15th Anniversary of Imola 1994 | FerrariChat

15th Anniversary of Imola 1994

Discussion in 'F1' started by davebuchner, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    #1 davebuchner, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was thinking a lot last night about the fact that this week will mark the 15th anniversary of Imola 1994, when Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna were killed; Ratzenberger in qualifying on the Saturday (30th April) and then Senna on the 5th lap of the race (1st May 1994).

We have been very fortunate to have had no fatalities for the last 15 years, about the closest that I recall being Hakkinen's 1995 accident in Australia. Thank goodness for the FIA and the drivers association ensuring that safety has became a number one issue.

I was very fortunate to visit Senna's grave in Sao Paolo in 2006 when I was there for Schumi's last race. It is a very peaceful and tranquil place, and it was very humbling to spend some time there. It is such a simple grave - for such a larger than life character. I would recommend anyone who goes to SP take a couple hours out to make the trip.

I have been a die-hard Schumi and Ferrari fan ever since MS decided to leave a winning team to move to the struggling Ferrari at the start of 1996; but I often wonder where my loyalties would have been had Senna survived and continued to race for a few more seasons. I really dont know.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I apologize if this comes out wrong, as I am FAR from eloquent sometimes.

I've only been truly following Formula 1 for about 3 years now. That being said I've read about Ayrton and his impact on the sport. Even in death he's contributed SO much to safety and ensuring that safety is and stays a top priority in Formula 1. I point to Kubica's crash to years ago in Montreal as an example. IIRC, Kubica walked away with some bruises?

Rest in peace gentlemen........

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Kubica survived a 50+g frontal impact; a testament to the sports safety improvements.

4. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a very nice vacation in Brazil a couple years ago but didn't visit the grave as the only time I spent in Sao Palo was at the airport. I definitely plan to on my next visit. I am surpised a giant shrine wasn't built for him, but I suppose this is the way he would have wanted it.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Would have been fatal if Sid Watkins was +- 15 secs later apparently...

Alonso also suffered a brutal accident at the 2003 Brazilian GP, i think the impact was around 60G's and a second hit at around half that a few seconds later.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Thanks for posting; always good to pay respects and never forget....
    kevin

7. rr87

rr87 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2007
    Europe
    I believe it's simple because he wanted to. I know he and his family had money...anyway it really sucks to know it will be 15 years.

8. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I was thinking about Senna's death just this morning, but it didn't dawn on me that it was almost 15 years ago. I still remember watching it live back when F1 was on ESPN2. A very sad morning indeed.

9. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i watched the clip of Senna's accident earlier today..i have to say i got quite emotional..great post btw

10. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #10 Barrister, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    And to think that it wasn't the impact that was fatal. A piece of debris from the front wheel suspension entered his helmet in a gap above the visor. What a freak accident. RIP.

Ratzenburger should not be forgotten either. After the race they found a blood-soaked Austrian flag in Senna's car that he planned to use as a tribute to Ratzenburger after the race.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I've read and seen the video footage about that tragic weekend. Rubens Barichello had a horrible crash on Friday's practice. Ratzenburger died on Saturday during qualifying I think, and Ayrton Senna died on Sunday's race. Senna was already brain-dead by the time he got to he hospital.

The Austrian flag was actually in Senna's sleeve. It was found by medical personnel at the hospital when they cut open his racing suit. Senna had planned to fly the Austrian colors after he had won the race at Imola.

12. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've never heard that detail. :( Senna had his rough edges but had a good heart. He certainly made the sport exciting.

I didn't have much access to F1 at the time and didn't follow F1 fanatically like I do now until the late '90s. I really enjoy the excellent Speed coverage, wish that would've been around back then. I've been attempting to find DVD full seasons of classic F1 races with good coverage from the '80s to early '90s, does anyone know where to find them?

13. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    One thing I find very sad is that Roland Ratzenberger is often forgotten when talking about that disastrous weekend. Yes, it was only his second F1 race and he was nowhere near the driving level of Senna, but his death was just as tragic as Senna's, and it is a shame that he is often only mentioned as a mere footnote.

14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yep any death in the sport is real sad, whoever it is.

Nice Senna had a flag in his car for him though.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

try racing-underground.com , they have a lot of videos of anything race related

16. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    It is truly a horrible event that Senna had to die, but I think he would be proud of how many future F1 drivers he saved. Coulthard (Australia), Schumacher (Silverstone), and Kubica (Canada) are just a few names that pop into my head of drivers that would probably not have survived their crashes without the extra safety features.

17. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    15 years ago today. RIP Ayrton.

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We attended many F1 races at Imola, if I can find the cd with photos, I'll post the lovely bronze tribute to him at the turn where the incident occurred.

Carol

19. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    #19 05011994, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #20 classic308, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
    In terms of safety, Senna picked up where Stewart left off. Look at some video footage (youtube) where Jackie is doing a lap of the 'ring-no guardrails, trees and sign posts just off the road. Those guys were hard....
    I remember the weekend like it was yesterday. So sad. I have to give kudos to damon hill-what was going through his mind as he got in the same car that senna went off in, knowing that there was a good chance that it was a mechanical failure and he'd have to go a full race distance in the same car.....a nightmarish weekend all around. I had lost respect for senna after his stupid and dangerous act in Japan 1990 but watching him (and MS) after that makes one realize that almost all the greats, due to their will to win, are rendered temporarily insane by the red mist. I have been following F1 since 75 and he's in my top three. Poor ratzenberger never even had a chance to show his stuff.

RIP AS and RR

PS-kudos also to the italian journalist who had graphic pictures of AS being worked on just after the incident. Instead of cashing in out of respect he gave the pics and film to the family.

21. BRF1TIFOSO

BRF1TIFOSO Rookie

Jun 4, 2005
    US
    +1

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I found out about Senna when Dale Earnhardt dedicated a win at Talladega to Ayrton that same day. Cruel irony.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I remember the day so vividly. So sad!!!!!!!! Can't beleive it's been 15 years it seems like 7-8years. Arguably one of the best there ever was!!!! R.I.P.!!!!!

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I remember that day like it was yesterday. Definitely one of the saddest days of my life. Will never forget it.

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +2

As many of you have I watched Ayrton from the begining till the end and I truelly miss him.

RIP Ayrton,
    tex