360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion | Page 7 | FerrariChat

360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by alberto, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Funny you mention it!! :eek::eek:

I just looked at Trev's profile and noticed he hasnt logged into Fchat for nearly 3 months! :(:(

Must be REALLY busy with work or this car! :D:D

I hope he logs in soon and gives us another update on how he has been going. :):)

2. RCV

RCV Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    SP, Brazil
    Wow... I mean... wow.. you´re building your own Ferrari, even better than the CS itself.. this is just fantastic. Congratulations, and please, when you have some time, we have to see a video of this amazing car!!

3. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I think Trev's passed away as no-one has heard from him for months! ;)

4. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Curious what he is doing and how is his car now.... He was always open to help and advice.

5. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #156 360trev, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the recent comments, it has really made my day reading them since I was last on here. Sorry for so few updates in recent times and not having logged on for months, life has been kind of hectic in recent months.

Big updates have been happening on the car though so let us get to them.

Weight reduction:
    Even more weight reduction (as ever), stripping weight out has become a common passtime with improvements really making a huge difference to the feel of the car. Every time I get rid of a bit more weight the car feels subjectively that much better, non essential items such as the battery tray and door (weighing as much as 2.5kg's!) getting junked in the process.

Stopping Performance:
    Brakes wise, I've temporarily gone with stock Stradale carbon CCM's and titanium wheel bolts. They are a worthwhile edition and certainly are a noticeable improvement both in stopping distances (must be at least 10%-15%). Noticed upon weighing the ccm center bells they are very heavy and so I'm looking to get them remanufactured lightweight. Also the long caliper bolts, replacing with titanium ones for lower unsprung weight.

Engine Performance:
    Engine wise, the car performance has now been fettled a little bit, it recently dyno'd at only 40 ft.pounds of torque less than a 430 Scuderia and a whopping 30 ft.pounds of torque more than a stock Challenge Stradale, that's 305ft.pounds of torque. All this with just some fine fettling. I didn't even mess with internals, superchargers, turbo's or anything more than slight optimisations (yet!) and ofcourse the software. Ultimately my current thinking is to look at transplanting an F430 engine and remap with scud base settings then supercharge it.

Lots to discuss about ECU's, TCU's too, but let me first update with a few pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RANDY6005 likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    PS. Quick Tip for Stradale owners. - FREE BHP!

1. Take off your carbon airbox covers and clean them properly.
    2. Very carefully lightly sand, smooth and then polish the insides of the airboxes so they are smooth to the touch, be careful not to damage the carbon! Be very slow and methodical.
    3. This polishing makes the airboxes very slippy to improve airflow through the boxes which improves power!
    4. Refit the airboxes after checking your air filter panels are nice and clean (if not replace them for even more power gain!)

The polishing effect improves the airflow through the filters and results in around an extra 5rwhp power gain on the dyno! Try it and be surprised!

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- The car looks really beautiful. Are you sure you want to supercharge the engine? A Scud spec engine with no supercharging will make the thing a real beast at its lower weight with fewer worries about longevity of the engine or drivetrain. 500+ horsepower should make for a really well-balanced car and sub-3000 lb weight will give it the acceleration of a 599 or Enzo. Much faster and you will not be able to shift quickly enough.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    or just put some washed K&N filters in there, that alone makes a significant diff. you can hear it every time you step on the gas with the window down

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Perhaps your right. We'll have to see how low I can go on the weight thing (I want to keep the car balanced to front to back, left to right and finally it will be correctly corner weighted before I take it back to the Nurburgring later this year). With the already very significant reduction in weight, the extra torque, power. I was absolutely startled recently at a dyno day for charity that I can now spin the rear wheels right through into 3rd gear and thats with the power I've got already ! My Rosso Corsa's tires where reasonably cold at the time though.

I let some other Ferrari owners drive it and they said its an absolute rip snorting animal now and the dyno tester who's driven quite a few of the UK Strads said it felt like a weapon with the F1 sonics as it planes up to 9000rpm.

Here's a quote from the Dyno owner Jay of Chipped UK;
    "I have to say, a few things made my eyes open yesterday, firstly we always knew that with the temps reaching 20 degrees inside the workshop we were never going to get the power of last year when temps were at 2-4 degrees.
    Then the strad map, I didnt realise how well the last revision did on even a stock car yet alone trevs weapon !!!, to gain an instant 30lbft is crazy and I think proves that no matter who writes software (me included) you simply are never going to do better than the last revision of the strad mapping.

Lastly the exhaust, well, not a lot can be said other than loud, loud, loud and powerfull, ohh, and loud !!!

This exhaust was superb, thre were no flat spots within the power band which could also be put down to a well sorted conversion by trev but where you expect the stock car to tail off power around the 7600rpm, trev's car went on well after 8500rpm !!!
    If you like the sound of an F1 engine this is for you, if your a bmw 118i lover then stay the hell away !!!!!!!"

zipperkarting likes this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #161 360trev, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the haymaker ingredients...

