Star trek!!! *** spoilers *** | FerrariChat

Star trek!!! *** spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 3604u, May 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Just watched Star Trek at some movie premier in Singapore and I think it was an excellent movie,

Anyone else watched it?

and which movie do you think is better, X-Men or Star Trek

I liked X-Men a bit better than star trek..

2. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mr Ed is my choice

3. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    I'm worried about star trek if you liked X men better. I thought X men was 'eh' at best :(

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I am waiting for the sequel to "Beavis and Butthead do America" :D:D

5. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Well. I am a fan of the comic.. so I guess I woud deff say X-Men is good....

Star Trex is good, and my pals who loved the tv series etc.. simply loved the movie.. so really.. its individual choice.

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Ever see the Andromeda galaxy? And that’s just the one easiest to find & see w/ binoculars.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It was good, despite some overacting & a couple of plot holes. I might go see it again but at an IMAX theatre.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    True to the original ;)

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    As a trekkie I had some problems, but I did really enjoy the flik! Going to go see it again on Sunday!

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    rottentomatoes.com has a 96% "Fresh" rating (195 good, 9 bad out of 204). That almost never happens.

People mag gives 4 stars out of 4.

Trek fan here since '72 TV syndication began for original series, seen most of the movies.

This one's a must-see on AMC bigscreen.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    :)

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #13 ryalex, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Yeah, I felt that there was a bit of the plot that was mashed together - and almost Deus ex machina-like at times how a certain character kept appearing to save things. Visually it was stunning, although the constant lens flares and CGI light shine on the Bridge of the Enterprise was getting tiring and annoying. Lastly, Eric Bana was just not scary as a bad guy.

That said, good popcorn movie to enjoy for 90 minutes.

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I went in with so so expectations after seeing the previews and after walking out I thought it was a great movie, definitely better than xmen. I'll probably end up seeing it again.

15. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I enjoyed the movie, but the shaky camera during the fight scenes drives me nuts. Also, the "gotta fit the catch phrase in" moments were a little cheesy. The ship battle scenes reminded me of Serenity (Firefly), which I enjoyed. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

****mild vague spoiler****
    The part that bothered me most was when they destroyed a certain large object on the 2nd planet...why didn't they do that at the first planet!?!

16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello saw the movie last night and Loved it. The actors were true to the orginal TV show and Id see it again. Poor Kirk gets beat up a lot though. Thanks Norm

17. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #17 SRT Mike, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    *spoilers*

It was decent, not great... definitely worthwhile seeing it, but don't go expecting a masterpiece, because it just isn't.

Too many attempts to cute-ly tie the new movie to the old series. Really, they should have ended the movie after they defeated the enemy ship @ earth. The ending scenes were bad, *especially* where Spock meets himself... too cutesy and eye-rolling'ly lame.

I'm not someone who is a stickler for adherence to the "trek universe", but the storyline stretched the boundaries of belivability a few too many times...

-So Vulcan was destroyed and Spock's mom was killed... errr... that's weird considering she was in later movies and shows

-Spock is "exiled" on the ice planet so he can watch Vulcan be destroyed, and never though to walk 14km to the starfleet base until Kirk arrived?

-On an entire planet, Kirk happens to land a short distance from the cave that spock went to when he was exiled there? Uhhh, ok... sorry, not believable. Should have had Spock know Kirk would be there, since he was from the future, or something.

-Jim goads Spock into kicking his ass, then takes over the ship, Spock is a-OK with this and happily comes back as 1st officer? Uhhh ok

-Spock says he was on a mission to save Romulus from a black hole "but the unthinkable happened" and the black hole consumed the planet. Uhhh, OK, so what did he set his alarm clock late and forget to leave on time for the mission? Coulda explained that one a tad better

-Red matter? Never heard of that before... stuff that creates a giant black hole whenever it is hit by weapons. Ummm yeah.

-Uhura and Spock were a couple? uhhhh, ok.

