Slow 308's? | FerrariChat

Slow 308's?

Discussion in '308/328' started by J Ingram, Feb 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I posted in a thread a little while back where I mentioned that the (my) carbed 308 was fun but not very fast. Well I'm here to place a definite retraction on that statement. I spent the last few months sorting out my '78 308 GTS including a complete fabricated exhaust with cats , new, reproduction wheels, modern tires, new shocks, a complete tune with carb adjustment, new distributors, points, wires and steering rack. So, since the rain finally cleared in my area, I thought it might be time to really blow it out after having all that work done to it. Initially it took forever to get it started and to keep it running mostly because it was still pretty cold outside. After a good warm up period and tooling around the neighborhood, the water and oil temp finally were at the correct reading for spirited driving. I think being a carbed car with all the emissions stuff still intact, it is a little tempermental with all it's popping and spitting until it's fully warm. I entered my favorite freeway at around 6 am to avoid traffic and the highway patrol taking it to about 70 mph. The car felt stable and seemed to want to go faster, so I complied. I mashed the throttle and this little car rocketed to a substantially higher (and not necessarily legal) speed without hesitation. I can say that this car is an absoloute joy to drive at speed becoming a living, breathing thing darting through traffic with almost arrogant ease. It respends to throttle inputs and decellerations without so much as a blink of an eye accompanied by that high-pitched whine. If it was my desire to go faster or slower, it was the car's pleasure to respond. So I must appologize to Hans and any other 308 series owners for claiming that 308's are slow. I can imagine what a Euro version must be like to drive at speed. Indeed, they are not fast in city driving because they are not meant to be drag racers, but turned loose on the open road, it becomes whole different story. It is a true sports car that can be driven aggressively and not necessarily land you in jail because of rediculously potential high speeds. If I had driven my Countach in the same way, the speeds would have been way higher and I would have been placed under the jail if I were stopped. So, having written this long post, I must say I have a new-found respect for the 308 series as a pure, fun, driver's car. This little baby is definitely a keeper!!!

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Pictures??? Video???? (I'm not saying the thread would be better WITH them....I'm just saying. ;) )

Congrats! It sounds like you have caputred the essence of what our carbed 308's are all about!
    I drove mine yesterday for the first time in a couple months....It is definetly addictive!!!

JIM

3. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Jim, you're right but I never purchased a computer for home since it has never been a priority. I use the one at work but I can't do a lot of personal applications because it's on a central server that blocks a lot of applications. I've been spending a ton getting this car sorted. Eventually, I will get a computer and then I'll post all my pics.