308 Horn Location | FerrariChat

308 Horn Location

Discussion in '308/328' started by Big Daddy, Mar 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    My horn has stopped working. I hear the relay clicking when I push the button, so I think the problem may be the horn itself.

Can anyone give me instructions for accessing and removing the horn for testing? I have an '81 308 GTSi.

Thanks.

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    b4 you even take the horn out,there are three screw's on top,take those out and pry off the lid,squirt about 3-4 drops of 3 in 1 oil,put back the lid and see if that works for you,alot of times these horns need to be lubricated on a regular bases

3. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    The unit is located in the right front near the headlight motor. Open the front boot and look between the right headlight and the spare tire well. You will see the the rounf top of the compressor with the three screws that were mentioned. No need to take anything apart.

4. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #4 Owens84QV, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I found the compressor in my car, but the location is a bit different than what is in the photo.

I was wondering about the plastic tab on the top of the compressor that reads "oil". Should I be adding oil there instead of taking the cover off, or is this for adding oil as regular maintenance? And if so what kind of oil am I supposed to use? Thanks.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    Both -- some compressors have the oiling port (so add the oil there) and some don't (so you have to disassemble the cover to add the oil).

A light machine oil is ideal (e.g., sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil), but almost any oil is better than nothing. (Assuming the +12V is reaching the electric motor) You might still need to disassemble and clean things up (if you are presently "frozen"), but try adding a few drops -- if it doesn't work immediately, it might after allowing a few minutes for the oil to wick around, but if still dead = disassemble.

It really does help keep the compressor in better shape to "toot" the horn once in a while.

7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Thanks everyone for your help.

It turned out the compressor wasn't working because the fuse was bad. I replaced the fuse and the compressor worked but the horn did not sound (I oiled the compressor anyway). I removed the horn and it seems to have been clogged up with rust and mud. I tried to clean it out but it still didn't work.

So, I installed a cheap plastic air horn I had lying around next to the compressor and connected it with a new air hose, and it is working great for now.

I will see if I can repair the old horn. If it does not work I will decide if I want to keep my cheap plastic horn or replace the original, which T. Rutlands sells for about $110 delivered.

In the meantime, thanks for all the advice. It is good to have a working horn again.

Fort Worth 360 likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    FIAMM horn kits are often available at local auto parts stores.

Good you got it sorted......I found the headlight had pinched off the air lines....LOL!

9. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    So funny that we have to oil our horns! :)

10. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Harbor Freight sells the horns for about $12.

11. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    This picture isn't helping me much. Does someone want to give me a clue to what I am looking at?

12. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    First picture was taken fore of the front passenger tire in the area below the headlight. The area is almost too clean to be recognizable.

In my car the compressor is on the other side of the bulkhead shown and the plastic tooters are in center ahead of the radiator and is accessible from above near the bonnet hinge.