"You can't fix stupid" (Ron White) | FerrariChat

"You can't fix stupid" (Ron White)

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 PittsS2APilot, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    OK, Confession time for everyone. What's the dumbest thing you've ever done involving a Ferrari from an owner's standpoint. I've only been an owner for 13 months so my list is short. Less than a week after buying the car, one day I couldn't find my "only set of keys". I looked everywhere and then remember sitting them in the rear storage area the last time I had the rear hatch open. I went into a panic. I got on Fchat and started searching how to get the rear hatch open without using "a key". I know you are laughing already but in my panic, I was not thinking clearly. After doing the reseach (for at least an hour online) about knocking out a plug on the right rear wheelwell and using a long thingamagig to trip the lock, I had a moment of clarity. I walked out to the car, opened the driver's door, pulled the hatch release and got my &^5$%$ Keys! I can't believe I'm confessing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxKStPXyn8

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I own many cars, and my list is too long for this space.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Owning a Lambo is about as dumb as it gets.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That isn't hard to imagine. I have 4 cars and one truck and the ONLY one with a trunk release is the TR. Easy to forget but still..................I've placed myself in some quandaries that had easy solutions as well. I was just "over thinking" the situation.

5. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Put my car cover on the passenger footrest area and started the car. Realized that the stupid mouse runners still actually work in my car and covered a 2x3 foot area in grease on the cover. $68 dollars worth of dry cleaning later I am feeling like a genious. Nice move.

MB

6. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    This isn't car related but still stupid. Was at my deer hunting club's shooting range last year, sighting in my rifle for the upcoming deer season. While i was at the plywood backed target holder I trhought that I would put more than one target up so I wouldn't have to go back as often to change targets. Well that worked great except I put all the targets together in a stack and stapled them on the plywood. Amazingly enough, all the targets had holes in the exact same places!!

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Checked my coolant level, then went on a drive. 30ish miles later, I arrived home and shut the car off in the garage. I step out of the car and hear a hideous sound coming from the engine bay - pop the engine cover to see what the fuss was all about and realize that I hadn't put the cap back on the expansion tank. Whoops!

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Hey, I did the same thing with the oil cap! Only took a mile before the smoke in the rear window made me stop. Oh, I also didn't know about the hidden glove box release on the series 1 GT4 for at least my first week of ownership. Man, that was really hard to open! (Now that I know about the button it is just annoying - who in Italy thought that was a good idea to hide the button under the dash?)

9. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I had a flat battery in the GT4 not long after I bought the car.I went to the local parts store to buy a new battery with my brother in the GT4.I couldn't turn off the ignition as it wouldn't restart so I left the engine running with my brother in the car while I ran into the store to purchase a new battery.I forgot to take note which way the terminals were set up on the original battery so I ran back out to the car,reached in through the window to open the bonnet with the lever.I lost my balance as I pulled on the lever which snapped in my hand and inturn I snapped the key in the ignition with the engine running.What was supposed to be a quick battery change ended up being a long afternoon trying to remove the broken key and having to chase down a bonnet release lever.I ended up having one made up by a guy who casts alloy products.Another classic of which I believe a few of us on board are guilty of as well is being in a hurry to change the oil in the car only to realise that you have "accidently" just drained out the gearbox oil instead

10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 JV's89, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    Shortly after replacing my '87 328 with my current one my wife and I made a trip to her Dad's house. He lives in a house with street parking, so we locked the car and as usual I gave my wife the keys to keep in her purse. When it was time to leave she handed me the keys and I tried to unlock the car. After ten minutes of screwing around trying to get the key in the door a small audience comprised of family members had gathered. At this point I'm thoroughly convinced that some jerk broke something off in the key holes on both doors. Needless to say I'm beyond aggravated (and inventing a new vocabulary of dirty language-as I've used all known filthy words twenty times by this point.) After a total of about fifteen minutes my wife has an epiphany and rifles through her purse to produce the PROPER set of keys. Turns out she had a spare set for the old car in her purse and didn't realize it.

11. rsqrd308

rsqrd308 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Roth
    Just today, pushed a remote (why? dunno) and closed my gate on my TR.

12. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    After checking and adding a little oil after a drive. I replaced the oil cap without using any gloves. As the cap was hot, I did not double check to see that the cap was tight, just put it on and gave a twist. Going on my next drive, I was about a mile from the house when I started seeing white smoke comming out the top louver vents on the rear deck. I pulled over and as I popped the rear lid, flashes of some of the stories I've read on F-chat about engine/car fires flashed thru my mind. Looking in the engine compartment, I didn't see any flames (a good sign) but noticed a film of oil by the fuel injection metering unit and along the after aluminum bulkhead and top of the muffler. Oil was leaking out of the small gap left by not completely closing the oil cap. Tightened the cap, drove home and spent the next hour cleaning up the oil, burning my arm a couple of times on the exhaust. Still have the scars.

13. carguywalt

carguywalt Rookie

Jan 24, 2006
    New Berlin WI.
    Full Name:
    Walter
    My first test drive in a 308 and I pulled into a gas station for some fuel. Neither my passenger or I knew where the fuel filler was located. We didn't look so cool for a while. Needless to say I didn't buy the car either. A car for sale with an empty tank is a turn off.

14. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The list of dumb things I've done in/around/on my cars is long and distinguished

15. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Drove away from the gas pump with the fuel tank cap on the rear deck....Went looking for it after I realized it but couldn't find it...

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I decided it was ok to open the expansion tank while the car was hot since the radiator is up front and tank was in the back.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I actually HAVE lost the only set of keys, to one of my 308s, a very expensive and time consuming proposition......

Next to that, I suppose running into the garage ranks way up the list!

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Oil cap: Ricambi has nice replacements and ya' get them overnight :|

19. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    This one made me laugh. I was thinking that it was leading towards trying to open the door on the wrong car!

20. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Went for a ride with my girlfriend in the 328s and got caught in a downpour, The top was back at my shop. Had the bag for it though. You really get to see the state of decay on the over passes when you are parked under them for a few hours...

21. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I haven't had the car long enough or driven it enough to have anything memoriable, my other cars and trucks are a different story. But still the wife beats me........

A few years back the wife backing our Dodge truck out of the drive and hearing a noise, she pulled forward to see what it was and saw scratch marks on the drive. She again pulled out of the drive to hear the same noise, again she pulled forward and saw nothing but scratch marks on the drive.

She figured out that she would have to pull all the way out of the drive to find out what this noise was, so she pulled all the way out to see that she had driven over our trash can 5 times.........

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Oh that is too funny!:):)

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Oldest trick in the book, to keep you from driving it too long and finding more wrong with it.

24. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Selling my 308! :(

25. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    anyone ever have the problem of tightening their gas cap on too tight,
    only to look like a fool at the gas-station pump, straining for all your might in your cool duds: worse, getting out the pliers and cloth after you've moved down the block [no gas] only to be caught in that act. Thank goodness it was another town.