. My 400i has an "ample size seat"!

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, the T has rather tight seats. I personally like the fit but they are an acquired taste.

1989 was the first year for that design. You will find those seats in all of them after that point.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #3 snj5, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just as a follow on, the seats from the Mondial 8 through the 1988 3.2 were all the same flat 22" wide. Being broad abaft as well, these early seats are ok; not great, but ok.
    My pet peeve was in the headrest which for a tall person was non functional, so I had a wee angle put in the strut and the headrest done taller in matching leather and same stitching pattern. It may seem a trifle, but for a taller person this little change is an amazing Godsend, especially on a long trip.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Russ
    I want to be sure I get this right. Is it the year 88 to 89 that the seats changed or is it from 3.2 to T that they changed? (or is that saying the same thing; with F cars the year and models often overlap).

Also, is the tan leather the same color before and after the seat change? I am asking just in case I decide "I gotta have a T", and then want to switch to a set of earlier seats from a donor car.
    Ken

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The seats changed with the t. All seats from the 8 through the last 3.2 are the same design. I am less sure about the color, as I am away from my "Original Ferrari V-8" by Bluemel, which may have that info.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Jan 6, 2009
  7. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #7 JF308, Jan 6, 2009
    From the looks, it appears that the t seats are a bit wider/flatter in the seat than the 3.2 photo above, "butt" who knows. I find them very comfortable in the seat, with nice tight side bolsters.

Mine measure:

Flat Insert part 11widex 14deep

Full seat 18w x 19 d

R U looking for a t cab?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    JF
    I think the 11" is my only issue, the rest works for me fine.

Wade
    The aftermarket seats give a lot of choices but most are meant for 25 year old slim guys. The support is great for a track car but for tearing up my neighborhood and country roads is a bit much for me. (but not out of the question)

SNJ5, thanks for clarification. Maybe I will go with a 3.2 not solely for the seats but the best match of purchase price and maintenance cost and the seat to boot.
    Ken

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Good luck with whatever you do, but I can assure you that for the money, the 3.2 is the best small GT on the road today. A lot of car for very little money, indeed. The t is also a bargain, but not to the degree the 3.2 is.

Best
    rt

10. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hey, what about us 60+ year old guys who weigh what we weighed in College? LOL

Art

11. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Hi Art,

Without stealing this thread entirely, I notice from your profile that you now have a 430 and Mondial t cab....after many other FCars (348's, 355, 360)....

Comments on the Mondial t? Any specific reason you still have it versus some of the others?

Inquisitive t cab owners wanna know your thoughts.

Thanks

John
    89 t cab

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Mondial T seats differ on the first year vs all the remaining.

'89 had no seat mice, and the front seats had a different belt arrangement with different backings on the seats. Other than that, all front seat T's were the same.

The rears on the '89 vs '90-'93 had a smaller center console, in that the front seat belts did not need the rear retractors. The '90+ series had the front seat belt retractors in the center, rear, console area which made them about 2" wider, and created a more narrow rear bottomed seat.

I am talking Cabriolets here, the Coups had a couple varying issues, concerning the head rests which cab did not have.

I have a full set of seats for both '89 and '90.

if in the market for the older set, let me know. I was planning to cover both, front sets. One for daily driving [with a slight conversion to the rear backing to accomodate the belting mech] and the original set for keeping as for show, or future sale.

13. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Hello Russ. Where did you get the headrest and how much did they run you? They look good. Makes the seat look sleek. Thanks. Doug.

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Please make sure that you sat in a seat that was in good repair. If the support straps are broken or otherwise not functional the seats are bad news. Generally the T seats are designed to grab your butt on each side as your weight in the center section tightens the straps in the seat which pulls the side cushions toward the center to prevent you from sliding in the seat in fast curves. In my case, 40 inch waist and subsequently matching butt, without anything like wallet in your back pockets, I have a nice comfortable sit. More than 20 minutes with a wallet in your back pocket and it starts to hurt.

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Could you just have a custom upholstered cushion insert made for the flat insert area, and smooth out the total seat surface? Could make it in the same leather with the three sections and it would look like a factory accessory.

16. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh