Still thinking possibility of Barcelona behind closed doors? | FerrariChat

Still thinking possibility of Barcelona behind closed doors?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, May 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Based on the coverage of the FIM Moto race at Jerez yesterday, the fans were more than plentiful as always for the race. They'd be stupid to forbid entrance to the F1 fans this week/weekend in Montmelo.

Carol

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well I hope the cooler heads will prevail. I said it last week that this whole thing is totally overblown. By now even in Mexico the virus is in retreat, so hopefully the Europeans will soon get out of their hysteria mode.

The WHO has to change its guidelines. While they acted according to them, guidelines which do not account for mortality levels are useless. We'll have one of these "pandemics" every year.

Anyway: Andale Montmelo!

3. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Unless you are an infectious disease expert, I think I'll listen to the recognized experts such as Peter Osterholm, who says we are just in the middle of this outbreak. I can't comment on Euro hysteria, but risks still exist.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    FYI - I know that the LMS race is Spa is NOT CANCELLED to spectators as we got an email yesterday telling us where to go to get our pit walk passes! Some news reports say it's slowing down while others are hitting the gullibles with doom and gloom going to occur (typical scare tactics from the news media).I think it's the Asian part of the world that's in hysterical mode. School closed in a district not far from us - you can be assured that those kids are not staying home!!! Lucky kids as the state has exempted them from meeting the full 181 days. I am glad to see new headlines on msnbc for a change!!

New buzz word - pandemic.

Carol

5. edgar 1E

edgar 1E Rookie

May 4, 2009
    This would be an exaggerated measure, it's well known that in this specific outbreak any crowd should be avoided. But considering the fact that Spain is far away from the epicenter of the disease, closing the tiers to the public will be not only useless but unfair.
    On the other hand, if this was the situation, the F1 wouldn't lose too much, since the major profits come from the advertisers and broadcasting rigths.
    Of course, I think it is not the same feeling to be present at a race than just watch it on t.v.

P.S this is my first post, best regards!

6. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    This won't happen. I have not seen any reliable news media even suggest it is a possibility. As far as I'm concerned this is a non-story. This flu 'pandemic' has killed 26 people. Being overweight or a smoker is much much more likely to kill you than this particular brand of flu. 'Normal' flu is much more likely to kill you!

The world does really seem to have gone mad when 26 Mexicans die from the flu and it is headline news across the world. It's a tragedy for the families involved, but it shouldn't affect something like an F1 race on the other side of the ocean.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't know how true is this, but it seems, Mexico signed a 1bil support contract with the US a while ago. They wanted the cash, so they burned pigs, and the fumes affected some who were involved in the pig burning thing, and thats when they declared 'swine flu', in bid to get the cash from US. ANyone else heard about this?

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Welcome, you should consider subscribinig.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Considering that I now live in Mexico 50% of the time, I took the "threat" seriously. Didn't lock myself in the house, but did not find the need to mingle in large crowds.

Was the situation blown out of perpective? Maybe, but in situations such as this it is better safe than sorry. I am not an expert on these matters, apparently many people on FChat are such. I am impressed.

I think the international organizations handled this as well as can be expected. Better they overreact than to do a Bushism and do nothing or something stupid. If stupidity can spread as quickly as it does, seems like some unknown virus can do the same.

10. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    It seems rather extreme but I am no means a disease expert. If you get a few people that have it in the track you could easily spread it to several hundred if not thousand people who then spread it to another hundred who then spread it to another hundred and so on and so on.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #11 tifosi12, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    I don't need to be an expert. The news tell me every day what the mortality rate is. So far it hasn't really happened outside of Mexico, where there are different conditions. It ain't rocket science.

Birdflu was the same hoax.

The flip side of the WHO crying wolf all the time is, that at some point we will have a real pandemic, which will kill people and nobody will take it seriously anymore.

12. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hadn't heard that, but I can tell you it's garbage. You don't get flu from fumes, it's a virus and the strain of virus involved in this outbreak has been positively identified. It's real enough, although apparently not as dangerous as was initially feared.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #13 tifosi12, May 5, 2009
    By now we have had hundreds of people infected with it, yet nobody died anymore (after the initial cases in Mexico). This is just another version of the flu. We don't raise pandemic levels in the winter when 10,000 Americans die from that.

The WHO needs to adjust its guidelines: They need to add mortality rates into their guidelines. Just raising the pandemic levels based on the geographical spreading is not looking at the full picture.

14. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    In the past, epidemics of "just another version of the flu" have killed millions, not just tens of thousands, so it's not something with which any chances should be taken. If you do nothing until mortality rates are high it's probably already too late to take really effective action.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #15 tifosi12, May 5, 2009
    There haven't been that many epidemics, so I assume you're referring to the 1918 swine flu. It killed people within 48 hours. We are now about 2 weeks into this thing. If nobody has been killed, you can probably lower the guardrail.