Sticky linkage in 328 | FerrariChat

Sticky linkage in 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Mar 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this chatroom. I look forward to discussing topics with you!

I have a 1989 328 GTS with about 30K miles. Especially when it's warm, the throttle seems to stick at high revs far above idle. I've tried carb cleaner to no avail. Dry graphite on the linkage seems to work best, but it is only a temporary solution. Has anyone else experienced this and has a solution?

Thanks for any help!

Tim

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Perhaps try a little WD-40 on the throttle linkage joints. Carb cleaner is good but it doesn't have any lubricating qualities. WD-40 will tend to break down accumulations of corrosion which graphic generally won't do. One silly suggestion, make sure the floor mats aren't partially laying on top of the throttle pedal or binding the mechanism somehow.

3. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dumb question-
    Have you checked the floor mat by the gas pedal? Its not called italian cruise control for nothin

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I gotta tell this story...

Guy brought in a turbo car, complaining that it would not reach the boost that it used to, would only get to around 8PSI instead of the 15 it had always done., thought it needed the engine to be "refreshed." One of the mechanics did 4 hours worth of tests. Told me he couldn't find anything wrong with the wastegate, etc and agreed it must need engine work. I asked, "Did you check the carpet?" "Huh?" was the answer...Yep, turned out the carpet had bunched up under the gas pedal so the throttle wouldn't open all the way. Shop owner didn't charge the guy for the "expert" work! :)

No, I'm not that smart, but the same thing had happened to me years before and I never forgot it...

5. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    I had this same problem; WD40 on the connection to the throttle cable a couple of times seemed to cure it.

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #6 spiderseeker, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You need to see if the sticky problem is at the gas pedal or at the throttle.
    My 308 throttle was doing the same thing a couple of years ago. I used some light grease at the arrow's location in the photo and it works great now. (photo was taken before the engine was detailed)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    Thanks Guys!

I'll give that a try.

Tim

8. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Italian Cruise Control .. the carpet.

9. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    What does it look like now?

10. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #10 spiderseeker, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    During a recent road trip from Cocoa, Fl to Sarasota for the Ferraris at St. Armands, I noticed the throttle pedal was getting a little tougher to depress. After St. Armands, went to Sebring to meet up with some friends at a Skip Barber function - didn't drive the car on the track. Upon leaving Sebring after sunset, I could hardly press the pedal, and was embarrassed trying to accelerate after stop lights went green.... I was afraid of pushing the pedal to hard and breaking it.... The pedal would barely move forward, but would easily come back to idle.

Fortunately, most of the way was interstate and finally got home....tail between legs.... and sweating it out....

Couldn't sleep, so did a search on the almighty F-chat for "328 sticky throttle" found threads dating back to 2004.
    bottom line - check linkage at the floor and at engine.

Went down to the garage, pulled the floor mats, and pulled out some tape, and other dirt and debris from the pedal mount area, squirted hinge pins with WD-40, and slowly the pedal freed up and now, it is smoother than it ever was....

Thanks to F-chat, once again

12. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Got to love these cars. Sometimes very frustrating problems have a simple solution. Makes you feel good after you fix it.