91 TR with 360 brakes? anyone done this? | FerrariChat

91 TR with 360 brakes? anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by hotcello, Mar 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    recently I just got a set of 512 TR wheels for my 91 Testarossa. The caliper really looks small to me especially with the bigger wheel. Has anyone upgrade the caliper to a larger one? I have an extra pair of calipers, rotors and pads from my 360 and was wondering if they can be installed on to my 91 TR. Has anyone done this before? can I put it on both front and rears?
    Thanks
    Ken

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Front and rear brakes on 360 are identical and brake proportioning is taken care of by a function of the ABS system.

Hooking those calipers up to the existing system in the TR would not be a good match.

3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    What about calipers and rotors from a 355 Brian. Will that work better?

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    355 weighs less than a TR, that would be bad too

Just put your 360 brakes on ebay and buy a nice pair of brembos

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Unless you are ready to do some R&D and probably make other expensive changes you would be better off.

6. svxit

svxit Rookie

Dec 18, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Full Name:
    O Davis
    Hi, I'm a new member who has been lurking for a while and wanted to chime in on this one. Several years ago there was an article in "Forza" on retrofitting of F40 front brakes to the TR. I'll see if I can find the issue but, from what I remember, they fit behind the OEM wheels and performed much better. Hope this helps.

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Rifledriver,

what would be a good uprade in your opinion.

I've heard if you have the space with the 512TR wheel, the F 50 brakes will fit. Just buy them from Brembo, not Ferrari. I can't confirm but didn't a former forum member do this? His Testa was the pix of the one next to fighter plane on a military base....with a few ground crew looking at the car. ( He had different wheels...not TR's )

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To the best of my knowledge that was front brakes only. A really big problem with the TR brakes is they were taken straight off an old front engine car and put on a TR and even that car was well known for bad brakes. TR has a much better weight distribution and quite a bit of tire on the back yet it has lawn mower brakes back there. A car like that CAN use some rear brakes and a complete package should take that into consideration yet all anyone wants to do is slap some big off the shelf calipers on the front.

The car needs some real engineering in that area.

If I was going to do anything in that area I would be getting in touch with Girodisc. NO ONE else is addressing the cars real needs.

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Shamile - that is 88Testarossa on here. He lives in my area. I believe he has the Brembo offered TR "kit" behind his wheels - HRE's I believe.

CC

10. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Why bother:?

http://www.movit.de/rahmen/ferrari.htm These guys have already done it! us is distributor is Steve D' at ultimategarage.com

they also do ceramic brakes, probably extremely expensive. If you go this route, would like to hear some feedback.