-Spock says Jim should have known his father and the timeline they were in was wrong. But it was never corrected. So I guess this opens up the story for the next film in the series. All very well and good, except it then means that all the stuff that happened in the first one.... didn't happen. Great.

It was sort of like how in Star Wars they had to make Anakin the creator of C3P0 and create all these little interwoven plot items that were really not necessary... just make a great storyline and the movie will be good. Waaay too many movies that are real thin on storyline nowadays.

Oh, and I could have done without the 30 minutes of previews (no joke). It was ridiculous.... Transformers 2 looks like it's going to suck as bad as the first one - pity.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Well, that kills it for me. Star Trek really overdoes the whole time travel/alternate timeline shtick.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

The characters/script flat out said that the whole universe was changed from what would have been (has been/will be from our perspective) when the Romulan ship came through and destroyed the Kelvin. So yeah -- nothing we know as canon is correct anymore.

I'm actually ok with that, time to reset anyway.

My issue? A ship of the line, flagship as a matter of fact, and an Ensign takes command? Nope, some section chief would throw his rear back off the ship.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Our Heros didn't have access to that which they destroyed the large object until the second planet. Remember the technology ages involved.

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    And to complete this Big Tex-like trifecta: I dug this flick. Best of the set so far.

22. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #22 SRT Mike, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    The storyline was really thin... *really* thin.

Way too many plot holes and inconsitencies.

It was just like Transformers 2 or the recent XMen movies... great special effects, but the storyline let it down. It's like they get a bunch of CGI and action movie director guys together and they talk about how there will be this really cool explosion and lasers and guns and, and, and... but then the story is just something they add on at the end to fill the gaps between the super mega awesome action sequences.

The casting was pretty good overall - except the Romulans (who now look like Darth Maul from Star Wars with tattooed faces), and the acting was pretty good, especially the guy that played Jim Kirk, he nailed the voice and mannerisms to a "T".

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You're joking.

Better than Wrath of Khan? WoK is considered one of the best sci-fi movies of all time - along with ones like Blade Runner, Dune, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix, Aliens.

You'd put this one above Wrath of Khan? Not just no, but hell no!

24. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    There was so, so many issues with the plot.

Firstly, on departing from the canon of the ST universe - I don't have a huge problem with that, except it was sort of like the "well, a wizard did it" justification for the whole story. It's one thing to depart from the existing canon, but another to do so in a prequel which then pretty much renders the entire rest of the ST universe to be null and void.

Agree with you on the unbelievability of the ensign taking command. Equally crazy that Pike finds Kirk as a stowaway on his ship, then makes him first officer. LOL OK!

Spock goes fails to stop the supernova because... well, they never say why (uhh ok), but he does create a black hole that he goes into... complete with his full payload of "red matter". Ok, so what made the black hole if he still has the red matter? And what, was the Romulan ship waiting to shoot him down if he failed? It's not like they came after him 2 years later, it was about 30 seconds after he failed. Then they decide to destroy Vulcan for payback (uhh, ok), and every federation planet too (LOL ok).

Those are in addition to the ones I mentioned before.

I think that a great story has to be the cornerstone of a great movie. There are excellent SCiFi movies with very little special effects (like the original Terminator, and Day the Earth Stood Still, Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind). Then there are fantastic SciFi movies that are loaded with CGI and special effects - like Blade Runner, T2, Aliens, Star Wars: ESB, 2001, The Matrix.

I don't get why they spend millions on these movies and leave one of the most basic and fundamantal parts of a great movie hanging. It's like they feel it's easier to just rely on a lot of explosions and CGI and super-duper trailers to get people into the theatre. Aren't there any artists in Hollywood anymore who want to make a truly great movie?

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Watching it now.

I'm not a Trekkie, but some things need to be left alone. Destroying Vulcan is just canon fodder.

I guess it sets them up for the next movie: Star Trek 2: The Search for Spock's Kin.

So far, story gets C-. Totally like the new crew though.