Ernie McAfee and serial#0546LM | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ernie McAfee and serial#0546LM

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Mikey P, Mar 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Ascari was killed in a 750 Monza, that was later re-engined as a 500 Mondial. Similar body, but different engines, etc.

-Jarrett

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So is the car in question (this thread) even more powerful as it is a v12? Is a 750 Monza a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?

Pete

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The 121 LM is a 4.4 liter inline 6. This is the same capacity as a 365 V12. For its time of 1955 it was a monster of a motor.

Monza and Mondial are inline 4.

Jeff

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    One can think of the 121LM engine as a 750 Monza with 2 cylinders added. The problem was reportedly excessive flex due to the length, causing crankshaft difficulies.

5. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Anyone have a pics from Le Mans or the Mille Miglia?

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
  7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Rich,
    sorry but I oversaw your request. Will send you the feature tomorrow.

Ciao!
    Walter

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I know you know this, Jarret, but for everyone else,it was 0562M.

there is speculation that the factory was testing a newer motor in 0562 the day Ascari died in it - possibly a precursor to the tipo 129 (860 Monza). Why would a factory team driver (Castellotti) be testing a run-of-the-mill 750 - the factory had been running 750s for quite awhile by that point - that hadn't even been painted yet.

back on track w/ McAfee . . .

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll check my book and maybe scan the photo of the car post accident ...

Pete

10. Mikey P

Mikey P Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    San Ramon, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Ponte
    Not sure if we've answered the question if #0546LM was ever re-bodied due to the extensive damage from the accident..

11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    There apparently was extensive sheet metal work but a new body was not constructed. Anyone who has a chance to come in contact with the car should ask the owner to see the scribed in statement from the man who restored it under the door edge. (door comes off its hinge pins in a matter of seconds.) There is a very nice statement about the car, his repairs to it and McAfee himself as I recall.

Cheers,

Bill

Bob Merlin likes this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a slow process...I have his Ferrari necktie and the 1977 Daytona Pit Pass...LOL!

Back to the thread...sorry....

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, you just found the Right Place.........these folks posting are some of the most well informed experts of the planet.

...except me of course I just hang out and listen...:D :D :D :D..you are in luck though, as many photographer's work of the day has become highly valued and preserved..Klementaski Collection, Jesse Alexander, Peter Coltrin...you have searched those archives??

HTH. Your welcome anytime to browse my books.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Who did the restoration/resurection? I know it was Chris Cord that had it done.

Jeff

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...done!

Ciao!
    Walter

16. thinkdvds

thinkdvds Rookie

May 24, 2009
    Hi Bill,

I'd be grateful if you could tell us the address of the memorial placard for the Ernie McAfee on Forest Lake Rd. or maybe Portola Rd? I would love to pay a visit to the spot next time I am in Pebble Beach.

Many thanks-

Pebble Beach Fan

17. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I do not know the address. It is not so hard to find. It is on a pine tree across from one of the last houses on the right as you approach the Equestrian Center heading north and right after the road splits. The owners of the house let their children rent out the yard on Sunday during the concours for people to park their cars. There are usually some dried flowers, sometimes fresh flowers at the base of the tree.

If you have an I Phone, the Map Function might be easy to use to find it.

If I can find it myself, I will see if I can pull up an address or map coordinate.

Cheers,

Bill

18. RoadHazard

RoadHazard Rookie

Jun 17, 2009
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Not to be too macabre, but where exactly is the tree/placard? I went looking for it today and couldn't find anything.

My understanding was that the crash occurred at Turn 6, which I believe is the present-day Forest Lake Road where it turns sharply right onto Portola Road. (There's a stop sign and a small traffic island there now.) Looking around at all the many trees at that intersection, I couldn't find anything. Any hints where I should look, or how high up?

Thanks in advance.

19. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
  20. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    That's Ernie in 0546LM at Santa Barbara 1956. Very nice collection of photos it is. In another photo Ernie is seen in the 750 Monza 0502M at Hansen Dam 1955. Also there are photos of 0004M at San Diego July 1956 with Bob Drake finishing 1st in class, 0350AM at Torrey Pines with Bamford as well as Collins in 0372AM, the 750 Monza 0492M with no211 of Hill/Von Neumann and Shelby in 0268AM. At Pomona 1956 is the 500 Mondial 0438MD of Von Neumann. The same car again with Von Neumann is seen at the start of the Santa Barbara race in September 1956.

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Hi Boudewijn. Car n°20c with Carroll Shelby is #0286AM. This is one of my favorite sites. Many nice and interesting photos. I think it was fun to see the races in those days.

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Sorry, tipo error.

23. Bob Merlin

Bob Merlin Rookie

Apr 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bob Plass
    Bob Carol(l) did the original "repair" work on the car back in the late 50's. My father and I were at his house about something when he showed it to us. He did a fantastic job. Bob Carol was another magician with aluminum like Willy Sutton.

375+ likes this.
  24. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Wow, a nine year answer!!

wbaeumer and 375+ like this.