What should be my next daily driver and why? | FerrariChat

What should be my next daily driver and why?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FUNRARI, Mar 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    I'm thinking about a small luxury car, (pre-owned), Lexus IS250, Jaguar X-Type or BMW 3 Series, what are your thoughts?

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #2 62 250 GTO, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    In my opinion, the few cars you mentioned will have the same rate of repair. I prefer the BMW over the other two in terms of driving and interiors as long as there's leather, just make sure you check out the service history, have a proper per-purchase inspection and if buying from a dealership and if the car is new enough you may want to check into their extended warranty. I mostly buy used cars from private sellers do to the price difference over the dealerships and in this economy you're sure to get a deal.

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Acura TL. Hands down, the best DD you can buy for the money. It is economical, sporty, safe, comfortable and has the most advanced technology features of any car on the market. Only down side is front wheel drive, but the new one is awd. Mine is a 6 speed and I get 31 mpg on the highway.

4. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    Thanks Neil--I have driven the X-type but not the others, I know buying privately will save some $$, on the other hand as you said dealers are offering very good warranties--upto 6yr/100K which is impressive, I know what I will be doing for the next couple of months... should be fun, this is part of the fun!

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Depends on how "pre-owned" you want it to be. The TL is a good choice, and I am ok with the FWD. I am not a big fan of the styling, but it's not a bad choice.

I would get a Subaru Legacy GT with a 5-spd. AWD, extremely quick and manual trans. They don't have good resale, so you can get a 3 year old example, with low miles, in the $15K range. I was pining for one, but couldn't get the dealer to go to my price level, even though many Subie guys were saying the dealer was too high. I ended up with a 2000 Lexus GS400 - also a decent buy. Get a 2003 / 2004 (before the new body style) - 300HP V8, RWD. Goes like stink, but has an auto trans, which I've adapted to.

Go with the Scooby - fun cars and not too costly...reliable too!

6. S.H

S.H Karting

May 11, 2007
    Alabama
    #6 S.H, Mar 11, 2009
    ** DISCLAIMER: the following is meant purely as a suggestion - it is thus a reflection of how I would act in your situation. I know it's probably not what you have in mind, but it's worth bringing up, IMO :) **

I'd buy an American car - I think the vehicle lineup is great, and why not support the home economy rather than some other country's?

** Flame suit on ;) **

PS. This is not meant to be 'obstructionist' in any way.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Because the "home" country doesn't deserve it? Failing business' due to stealing, lying, misinforming, people spouting off at the mouth 24/7 about what to buy and sell and when everything hits the fan and people lose all of their money, jobs, opportunities, faith etc no one goes to jail, no one is blamed but everyone who is already rich and driving the economy into the magma deep inside the earth gets a ton of cash to "keep on keepin' on". Hardly a worthy cause. When times get hard enough, when real solutions are presented when people are held accountable then you can invest in companies and people.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yes it is, try to get a car with whatever updates it may have needed. All wheel drive cars will be a couple of grand more than the rear wheel drive and from what I've learned you can tell what car needs an extended warranty by looking at the service history and giving it a massive PPI, pull on and check everything whether you're buying from a dealer or a private seller.

9. S.H

S.H Karting

May 11, 2007
    Alabama
    I don't think you're being entirely fair here (neither to the automotive business or to the US in general), but I wouldn't begin discussing politics in here, as I wouldn't want to be the reason for a move of this thread to the P&R-section... I guess I didn't think my response and it's latent consequences through... :)

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I believe everything I wrote. Who went to jail/ before any sort of court for what happened? How much of the trillions the US government will spend over the next few years will go DIRECTLY into the pockets of already supremely rich people? How many companies will still go under even after millions and billions are sunk into them? Even if they stay "afloat" what business volume will they do? Who will give them more than a $20? Investment wise a bunch of people who got rich from naming their "business" show after themselves, had no business to spout off and drive people in any direction. The companies they were supporting or touting had no business to hide and lie about the condition of their "shops". Either way you're right, no need for a reply, this could turn into a massive. off topic thread.

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #11 355dreamer, Mar 11, 2009
    Seriously, relax? And, your from Canada... ;)

The OP wants answers about what car he should buy, not a lecture. Save it for P&R! sheeeez!

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It was a post to S.H. I called it OT, said I wouldn't expand or have another post about it and now there are two more.... Because I'm currently living in Canada doesn't mean I'm from Canada and the US problems are impacting their biggest trading partner... Canada.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Speaking strictly DD here, in the history of automobiles, has anyone ever gone wrong buying a Lexus or Acura?

