308 GTB SPEEDO | FerrariChat

308 GTB SPEEDO

Discussion in '308/328' started by 360C, May 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 360C, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am looking for a speedo for my 1977 308 GTB. It's an Australian spec car, so it's in km's. In theory I could use the parts from any 1976-1978 308 GTB/S speedo to repair mine. I have looked on the net; but have so far been unsuccessful. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Sorry not clear : do you need random parts or a fully working miles speedo or just a miles plate ?

3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

In an ideal world I would love to find a complete functioning speedo for an Australian 308 as per the photo. In the real world they would seem to be unobtainable. In light of that, I am looking for a speedo of any spec mph/km as long as it is from a 1976-1978 308 GTB/S. I can then use the parts from it to repair the speedo in my car.

It's a long story; but I sent my instruments away to have the globes replaced and the faces cleaned. The odometer also didn't work. The speedo wasn't able to be repaired.

4. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Unless you are in a big hurry I would keep an eye on ebay. I've seen these on ebay a couple of times in the last 12 months or so that are "reported" to be fully functionable. J

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    a brand new 328 speedo just sold on ebay for $500.I'm sure the guts could have been transferred over

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A friend has what we think is an 85 mph US speedo with a 180 mph & kph dial - chrome ring is graunched but unit is believed to work - pm for more detail - include email for photos

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The instruments are apart at the moment and we have replaced or got working all except the speedo. Some functions of the speedo work; but the resettable odometer doesn't. It would be nice to get it all fixed in one hit rather than put it back in, hunt around for parts for ages and then pull it apart again to fix the speedo.

Re 328 speedo's- the speedo is quite different to an early 308. My car is a late production fibreglass car and has some differences to an early glass GTB or later steel GTB's. Makes it difficult to get the right thing.

8. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Have it rebuilt here in the States by Mo-Ma in New Mexico. A couple of hundred US max IIRC. They do a fantastic job.

9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I wouldn't risk sending it OS. It is rather unique and if it gets lost I am really in trouble! I can get it rebuilt locally if I can get a second hand unit of any spec 1976 through 1978 to use for parts.

10. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    328 sender won't match. Your sender is mounted on the top of the transaxle (looks like a chess piece) the 328 is mounted on the bottom. From what I understand their signals are different must be matched to the to the speedometer.

Stephen

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Quite correct. The problem is with my speedo unit itself. Hopefully I will find something to use as spares to repair mine.

12. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
  13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a deal put together on a US version from a guy in europe that had pulled it to put in a khm unit......man......I'll have to go thru three years of emails but it MAY still be in there.....

Or post in the Eurpoe Section..it was pricey but it was fully functioning when he pulled it..

Man it's hell to be old I can almost recall the name......Netherlands maybe, Holland.......one of those countries..

Alan

I need to post a picture of one of mine, while period correct..it has BOTH ranges MPH and KPM dual scaled on it....very strange.
    I think it was a "All Markets" replacement of some sort..you are correct of course about the early/late sender issue...

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Our Group 4 project in Denmark.......I'm bargaining with him on a bumper and the clock......it's a US car......

16. prova4re

prova4re Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    I have 3 or 4 of them kicking around, most from 84 and 85 QVS.
    Just put your old face on it and you should be good to go.
    I think the only one that works is mounted on my kids bike, I will ask him if he will swap it out with the MPH speedo.

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Alan, you really are the man for all things 308 :)

I have seen several 308 speedo's with the dual kmh/mph markings in my travels. What is the Group 4 308 project that you are doing BTW?

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do you have any pics of the front and back of them? I am surprised how many variations there are out there.

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #19 thecarreaper, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. prova4re

prova4re Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    #20 prova4re, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's another thread in this Section about the Group 4 reproduction, but he is using a North American version as it's starting point..

Man, I'm busy at work will try to find info for ya!..

Thanks!

You have a beautiful car....

22. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey..Just a thought. While you have it out be sure and do the bulb upgrade if you haven't already. J

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ok i replied to (all!) the pms i received.

24. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks Alan. I remember seeing something about that a long time ago on here. No updates for a while though.

My 308 is the favourite in my collection. It would be the last thing I would ever sell :)

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That's where all this started. I sent them away to be cleaned and the globes replaced and they sent them back with bad news.