F355 Horn | FerrariChat

F355 Horn

Discussion in '348/355' started by eyboro, May 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Any idea how the service or replace the horn on an F355? I checked the relay and replaced the fuse and still not working. Instructions with pictures will be real help.

Thank you

2. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    You should check the horn,cause sometimes water get inside the little motor.

3. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    #3 eyboro, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    Where is the location of the horn compressor on 355 Spider?

4. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    Mine isnt a Spyder but it have the compressor on the left side fender.

5. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I would realy appreciate it if someone can point the horn compressor location on an F355 Spider. The book shows it on the driver side by the window washer tank, but I don't think it's there.

6. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #6 355, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    It should be in the space in front of your left front wheel. Pull your wheel off and then unscrew the plate. It is very easy to fix. Usually the air compressor will sieze up. You have to take it and the horn out by unbolting it. Once out you can replace the compressor with another of similar diameter so that it will fit in the same clamp. If you find another compressor that is smaller then you will have to fill the void. If you are a little inclined then you can take apart the compressor and clean and lube the pivot area of the motor and do an overall cleanup untill it spins freely. Its an easy fix.

7. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    #7 eyboro, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Thank you, I didn't know I had to pull my wheel off, I will try that this weekend.

8. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    #8 leorosa, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I removed the wheel and the cover; no compressor there, any other ideas?

10. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    So your saying that you removed the metal cover in front of your front left wheel and it was not there? No wonder its not working.;). Well on the ones ive seen that is where it is.

11. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I found the compressor on the right side behind the cd changer, I took it apart and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I'm going to order a new one since I can't get it work. They are not that expensive I see them advertised for about $35.

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Make sure that you are getting power to the compressor before replacing it. You can also take the compressor out and run 12 volts directly to it to see if it works. If it is blowing air then the compressor is not the problem.

13. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I used your idea of taking the compressor out and running 12 volts directly and I used 12v from the cigarette lighter; still not working. Thank you for the idea, I didn't think of that, I'm now convinced the compressor is bad, I ordered a new one for $37 including shipping.

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Don't want to confuse you if you're not mechanically inclined, but:

1) Are you sure that you hooked up to a good, functional 12v power source at the lighter? Does it make a difference whether or not the key is on?

2) Did you have the body of the horn compressor grounded when you hooked up 12v power to it? It won't work if it isn't grounded.

3) Did you get a "click" or a spark or anything when you hooked up power to the compressor? If you didn't get ANYTHING, then I suspect that you didn't get a good test.

15. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Just received my new Fiamm horn kit, installed the compressor only, fired it up and it works Ya... A $35 fix. The dealer wanted $200 for parts and $180 for labor.

The hardest part for me was finding the compressor. I guess Ferrari installs these horns on various places in the F355, go figure.