F40 prices sinking fast? Asking below $499k and no takers | Page 20 | FerrariChat

F40 prices sinking fast? Asking below $499k and no takers

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mjw599, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

For those of you on this board who say--"well this could be confusing. Two variables of the equation are moving at once, so how do I tell if this is right?"-- here is one way to judge this (not the only way) would be to peg this to the value of gold. If we assume that gold is worth about $900 per ounce, then it is "about" 225 ounces to get to $200K. A year from now, if 225 ounces of gold will get you the F-40, then it is worth about $200K in today's money.

2. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Jim,

I think you are on the mark here. Any ideas when Mr. Obama will put us on the hyperinflation route (and really piss off China in the process)?

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I personally think there are two Trillion dollars of Toxic Assets we will be buying and I also think we will spend an additional two Trillion Dollars in stimulus. RIP The US Dollar.

At this point in the disaster I don't see any other way out. God Save Us All.

4. 348lmgt

348lmgt Rookie

Sep 13, 2006
    Having just won The Super Car Cup at Cavallino 2009, I've raised my asking price to $700K+. You get what you pay for. I think I learned that at law school and Wharton. I've received an amazing plethora of economic theories reading the entries posted here.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Quite.

6. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM

+1

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'd be curious to know what your car offers that is 300k more than all the others? A cup?

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The important thing to keep in mind when looking for any Ferrari is to deal with people who understand what the market for these cars really is. One of FCHAT's Sponsors, Universal AutoSports Jimmy Pugliese 516 801 8201, not only knows the real fair market price but has cars that can be vetted/PPI'd and Universal is also well equipped to service them at reasonable rates and provide transport and track-side and concours support.

These days one can't be too careful. "Golden Opportunities" can turn out to be something that should be avoided like the Plague.

I have no financial interest in Universal at all but have done business with them and their Principles for years and highly recommend them for sales and servicing of any Ferrari especially Ferrari Supercars.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

Hey Dude why don't U 2 come back to the Home Land in June.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #485 joe sackey, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fair Market Price...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'd love to read the ones you did to get to that number. That being said, for your sake I hope PT Barnum was right.

12. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    ....spare us the fanatics....I have a perfect F40 (IMO), and I can tell you in all honesty what EVERY educated or uneducated, intelligent or stupid, experienced or inexperienced salesperson KNOWs....a car is worth what someone will pay you for it. You are dreaming if you think you can achieve anywhere close to $700K for a car they manufactured 1300+ of.

I too wish you good luck.

Carlo

(PS. I have multiple degrees too, so I am not mocking or minimizing your degrees/intelligence...take no offence)

13. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hope you get that kind of money for it, but looking at your posts, you've been trying to sell that F40 for "700K+" since last June. If it didn't work then, I imagine raising the price now won't help your cause. Good luck though.

14. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Looks as though he has been trying to sell it since May 2007!! http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136736387&postcount=1

Erik

15. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I love the mystique of the F40, yes, as a past owner I know the reality of these cars.

I think F40's tend to fall into two groups, the cars that have been driven (I had 21,000 miles on mine) and cars that are trophy's.

These cars are not easy to drive, not always fun to drive, and many drivers are simply not skilled enough to drive these cars at speed, so many sit around in garages as a shrine.

A Cavallino Trophy never interested me, but I respect what it takes to earn one. Does a Cavallino Trophy really add value, well yes to some it might. It just depends on how the owner is going to use the car.

I would rather be on the track chipping paint rather than polishing paint....

Jim and I share some of the same passions, he drives everything he has, including the P4/5 rain or shine, I think we earned each others respect when we were comparing track rash on our cars at the French Quarter Classic.

As for prices, I believe the range will once again establish itself between $300,000 and $400,000.

Congratulations on your win, I am sure it is a beautiful car!

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I thought the 2 groups F40s fell into were: smokers and non-smokers :)

Nice post BTW, I agree with all.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #492 Napolis, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You forgot in the snow. Interestingly road salt washes off of Carbon without issue.

Hope U and Yours are Great!!

One last point. Rock chips earned by driving on Hollowed ground add rather than detract from value IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOpGUeCZiI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Wow!
    You're modest and an elitest...
    It's just too bad that you missed Economics 101 and the laws of "supply and demand"...

Regarding your $700K asking price, perhaps you remember the TV show "Dream On?"

David

19. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dont you think that maybe, just maybe his post was tongue in cheek? :)

If not tick tock, tick tock...............

20. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm asking 1 million for mine because its a very rare and highly desirable color combo - Red with grey interior

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Did you go to Harvard? If so you should ask more.

22. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Mmm, I assumed he was taking the piss.

23. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Perhaps....or pehaps not?

I just won a Platinum Award for my Mondial 8 at the local "Burger King Drive Thru" lawn event. Perhaps with this provenance and my Ivy League schooling, I would be entitled to entertain offers in the mid $300K range, from qualified buyers, of course...

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #499 teak360, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    It was once the car of the month in the Harvard Lampoon...

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Man, I learned that a long time before law school.

Following on my prior post, I believe your car will hit $700K when the price of gold is $3,000 an ounce.

What this means is . . . without a lot of inflation, you will not get there. Just too many on the market.