Kudo's to Groits | FerrariChat

Kudo's to Groits

Discussion in '348/355' started by mj_duell, May 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 mj_duell, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was bored a few days ago and decided to clean my dirty and dusty engine bay. I have read many posts here about how to do it without spraying the engine, but I decided to try it anyway ;). First I used aluminum foil to tightly cover every electrical connection I could find, then I used tied doubled up plastic grocery bags to cover the ignition parts and other larger items. The covering process was done carefully and took almost an hour to do. This was smart because I decided to use the dreaded pressure washer for the job. I sprayed the entire engine down with Griots engine cleaner and let it sit. The engine was warm, not hot. I had started it up and let it idle before covering the connectors so it had about an hour to reach what I think was a good temperature. I used the pressure washer very, very carefully and kept a full size terry cloth towel with me in case I sprayed something I didn't want to get wet. I was amazed with the cleaning job when I was done and must give Griots a solid plug for a good product. I had purchased the Engine Detailing Kit so I proceeded to spray the engine parts with the dressing, again very carefully. Some parts I simply wiped off because I didn't want them to be too shiny, others I left fully covered. I am very happy with the results. She won't win any show trophies, but the engine is 10 times better looking than it was. I started the car up three times in the last two days and have not had an issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think it is Griot's...

But it looks great either way!

3. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dang! Your right. Brain fart. ;)

4. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Looks great. Excellent work.

Nothing quite like knowing its clean. ;)

5. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    stunning, great work.

6. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    nice work. Did you refoil the front of the engine cover?

7. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    The only thing I would caution you on is if you used the "Engine Shine" product Griot's sells. It's in the aerosol spray can. I used it on my NSX and had some real problems. It looks great for about 3 months and then starts to haze. If you try to clean it it just gets worse. When I tried to pressure wash it, it just got even worse. I simply couldn't get it off. The only thing you can do it use more Engine Shine and then it looks great again but you just can't get the stuff off once it's on. It's kind of like being a crack baby except your addiction is Griot's Engine Shine.

Don't get me wrong, I love Griot's products but learned my lesson with that particular stuff. What I use now is their Undercarriage Spray on the engine. It is thicker than most sprays. You spray down the engine then wipe off the excess. It looks great and lasts for quite a while. The important thing is that you can get it off again when you clean the engine.

8. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    Honestly, Simple Green and a hose nozzle works wonders on a dirty engine bay. Armor All and towels for the rest of it. Zymol protectant looks killer on hoses, too.

9. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    +1 I also use on all my black hoses in the engine tire foam spray, just spray on and leave it makes the engine bay look awesome.

10. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, Did that last March. I used DEI Aluminum Heat Shield. It's got a diamond pattern and it's faily thick and good to 1700 degrees.

--Mike

11. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have never tried Zymol protectant but I think I will get a bottle.

--Mike

12. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Really? Man I hope not. I'll see what happens, maybe I will try new stuff in a few months. If all else fails I guess I can become a crack baby ;).

--Mike

13. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    It dries to a half-gloss finish that looks great. Looks nice on tires, but washes off quite a bit after a rainstorm.

14. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    it looks awesome ............ great job!!!!!

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Sign on side of freeway........Will work for Engine Shine.......

Man, I'm sick, real sick, ya know? If I could jess git some shine, ya know? Let me see the doctor! ;)

16. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I am glad to hear you had success with Griots engine shine. I did not. I found that it was too harsh and dulled all of the painted surfaces, and it look like it started to corrode aluminum parts. I never even finished the bottle before throwing it out.

17. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That stuff is great, I even use it on the rubber webbing on our patio furniture every spring.

18. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Mike, your results look great. I'm a huge fan of ALL griot's products. I also live near thier facility here in WA state so I can go down and bs with Richard himself. I use nearly all thier car care products and my next purchase will be garage floor epoxy.