At my wife's prompting, we got a Honda Accord two years ago to shuffle us to work 80 miles a day. we wanted leather, etc, in a low profile package that would never give any issues whatsoever. Mission accomplished. I do not think the car is even capable of breaking down and the car is invisible to the police.

If its reliability and low maintenance costs in a nice competent package with good performance, there are simply no other alternatives. If you are looking strictly for fun to drive and are comfortable with some hefty bills once the car leaves warranty...BMW.

Of course, you can always buy a used Porsche 996...but I digress.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't mean to be argumentative but your statements are skewed. Of course you can go wrong with an Acura and Lexus. Honda's are common because their cheap and hold up as well as other cars but aren't a sports car or a luxury car, which is what the OP is looking for. BMW's aren't always lemons either I've had a few and for the most part they've been very reliable. Some parts on the 3 series are down right cheap, Honda cheap. Also you don't have to get everything done at the dealership, there are plenty on aftermarket shops that can handle the easiest BMW to fix, a 3 series. Also dealerships charge about the same rates no matter what the makes are. $98 for BMW here and $96 for the Plymouth dealership. So the parts would be the difference and no matter what car you have there will be some parts that just seem expensive like power steering lines etc. They're a few hundred no matter what car you have, so the 3 is a good choice for entry level fun. They also stand up well over time mechanical and interior wise. They also have a higher resale value than most cars due to their reliability and desirability.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Do you mean the American cars built in Mexico or the ones built in Canada?

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    old 3 series or old 8 series, IMHO.

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #17 JoeZaff, Mar 11, 2009
    Our experiences differ. We have owned a virtual fleet of BMW-if I count my immediate family it is probably over 10. I am going to have to disagree on the reliability thing. In fact, the only car I have ever returned under the lemon law was a BMW Z3. BMW's are loads of fun, but not even in the league of Japanese cars in any measure of reliability. The engines and trannies are generally bulletproof (except on M3's) but the electronics are a mess. I did not mean to suggest that he get a Honda, obviously that car does not fit the bill I was suggesting that my experience with hondas and Acuras has lead me to believe that cars just don't get more reliable than that. What I didn't mention and should have mentioned, is that Acura TL's are probably 80% as fun to drive as BMW's with none of the headaches. There is a reason they occupy opposite sides of most reliability indexes.

Of course, my sampling is relatively small and maybe my experiences were unique. However, I can say quite emphatically that I would never own a BMW manufactured after 1999. Others mileage may differ....

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Benign perhaps but I'll toss out an Infiniti G35 six speed. 298 rwd hp, bulletproof, 100% anonymous. ;)

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    This happens a lot, someone had ten, another guy had ten and they have completely different stories. I sold more than my fair share and some people like you are just plain out of sorts with the cars, you'll see everything electrical fail and that's too bad. Other guys swear by them and when they encounter a problem they feel lucky they've had such good luck.

All in all for BMW's the 3 series are the easiest to afford and generally have the fewest issues but can be as much fun as any other model in the lineup.

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good advice. laying low is going to be a good strategy for a while.

21. SYCO GT

SYCO GT Rookie

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern CA
    I'd probably get the BMW 335i. Easily modified engine, does everything well.

I went with a Dinan Stage 2, Mini Cooper S, R53, for my daily and it works well, but it is a little small for long drives.

22. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm driving a 2003 BMW 330 Ci convertible. It's got 80K miles and it's bulletproof. I love the 335 hard top drop top, but there is basically zero trunk space with the top down. At least with mine, I can still get 2 sets of golf clubs in there with the top up or down.

The Wife has a Lexus 350GS AWD. I'm embarrassed to say it, but it runs circles around my bimmer. The interior is breathtaking.

That said, I'm driving the BMW until the wheels fall off. After that, I'll get another BMW.

-DrC

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #23 parkerfe, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    I dumped my 2006 BMW e60 M5 in August and replaced it with a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT as my daily driver and never looked back. The MS3 is plenty fast, handles great, is more fun to drive, gets better MPG, has a better build quality/materials than the M5 and cost much less to own (parts,service,tires,depreciation,ect...) than the M5.

24. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Buying a pre-owned Cadillac does not support the 'home economy' any more than buying a used Lexus or BMW. I suppose you could maybe make the case for parts on repairs, but that's about it.

25. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Out of your choices listed, I'd choose the IS250. It's gutless though, and you have to realize it functions as a two door car...the 4 doors are for appearances as the rear seat is virtually useless. I had an IS350 and it was a fun little car. Great for downtown as it's easy to park and fun to zip around in. As always, Lexus is bulletproof reliable.