550 musing | FerrariChat

550 musing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Feb 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A solid week of messing with it and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have most of the sticky stuff fixed, waiting for a FedEx package from Daniel, wish I knew before starting what I know now, but that’s the price DIY’s pay.

Took the shocks off and as far as I can tell the upper mounts are not the source of the rattle in the back.

I still can tell any difference with Sport on or off, feels like Sport is on all the time.
    When I go to Brian’s he can set the shock parameters on the SD2, hopefully it will make a difference.

Side note: I called Bilstein’s repair facility in SoCal and yes, they can rebuild 550 shocks, $100 each, 2-3 week turnaround. That’s good news considering the cost of new shocks.

Took it to be smoged today, passed so next I go to DMV and register it.

Next big step is tires, I’m leaning toward Michelins, I want a comfort in a tire, not performance. The 355 has plenty of performance, this car’s for comfortable cruising.

Michelins might also alleviate some of the bumpy ride I’m getting.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Talk to me about tires, also about shock rebuilding.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Wow- If you can get 550 shocks rebuilt for $100, that is a tremendous bargain.

You probably will not notice much difference in ride between tires qualified for your Maranello at recommended pressures. The Michelins PS2s do have a higher wear rating, though, at 220.

Brian may have more experience with tires, however, and be able to give expert advice.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i have pzeros and bridgestones before, pzeros better. ran one low yesterday. discovered they do not make anymore. new rosso version is d--m near 500, ouch!

5. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    And I thought I was the only one that felt "sport" was more like a "less comfy"... :)
    I think the tire has to be really taylored to your style of driving... there is no "best tyre". There's a lot of so-so overalls, but you have to chose what works best for YOU.
    I went with Sumitomos HTRZ IIIs because they work pretty well overall and are good at the track / cheap to re-buy once I've ripped all the rubber off... all while being pretty quiet. Michelin SP2s are probably the ones most consider very good "overall", though they do not last that long... and tend to cost more...
    Whatever you do, just don't buy any used tires (no matter what story you are sold) : the break-in period of the tyre is VITAL to it's longevity / handling characteristics.
    Best of luck with your choice :)
    Cheers.