Mauro Forghieri interview | FerrariChat

Mauro Forghieri interview

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ed Niles, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The new Ferrari Market Letter has an absolutely fabulous interview by our own Marc Sonnery. For anyone who shares my fascination with that period of Ferrari's racing history, it is not to be missed!

2. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Is this online or syndicated anywhere?

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Ed: thank you very much for your kind words! Just got back from Maranello last night, was talking about this interview with some friends in Modena: it took place in September 2007 but due to Gerald Roush and yours truly being busy with a number of other things part one has only come out now...so someone said ah you have aged it like balsamico:)

I hope it brings some enjoyment and perspective of how things were then.

best regards,

Marc

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How's he doing? What happened with his new project?

Best

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    -Richard:

You have to subscribe online or for the paper edition; go to:

www.ferrarimarketletter.com

Jim: Ing. Forghieri as far as I could see was busy with his companw Oral engineering where I interviewed him in his office: there were half a dozen employees to be seen; we discussed what he did now only briefly as there was soooooo much to cover with his career. He does have a website which gives you an idea of what the company does.

He is very respected in Italy where he occasionally was a consultant just after a GP on Rai 1 and the boisterous show audience would be perfectly quiet when he offered his views...

best regards,

Marc

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Look forward to reading the article!

Best

7. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #7 246tasman, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    What a brilliant article/interview!

I think it casts fresh light on quite a few areas. Not least for me was the revelation that the 275GTB 2 & 4 cams were the last road cars worked on in the racing department (GES).

Thanks Marc!

Oh, and it says 'to be continued....' When? Next month I hope...

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello and glad you enjoyed it: Gerald has all 10000 words of it so I assume he will put it in the next issue: we spoke a few minutes at the auction but I did not specifically ask.

best regards,

Marc

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Marc,

Nicely done! Are there discussions that did not make your final version?

Jeff

10. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Fantastic interview!! I can't wait for the rest

It's amazing how Ferrari was able to compete and be involved in all of the different racing venues at the time and still be competitive in all of them considering their operating budget. I have even more appreciation for the Ferrari marque after this.

Thank you Mr. Sonnery

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Jef: thanks. No it is all there, I don't recall deleting anything: I was in the middle of doing dozens of interview for a book and developped the method of just cleaning up the flow of the text without changing the nature of what is being said.

Ing. Forghieri was very loyal to Ferrari in the interview and just as he did not wish to delve much if at all into the palace revolution, in part 2 the question of why René Arnoux was fired early in the season was not met with an answer either.

best regards,

Marc

12. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Marc,
    Is anyone planning on doing a book about him, or does he have a set of memoirs that may be published? His information is probably some of the most valuable to historians of any of those left alive.

George

13. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I absolutely agree. The sad thing is that most Ferrari fans won't even know who we are talking about. Great article and I can't wait for part 2. I already sent an email to Gerald.
    Thanks Marc, Gerald and Mauro.
    Nathan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    There is already a book about Forghieri - "Mauro Forghieri; 30 Anni di Ferrari e Oltre" - but it's only in Italian. Would anyone buy an english version? - maybe we can ask the publisher.
    Nathan

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #15 Nembo1777, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Well....since I am knee deep in books and can't wait to see the first one actually in my hands -Nathan you know how that feels, I don't yet!- I would be a poker player if I did not admit to having thought about it.

The problem is that the only way to do it properly would be to have a long breakfast with him at the place and time of his convenience every morning for months: he is a workaholic and is the type to work till he drops.

Also does he have the desire? That is far from certain: when I said that I would send him copies of the article as soon as it came out he had an odd answer: "Oh I am not curious" meaning he did not really care about seing it, which may well point to the Ingegnere being sick and tired of anything in print about him since he took so much abuse from the Italain press when things went wrong...

He also was very annoyed at one Italian author (who shall remain nameless) whom he felt used him and never "sent the elevator back".

How good a book was that Italian one Nathan? I never saw that one anywhere. As you know Italian publishing can go from the highest standards to potboilers meant for the least educated sort of Tifoso...

best regards,

Marc

16. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Marc
    Regrettably I don't know how good it is as I don't read Italian. It seems quite good - 238pp + 24 pp of photos. I would like to see an English version. Maybe we should email the publisher - [email protected]
    Nathan

17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Any possibilty that this interview will be be put up on the web after a time, so that those of us not in the US can also read it?

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #18 Nembo1777, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009

Thanks Nathan, will investigate, will also ask Forghieri what he thinks of that book: have to talk to him in the next few days.

Jacques: there is no possibility of it being free on the internet anytime soon sorry: as Nathan will confiirm it is hard enough to earn a living as a scribe without illegal downloads: I have already had to go after people twice and that would be the end of quality work which is what I strive (and hope) to achieve. You can go to the website of the Ferrari Market Letter and subscribe.

Did Jack give you the message on that car we were discussing some weeks ago?

best regards,

Marc

19. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Marc
    I would be interested to hear what he says.
    Too true! And most people don't appreciate just how much time and effort it takes to write an article, let alone a book.
    Nathan

20. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Marc,
    Thank you for the reply.

George

21. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    #21 Lars Theunissen, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually I just purchased this book last Saturday at the Galleria Ferrari in Maranello. Price was just 20 Euros (about 25 USD?).

I took a pic of it a few minutes ago, here it is:

Ciao,

Lars T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Do you mean to say it is hard enough to earn a living as a scribe WITH illegal downloads?

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wonderful Interview!!

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks all: apparently the book came out just last year, after I interviewed l'ingegnere: I might well order a copy to see how good it is.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actually Richard I meant it is hard enough as it is without the ADDITIONAL adverse effect of illegal downloads.

As Nathan alluded to it is molto work: an hour of audio interview is 10 hours of transcription, which I for one do directly into English unless I plan to publish the interview in the initial language. Many interviewees are not at all easy to transcribe due to the way they express themselves, then of course you have to translate absolutely accurately bearing in mind cultural differences, nuances, all sorts of factors....

For one book for example I did 120000 words of interview transcription of several dozen people: it took several months in 2007-2008.

best regards,

Marc