Runway Field Length? | FerrariChat

Runway Field Length?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by menoy, Apr 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    I know what Takeoff Field Length is, I know what Landing Field Length is.... but I can't find anywhere what Runway Field Length is. Can anyone help?

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think what you are referring to is simply Runway Length. If you are operating out of a facility with a runway you plan your flying around the length of the runway. Runway is a finite prepared surface on a field. If you are operating out of a field then you talk about field length.
    I hope that helped.
    Switches

3. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    #3 menoy, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Takeoff/Landing Field Lengths are defined by FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) and have nothing to do with whether the surface is unprepared or not, so I would suspect that neither would the Runway Field Length I am looking for....

PS I got this "Runway Field Length" from a Cessna Flight Manual, which mentions the runway length and runway available. Hence my suspicion that RFL is not simply runway length - if it was, why would it be capitalised and hence differentiated from "runway length" that also appears in the text?.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I guess that there is a problem with symantics here and I don't understand the meaning of runway field length. Your talking about two different things in my mind, a runway and a field. I guess that I'm too old to help you.
    Switches

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  6. ea500guy

ea500guy Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Full Name:
    EP Pierce
    I've also heard this used to describe TODA or Take Off Distance Available, which includes all available runway and clearway (which is a clear area beyond the runway which must be 500' wide, slope of 1.25%, and under the control of the airport authority).

If you like that, here are some more you may have thrown at you by a well-intentioned check airman:

TORA is Take Off Run Availible (which is whatever portion of the runway you are allowed to put your wheels on).

ASDA is Accelerate/Stop Distance Available (Total distance of runway and stopway)

Value of "D" is the equivalent balanced field length considering slope and wind

Value of "X" is the number used to determine the split between V1 and VR

If you enjoyed all of this, go get type rated by a Fed. While your eyes are shut for the unusual attitude, be prepared for an autopilot malfunction and runaway pitch trim resulting in a fantastic mach overspeed at 30 degrees positive attitude before he says, "Your controls". I think they teach that one to the new POIs during orientation...

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks a lot. It makes absolutely no COMMON sense to me. It mixes two disparate terms. I'm glad that I don't have to fly in this environment anymore.
    Switches

8. ea500guy

ea500guy Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Full Name:
    EP Pierce
    It really isn't too bad. Most of the time you operate in conditions you have operated in before, so you already know what the approximate numbers are going to be. The rest of the time (when I actually need to know that junk), the FMS takes the weight, temperature, winds and runway I plug in, then calculates the rest of that stuff from it's own database of slope, clearway, etc. It makes it pretty easy. You just have to know how to push buttons. Some of the guys I fly with don't even know how to calculate a descent in their head. The box does it all.