What is Ferrari's real color? | FerrariChat

What is Ferrari's real color?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RossaCorsa, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossaCorsa

RossaCorsa Rookie

May 22, 2009
    #1 RossaCorsa, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    I bet with a friend of mine. The question is: What is the original/traditional color of Ferrari?

Is it red (rosso corsa) or yellow (giallo) ?

Please answer my question. If u could get resorces, I will be very happy.

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
  3. RossaCorsa

RossaCorsa Rookie

May 22, 2009
    #3 RossaCorsa, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Nice joke:)

Please answer me because it is very important for us. What is the original color, red or yellow?

4. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Red is the traditional Grand Prix/ Formula 1 Race car color for Italy. Yellow represents the color for Modena, Italy here Enzo started his business.

bertha01, MalcQV and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  5. RossaCorsa

RossaCorsa Rookie

May 22, 2009
    So, can we say yellow is the traditional color of Ferrari?

I knew that yellow represents Modena, but does it represent Ferrari?

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I would say red, but NOT Rosso Corsa. The Scuderia Ferrari Alfa Romeos and the early Ferraris were a darker red, close to the color now known as Rosso Barchetta. I think that Rosso Corsa became the color of choice in the early 50's.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I've never seen a pic of an early Ferrari racer in yellow. Anyone?

MalcQV likes this.
  8. Otter

Otter Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Franklin,NC
    Full Name:
    Eric
    RED Grab ANY Ferrari book and count the number of reds to any other color Otter

red on the head like a d_ck on a dog!!!

9. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Red might be the most sold color, doesn't make it official or whatever.

There is not "real" color for ferrari road cars.

Red is only the italian traditional motorsport color, like the green for UK.

LVP488 likes this.
  10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Team Cars no.

Customer Race Cars? Yes.

Official Show cars?

Yes.

The First car badged as a Ferrari was Red.

11. RossaCorsa

RossaCorsa Rookie

May 22, 2009
    I knew that Ferrari's traditional color is red, but a group of friend of mine insists on yellow.

Can you give me a resource about traditional color of Ferrari's?

12. RossaCorsa

RossaCorsa Rookie

May 22, 2009
    I mean traditional, real is the wrong word, u r right.

I read an article long time ago and the author said that yellow is the official color of Lambo and red is the official color of Ferrari.

Is that true?

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #13 El Wayne, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, that is NOT true.

The first cars that Scuderia Ferrari raced were red (they were Alfa Romeos, actually) simply because red was the traditional racing color of Italy. When he built and raced his own cars, they were red for the same reason. Cars sold to racing customers were whatever color that customer wanted them to be, sometimes sticking with the traditional national racing colors (yellow for Belgium, green for the UK, etc.), sometimes not. When Ferrari began producing road cars in the late 1940s and well into the late 1960s, they were painted a variety of colors and NOT predominantly red. Red became the color of choice for Ferrari buyers in the 1970s. Of course, red is still the team colors of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 racing team but yellow is the color of the company's logo - representing the town of Modena, as someone else noted.

The first Lamborghini was blue:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalcQV likes this.
  14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    If you want to know Ferrari's traditional, original color choice, then Jim Pernikoff has your answer:

Before any Ferrari was liveried in Rosso Corsa, they were lightly covered in a dark red. As has already been mentioned, yellow is the color of the city of Modena, where Ferrari first started, so that is why Giallo Modena is a popular color among contemporary models.

16. Solobagpiper

Solobagpiper Karting

May 6, 2009
    Piedmont, California
    Full Name:
    Mark Frost
    At the factory they say that the original racing color for Ferrari is represented by their current Rosso Barchetta.

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    James has spoken! :cool:

18. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Not untill the Francochamp days.

Back in the day it had nothing to do with the manufacturer, it had everything to do with the country of origin.

Italy = Red (not Rosso Corsa )
    France= Blue (that is why Bugati's of old were blue. They were built in France not Italy. Untill the resurgerance in the 80's)
    England = crappy green. LOL. I like green but the british racing green is horrible.
    Belgium=Yellow
    US= white (but then became a blue but darker than frances' blue, hence NART cars. Ferrari's but they were mostly blue. Sometimes white, sometimes white and blue. )

So the color for Ferrari is red due to the fact that first and foremost Ferrari is a racing company. Since it is an Italian racing company it is red. The red was not Rosso Corsa as it is today but a much darker red. A red I like. It was in the 50's that Ferrari changed it to Rosso Corsa because on a color TV the car looks almost orange so it stands out from other cars.

So to fine tune the answer the REAL color of Ferrari is Rosso Corsa as this was unique to Ferrari since color TV days.

I hope that helps. Unfortuneatly I do not have links to sources.