1. Full 7.7kg's High flow Titanium Race Spec system - no valves. (stock exhaust is over 31kg's!)
    2. 360CS Full mapping to 2006 late spec Strad ECU software [including CS's unique valve opening control overlapping and Highly sensitive Throttle maps - very nice!]
    3. 360CS Larger AFM's (pair of)
    4. 360CS CF Airboxes (pair of, polished internals for smoother flower)
    5. Challenge air resonator, 9000rpm redline.

Result +30ft.pounds of torque and equal or exceeding the output on the dyno as other Uk strads (but with significantly more torque and F1 sound from the Ti system). All on a stock Modena engine [with absolutely no porting/polishing of the intake ports].

Here's some pics of the Ti system fitted ;

12. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    #162 glasser1, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    Throw us a bone and post an audio file Trev. Please.

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No problem, I have actually made up a Dyno day video from the Charity event we all went to so watch this space on this one. Just need to upload it onto YouTube...

14. XLNLIFE

XLNLIFE Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2005
    SOUTHERN CA
    Full Name:
    JEREMY :
    Pap...After 40K plus on the posts and you missed one !!!!! Cold ones on you mate :)

15. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Trev,

This is quite possibly the coolest automotive undertaking ever.

I have owned nothing but MT cars, and the first day back home with my first car, when I could barely shift forward properly, I begun teaching myself how to heel and toe. To me, this was the quintessential skill to be learned with any car because it involves the driver with the mechanical processes more than any other action.

I have ridden in/driven various cars with automated manual gearboxes, and none of them (not even a Nissan GT-R) gave me quite the same feeling I got from braking hard and simultaneously blipping it myself. It's just so rewarding when you get it right, and even more so when the road becomes demanding. We have a road over here in Tennessee, Highway 129, or "The Dragon," which has 318 curves in 11 miles, and there isn't anything quite as satisfying as me, my car, and perfect heel/toe action all day. An automatic would be so boring.

And I have long fantasized about doing a 6-speed CS conversion. CS dynamics with 6-speed involvement? Perfect! I began to be disappointed when I learned that you would be using a standard Modena, but after reading further (learning the identical nature of the chassis') and seeing your attention to detail I became very excited. And how you just kept going and going with ideas executed beyond normal tuner standards...fabulous. I can't believe I just now came across this thread. Pap, you aren't the only one, mate. :):)

So thank you for doing this. I will be watching intently as your project unfolds.

And please, do throw us a bone or two and post a video... :)

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    AWESOME car Trev!! :D:D

Thanks for the update brother!! :):)

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Shame on me! :eek::eek:

18. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Great thread!!! Trev, pls post some interior shots as well.. any idea where you stand cost wise (labor and materials)?

19. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    This is an awesome thread, I can't wait to see what happens in the coming months.

All the best with your project.

20. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I am interested in your mention of addressing heat soak in the engine bay. I can tell the difference in performance in my std 360 under extreme heat, and I remember talking to a shop that got a pretty good relative bump in hp on the dyno from just putting some makeshift insulation around the airboxes and tubes going to the manifold, so heatsoak is a major issue w/ these cars. I have a challenge grill, and still build a lot more heat than I think is good for the car in terms of heat soak and the long term health of the electronics and wiring.

I am in the process of installing a set of Fabspeed headers that are unshielded, but ceramic coated. I also researched wrapping them, but read a lot on conflicting info about doing that as it can supposedly rapidly accelerate the wear of the header material. It will be interesting to compare before and after temps in the bay w/ the precat-less headers.

The side ventilation is pretty minimal, and the air hits a perpendicular wall, and then has a small pathway into the engine bay, but I think the fuel tanks are in the way? I also looked at a more vented glass cover, but didn't want to go that far, and it was pretty expensive. What I am interested in trying is adding NACA ducts to the undertray as was done in the challenge car. I know the scuderia has them, but don't think the stradale does? The idea of using fans to extricate air out through the challenge grill is interesting too; I've seen a 9ff Porsche supercar that used them.

Have you thought anymore on this issue? Great job btw!

21. allanuber

allanuber Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Al Jansen
    Trev, I've got the Ti exhaust of course mate - but where do we head for the other bits? Awesome work and great advice.

22. KenneBraun

KenneBraun Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Braun
    Trev,

I just gotta say, this is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. The 360 Modena CS has been my dream car for several years now, with the exception of the lack of manual transmission option, so this hits very close to my heart. I was hoping to do something similar to this in the next couple years, but not to this scale. Now that I've seen what you have achieved, I am inspired to go a similar route. I wasn't intending on subscribing here until after I purchased my first Ferrari (probably three years down the road) because I didn't want to appear as a poser. But, your thread has singlehandedly given me reason to subscribe. I HAD to see those pics of your progress. Kudos on an absolutely fantastic car!

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ............ a manual shift CS is IMO the best of both worlds ............... :)!!

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I think this is where Trev wanted the weights of stock 360 exhaust manifolds :).

They weigh 27.0 lbs for the pair and just to check my scale I weighed them individually and they did come in at half ......... at 13.5 lbs.

25. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    So, I am pretty sure that Trev would never sell this car, but what would you venture a guess as to what it would bring? Afterall, at this point, I consider it a CS, and, the only manual one in the world. More than a regular CS? Less? Same as a 360? Small premium over a regular 360?
    just curious what you guys think...