wireless backup camera on F360 | FerrariChat

wireless backup camera on F360

Discussion in '360/430' started by csteve, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    has anyone done this on F360 or F430? If so any feeckback if it works well?

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If your car has the rear challenge grill, you can train your eye to look through the holes and get a better idea of how close you are when backing up and parking.
    I learned to do this and parallel park all the time without any problem. I decided not to install a rear view camera.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

having the rear challenge grill is very helpful for backing up. The 360CS rear grill has slightly larger holes, if you don't mind welding up the holes for the badge.

Ray

4. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    As compared to the 'regular/optioned challenge grill'?
    Interesting; never heard that before.
    Wonder why this is and one would think the CS would cool more efficiently (compared to a 360 with a challenge grill).

5. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    #5 horsmanp, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No holes drilled except the screen... Ran wire through the engine compartment (had my Ferrari mechanic do it) and then through the current wiring holes into the cabin and under the center tunnel... Its pretty cool put in a deck that has a non pop out screen so it looks pretty stock. FYI the license plate on the 355 is not mine, its the previous owners. I have the plate 355spdr coming to me in the mail!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #6 hotcello, Apr 28, 2009
  7. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    This is exactly what I have -- the best solution (especially if you get a widescreen camera!)

8. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    What brand/model camera system do you guys use? I have a Kenwood stereo with a flip-up DVD screen, and there is a camera attachment for it out there, but it's a wired camera that doesn't look anything like what you have on yours.

9. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Don't know actually, I bought the set up from a former 360 owner that came with my Pioneer Avic- N3. The whole camera is attached to the license plate frame with a very long wire that you plug behind the brain unit.

10. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    RL26 CHROME Universal High Resolution Backup / Rearview Night Camera with Chrome License Plate Frame -- it's made by some OEM in China. I paid $100 for it (connected to JVC NXD 505). It comes with a standard RCA plug, so it is probably connectable to your stereo.

Eugene

11. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Thanks, Eugene. I found it online at this place that sells a lot of other ones too: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7992_RL26+BLACK+Universal+High+Resolution+Backup+-+Rearview+Night+Camera+with+Black+License+Plate+Frame.html

But the RL26 seems to have the most features and at a reasonable price.

12. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    can not see thru challenge grill on a spider....is the RL26 license plate camera wireless?

13. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    No, it has a cable that connects to your monitor (mine is part of my stereo). Wireless cameras are supposed to have problems with interference and not working well on occasion.

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK

True Zips. The Challenge Stradale grill has slightly larger holes and is made from aluminium and not steel as per the Challenge grill, therefore lighter. I bought the CS grill and had the two extra holes mig-welded (if that's the correct term for repairing aluminium?) and then re-sprayed.

15. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Hey Martin, do you have a close up pic handy of your grill w/ cav? I'd like to get a relative size comparison of the holes (not sure it's possible though).
    Thanks a bunch!

edit: a shot like your avatar.

16. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Should be TIG welded, you can MIG aluminum.

17. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    #17 Derek Trotter, Apr 30, 2009
    Here you go Zips:

18. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Excellent, thank you sir!

19. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
  20. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    Derek, that is one amazing picture of ur CS grill!! Do you happen to have a photo with the rear view of the whole vehicle. Think I might do the same thing on my CS grill!!! thx v v v v much

21. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    csteve - PM sent :).

22. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    #22 hawaii1, May 11, 2009
    I was originally inspired by F1 racing camera mounted onboard where teams can watch their drivers racing. So I mounted a forward camera to record myself enjoy driving the car around. It will be a very personal memorable video collection, where I can replay back to watch myself having fun on a daily basis. When I get older, I can show my videos and say hey I once drove a Ferrari, when I was your younger age, son. :D

23. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    But do you mount the camera looking at the rear at an angle or just looking straight down from the rear? I would imagine it's a bit difficult to judge the distance if the direction of the camera is straight horizontal?