MalcQV and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  19. cristiano

cristiano Rookie
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    Nice to meet you again.Is it red (rosso corsa) or yellow (giallo)?

20. FerrariEnzoChicago

May 9, 2009
    There is no official color but they say the yellow showed in the prancing horse emblem could be considered Ferrari's official color since it symbolizes the town of Modena, Italy.

Ballvice likes this.
  21. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There is no true "official" color, because Ferraris were intended to be race cars, therefore the colors would always indicate the nationality of the car's ownership (rather than the driver or marque.)

Here is the list of traditional colors, although one must remember that since the 1950s, teams have been choosing their own colors to differentiate themselves from local competitors, such as BMC (Austin Mini, MG, Healey) choosing Tartan Red instead of British Racing Green (Jaguar, Triumph...) And there are countries which have adopted different colors, like German manufacturers, which all race in Silver now -- a tradition since the triumph of the Silver Arrows. Since after WWII, American teams have raced in any of the red, white and blue schemes.

Additionally, companies played with shades of the traditional color to stick out (and modernize). Aston Martin has been Apple Green since the David Brown era, while as many have pointed out, the original darker red of Alfa and Ferrari morphed into a brighter red as louder paint colors started being stylish in the 1950s and 1960s.

[blockquote]
    Code Country Body Bonnet Other Colours Numbers
    A Austria Blue Black on white
    ARG Argentina Blue Yellow Chassis: Black Red on white
    AUS Australia Green Gold Blue Black
    B Belgium Yellow Black
    BR Brazil Pale yellow Chassis/Wheels: Green Black
    BUL Bulgaria Green White Red on white
    C Cuba Yellow Black Black on white
    CDN Canada Traditional colours are white and green parallel stripes After the Canadian flag was changed in 1965 Red with wide lengthwise white stripes became popular Black
    CH Switzerland Red White Black
    CS Czech Republic White Blue/white Underframe: Red Blue
    D Germany White bare metal (aluminium, "Silver Arrows") Red
    DK Denmark Silver-grey National flag as a lengthwise stripe on bonnet Red on white
    E Spain Red Yellow Chassis/Springs: Red Black on yellow or white on red
    ET Egypt Pale violet Red on white
    F France Blue White
    FIN Finland White Two blue stripes on bonnet shaping a Latin cross Black on white
    GB United Kingdom Green Scottish entrant Rob Walker used dark blue with a white noseband and Ecurie Ecosse also used dark blue; the Arrol Johnston team pre-World War 1 used navy tartan White
    GR Greece Pale Blue Two white lengthwise stripes on bonnet Black on white
    H Hungary Front: White
    Rear: Green Red Black
    HJK Jordan Brown Black on white
    I Italy Red White
    IRL Ireland Green Horizontal band of orange all around White
    J Japan Ivory White Red disk on bonnet White on black
    L Luxembourg Tricolor lengthwise stripe (red/white/blue) from front to rear Black on white
    MAS Malaysia Yellow White Black on white/Black
    MC Monaco White Red lateral stripe around car Black on white
    MEX Mexico Gold Different designs in royal blue (Not strictly an X on the bonnet) Black on white (not red on white)
    NL Netherlands Orange White
    NZ New Zealand Green and silver Black and silver[4]
    PHI Philippines Red and Blue yellow
    P Portugal Red Underframe: White White
    PL Poland White Underframe: Red Red on white
    RCH Chile Red Blue Underframe: White Blue/red or red on white
    S Sweden Blue bottom, yellow top, three cross bands of blue on top of bonnet White
    T Thailand Pale blue with yellow horizontal band around body and bonnet Wheels: Pale yellow White on blue
    U Uruguay Pale blue with large red band around the lower part of bonnet White on black
    USA United States White with blue lengthwise stripes Underframe: Blue Blue on white
    ZA South Africa Gold Green Black on yellow
    [/blockquote]

I'll end with my standard line about Switzerland: I'm surprised they even have national racing colors, because none of their cars ever qualified for any race due to technical reasons -- they couldn't get the transmissions out of neutral!

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #22 writerguy, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  23. goalsir

goalsir Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    This is 100% true, Ive heard and red it many places:

Rossa Corsa is the racng color for Italy (as white is for Germany and dark green is for Britain).

Gaillo is the official Ferrari color.

If I wanted to feel like I had the official color I would pick the Rossa.

-Ray

Ballvice likes this.
  24. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I've never heard of the official color but if you ask me it's red.

25. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Research it. Yellow was Ferrari’s “chosen” color. He didn’t pick red - Italy picked red.
    The color of his stable - and chosen stable was yellow - evidenced by the S F Yellow “badges” and later emblem of Ferrari.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.