Ferrari Mondial-squeak from steering wheel? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial-squeak from steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JoeZaff, Apr 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I took my 1986 Mondial 3.2 cab for a drive today and noticed a pretty bad squeaking sound from just behind the steering wheel. It is a lower pitched squeak, almost like a creaking door opening and closing and its pretty loud. It only occurs in the first 45 degrees of rotation. At first I thought the plastic cover was rubbing, but I have ruled that out. Unlike the higher pitched squeak I occasionally get from just behind the wheel in really cold weather, this one is not weather dependent. I am reluctant to keep driving it until I know what is going on because its not a very pleasant sound and would rather not destroy an otherwise sound steering rack.

Any thoughts?

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok, I took the cover off and the sound is coming from right behind the Steering wheel hub and inside the Commutator housing. Its sounds like something rubbing together. The steering column is dry and I don't see any signs of leaking. The sound has a rubbing sound to it, like two things scraping together. It started without warning, which leads me to believe something has come loose within the housing, rather than a lack of lubricant or something, which I would imagine would start small and get louder. It also begins occurs before enough steering is induced to even activate the lower shaft. Another words, I don't have to put any stress on the rack whatsoever for the sound to occur.

Does this help?

3. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I have the same issue in my 328. When I took the switch assembly off to re-solder my horn wire (stereo install by morons broke it) I lubed the plastic parts with some plastic specific lube that I have for audio applications. It went away for a while, but now it's back.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for your help!

I am now about 100% confident it is coming from the horn ring, just aft of the steering wheel hub. I don't know what it is called, but it is the brass ring that has the springloaded piece that rotates around and activates the horn--if that makes any sense. I haven't visually inspected the part, ---but I know its there ;)

Looking at the parts diagrams, it is the only part that could possibly be causing the sound. I imagine the lube has just worn away over time. Now the issue is, is there any easy way to get to it without taking apart the column, and if so, what lubricant to use to get to the part. I anticipate that I will be able to see the brass ring from below the column, but I haven't tried yet (That is what my evenings are for apparently) . I also got to figure out what lube can I put on that will get me another 22 years of service ;) If I use a WD-40 type lube, it will just dissipate in a few months and I will be doing this semi-annually forever. I have no idea what is currently used. Any suggestions, thoughts on anything I have said?

5. ClandestineService

Jan 17, 2009
    I had 1 of these too...
    it squeeked when left in the California sun with the top down(was it ever really up?)...
    it was in the horn, column, and some bearing in the column, it was quiet for 2 years after a 2000.00 bill, it came back-I sold it after that...fool me once shame on you, twice, shame on me!
    good luck!