de Rethy 330GTC's | FerrariChat

de Rethy 330GTC's

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bannishg, Mar 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I am looking for info, any info, on any of the 4 de Rethy GTC's. I can't seem to find any information on their backgrounds, specs, current whereabouts etc.... All I know is that one was for sale in 1975 at $15,000 and Fantasy Junction had one for sale 2 years ago at $1,500,000.

2. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very Nice! I didn't realize how beautiful they were! Thanks much!

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    They are but 10659 in the first link made me vomit on my keyboard.... (see first link). Must be the ugliest '60ies Ferrari ever built, surely?

Onno

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Not Zagato's best effort.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Probably one of the worst Zagato designs. I never cared too much for the PF de Rethy's either. They certainly weren't an improvement over the standard GTC, in my opinion.

Jack.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I'd have to agree with that. I didn't know the history behind these, and the only pic I ever saw of one was in a book (IIRC correctly owned by Norman Silver?) I was under the impression that it was a styling excersize to arrive at the Queen Mother. The standard GTC is one of the finest efforts of the 60-ies.

7. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    I restored #9653, I believe the 2nd car built and the ex famed open heart surgeon Dr. Debakey's car in the early 90's for then owner Peter Sidlow. It went to the Ferrari nationals in Michigan in '91 or '92 and won the Luigi Chinetti award and then it went to Concours Italiano and won Best of Show. Todd Morici subsequently ended up with it after Peter's business's fell on hard times. I have not seen the car since that time. I believe there was actually 5 cars built, all painted in Azzuro Metallizzato with various interior colors. Greg Garrisons had a white interior and the DeBakey car had a black interior done by Tony Nancy during my restoration. One was painted black in the late 80's, early 90's and was sold to a european buyer shortly thereafter. Best Regards, Mike Regalia

8. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Haha, is that why everyone in the photograph is huddled around the 250SWB, and not even a single forlorn glance is directed toward the Zagato? Strangely enough, I have an ad from HMN Jan. '97 offering that exact car for about $100,000. You'd think that would be cheap for a one-off Zagato... It looks like the mutant offspring of a 1979 Mazda RX7 and a GTC/4.

9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I last saw one of these "princess" versions in a paint shop in RWC, CA around '93-95(?)...
    I actually called Mike R and asked about the pop-ups.
    He'd indicated that he'd had to fab all of th eparts for the one which he'd done(or was it a 365 Cal???)...
    anyways, a blue mettallic car with an odd s/n and 365 GTC grilles(I think??) adorned it as I recall..
    it was almost 15 years ago after all...
    Car was, and I think still is, in the greater Bay Area...

10. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    I actually have done three of the Pininfarina pop up high beamed cars(2 365 cal spyders) and one of the De Rethy 330GTC's. It was purely a styling exercise that did'nt offer any lighting advantages over a convential single high/low beam light(and probably the reason some owners eliminated them). There were a number of cars including a couple of 365 GTC's that had this arrangement as well. I completely refabricated the entire system for one of the 365's and made half of the other ones system. The system is quite elaborate, using a centrally mounted single power window motor, relay, and limit switches, a modified single vent window gearbox driving two "halfshafts" connected to the clamshell articulated light mechanisms. The whole system is very delicate and very sensitive to any sort of "flex" or play in it. Adjustment is very difficult and precise to get the top lids and the bottom light spheres to articulate properly, AND, open and close properly to the nose panel itself, not to mention from left to right so both close/open simultaneouly. If I never see another one again it would'nt bother me to much :)! Although I do have all the tooling and patterns should the need arise. Regards, Mike

11. regaliaconcours

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Actually it was 4 cars. I forgot about 365 cal/spyder 10077 when I was at the Nethercutt Collection.

12. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Mike, we chatted about the scope of the project, and for you to fab it up-my position, as is usually the case in such matters: why try and re-invent the wheel!
    Your estimate was-at the time-the paltry sum of $5000.00. Absurdly cheap, IMHO, even 15-17 years ago!
    The owner gagged, and thought we were nuts...I have no time for such foolishness, and thanked you for your consideration, and never spoke with the owner again.
    You will be amused to find out who is at this end of the line...{LOL :) }

We will PM you next week...
    CIAO!

13. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    When I worked for European Auto Restoration on the early 1990's, we restored one of the deRethy cars, which I believe was the first one. As I remember it, the coachwork in the rear was like a 330GTC and the front nose had the pop-up lights in the nose and the covered headlights. The car was definitely Azzuro Metallizato with probably tan interior IIRC. The car was purchased through John Hadjuk in Indiana. We sold the car and then restored it. We had to have gears made for the pop-up lights as they didn't function.
    Later, we offered the black one 10107 for sale and I took many pictures of that car. Black with black interior and gray carpets.
    I will have to dig through my archives to see if I have any pics of the de Rethy car.