The $574 512TR Light | FerrariChat

The $574 512TR Light

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by AHudson, May 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I was going through my service history on my 'new' car and came across "Customer states driving lens is broken - Replace". That very vulnerable "lens" wasn't sold separately, but cost him $574 to replace. That's an expensive rock chip. I started looking for clean lens protection for these cars; never found it.

So, I got enough for my stuff, painstakingly cut, and recut, and recut (!), installed them, and WOW! Crystal clear, 6 mils of protection. But I had two sheets left and had a thought. I asked my daughter (who is a very good cutter outer) to trim out as many sets as she could from these sheets using my pattern. (She's earning money for mission trip this summer.) There are FOUR sets only at $49 per set and ONLY for the 512TR. Posting pics and the listing in FerrariAds tonight. Every dime will go to her. Or just PM me to hold a set or whatever til then.

Or, if you're a do-it-yourselfer, check out the material by 'scratchtek' (also 'invisi-shield') and you can pattern and cut your own. I had to buy $130 of material, but you may find a better deal. The TR lights are mostly flat with one compound curve (which caused me the 'recutting' episode). My sets are done, or you can have at it yourself. Either way works!

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have had good luck with Lamin-X. http://www.lamin-x.com/Two-6x12-Universal-Lamin-x-Covers-p/2-612.htm
    They have a wide selection of pre-cut as well as bulk flats and and rolls up to 15 feet long.
    For my TR I found two 6" x 12" pieces for 24.95 with these options,
    Clear (8 Mil)
    Clear (12 mil)
    Clear (20 mil)
    Clear (40 mil)
    Yellow
    Optic Blue
    Tint
    Gunsmoke
    Smoked
    Charcoal
    Red

3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Good stuff and good find! Not pre-cut for TR, right?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Which one's did you use ? The 8 mil's ?

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Not pre-cut but a wide variety of cut flat sizes,

4x8
    7x8
    6x12
    8x16
    9x30
    12x24
    24x24

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have used the 8mil Yellow for the fog lights and high beams on both of my BMW's. The 8mil is good for reducing sandblasting and minor hits but probably not thick enough for the bigger stuff.

For the driving lights on the TR I will be using the 40mil clear.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #7 Spasso, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, May 21, 2009
    You described the risk of damaging the lense and the financial problem well ! So I ordered the Lamin-X product in 40 mil.

Can you also describe how you fixed the Lamin-X on the lights ? Will surely help me and may be a help for other members...

I made a model in paper first and am about to prepare the job.

Any good tips before I start ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I did what you are doing, I made cardboard templates and traced the outline.
    Instructions say to LIGHTLY mist the light lens before application, being careful NOT to apply too much water.
    I installed the yellow on the BMW's with NO water on the light lens and it worked fine.
    Use water liberally on the outer surface to squeegee.
    The instructions also point out the techniques to avoid wrinkles etc............
    There are usually a few tiny bubbles in the plastic at first but will dissipate with time.

On cooler days I used a heat gun to warm the light lens surface.

I trimmed the edges in a few places with a razor knife after the film was applied.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Han, I put the paper template on the actual plastic..... guess what..?

The Lamin-X film is about 2 mm to small...or: I would have liked it to be 0,5 - 1 cm wider.... Will have to fix it on now, no other possibility.....

Pitty that Lamin-X only just provides what they offer.....and not one milimeter on every side more....

Will let you know next week when I will take the lights out.

11. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Well that's a pain. Sounds like it will still cover 98% of the lens, right? If you're really a perfectionist, you could get more sheets and have a seam in the middle. The material is so clear it'd be difficult to notice, but dirt might enter. That's a tough call.

I bought rather large sheets, I think they were 12x24 each. Also, for installation, I found that spraying with the water/alcohol allowed me to shift the shield until it 'stuck'. THEN I got out the hair dryer to get the compound curve to lay down. After that, I just chased bubbles for a while and that was it.

Best wishes with it.

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #12 Spasso, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Larger sheets are your other option.
    Take your pick,
    4x8
    7x8
    6x12
    8x16
    9x30
    12x24
    24x24
    Older TR lights are smaller so I can use the one 8 x 16 to do both lights. (I didn't do the turn signals)

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Lamin-X recommends against cleaning or using with alcohol, just soap and water.
    They also recommend against using too much water under the film and NOT to slide it into position because it won't stick as well.
    I guessing that it has to do with the type of adhesive they are using.

They say in the instructions to lightly lay the film in position and if the film is out of alignment to gently lift it back off and re-lay it.

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Yep, must be different adhesives. My "positioning spray" had some % of isopropyl and water, plus once mine 'stuck' it wasn't coming up without stretching. I actually found a YouTube vid on doing this and tried to 'refind' it for Malvek (or others) but couldn't. In that one, he's spraying like a fireman before he lays it down.

Definitely different adhesives and a good thing to watch out for.

NOTE: After your posts on the thicker material, I found mine was 8mm which is fine for abrasions, but if anyone wants the 512TR set from me, as a good faith measure, I'll DOUBLE the thickness and send two. Same price of $49 for the 'doubled up' set. I laid mine on double and it worked fine.

PM me and I'll take care of it.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #15 Melvok, May 22, 2009
  16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    One of the low beam lenses on my BMW is shattered. I just covered it with the 3M , 5mil clear and it works great.