Porsche Cayenne wouldn't start at gas station | FerrariChat

Porsche Cayenne wouldn't start at gas station

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by italiafan, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know guys...it's my wife's...trucks the kids around....I never dirve it.....:)

Strange thing happened.
    Drives great no problems.
    She gets gas and at the pump it won't start, but it is turning over fine, battery ok...no spark I guess.
    Jumped and starts.
    Take it to dealer they run codes, etc, have it overnight, always starts...send it out as "ok."
    Drive it for 300-400 miles over several weeks, sits a lot (becasue she's worried about getting stuck) and it is 100% ok...no problems.
    Goes in for the next tank of gas fill up, and exact same thing happens again!
    Guy at service station gets it to start by pumping th egas pedal as cranking the motor over, and it starts.
    Service station keeps car overnight...again no problems.

I seem to remember that when the car gets filled with gas it triggers some computer thing to calculate mileages and oil change intervals, etc....could the "signal" from getting gas be tripping something in the engine management system to prevent starting?

Thanks.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Sorry to hear.

Women are usually very intolerant of this stuff...... I see a new car on the horizon.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Buy a Chevy or a Ford truck. Don't buy a German truck. If there is one thing we Americans make well its these SUV thingies.

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    that's debatable...

5. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Try PorscheChat or something like that, I bet they have seen a lot more of those things than any of us has!

6. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would rather be on a tow truck sitting in a Cayenne than on the road in an American truck ;)

7. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    My wife has a Cayenne S and loves it. We got 65K on it over almost 5years. We've taken it across the country three times sometimes driving 10/12 hrs. a day. Have had zero problems with it. Shes ready for a new SUV and we are seriously considering buying another Cayenne. Just for something different she has talked about getting the big MB SUV diesel with that third bench. I personally don't care for it . To me it looks and feels like a bus. Doesn't win any beauty contests either.

8. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    I'm not sure about a Cayenne, but I've been in the the cab of a flat bed with my F-car on it, and I can tell you, I'd have much rather been on the road in my Ford truck. People were giving my F-car the "thumbs up" as they drove by though.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I've driven over 200k miles in 3 continents in 5 cayennes, off road, race track, turbos, gemballa's, currently driving a GTS 6-speed and quite frankly there is not a better all round car/truck IMO. under-appreciated perhaps but its capable of handling pretty much anything off-road, on-road, high speed (to 150, reasonably). ford, gm, lol, not even close

10. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    make sure the gas cap is tightly closed.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#11 Kds, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
    Pretty much all the Cayenne's out there have had a problem for the last couple of years in that the ignition coil packs that sit on top of the spark plugs have started failing prematurely and working intermittently. Ask your dealer to check this. It happened to me and a couple of clients.

12. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe

Further... there was a recall on the coil packs as this was an issue with my wife's Cayenne as well.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ok I opened the gas cap, closed it....and it started. Not just a cap and pressure thing....must be some electrical signal attached to the act of filling the tank? rennlist member mentioned there are 2 pumps use dependent upon fuel level.

This likely will end up being a PIA...but my wife (God bless her soul :)) is attached to the car....she feels that the car will feel "betrayed" by the family if we sell it...like a trusted dog taken out for a oneway drive intop the woods!

:)

14. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    glad it worked for you. pumps cannot build up enough pressure if cap is leaking air...

15. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Ya Mr. S...........the fuel pump is either a wet pump inside the tank immersed in fuel or a dry pump just after the fuel tank, between the tank and the injectors. Therefore, a cap leaking air or even a missing cap will have no effect on fuel pump pressure as long as there is fuel in the tank. You can have the engine running with an open fuel cap. In some cars there is a sensor built in the fuel cap or in the filler neck and if the cap is not closed properly until you hear the final "click", the engine won't start. Therefore, always make sure to hear the final "click" of the fuel cap when closing it.

16. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    there is no sensor on the fuel filler neck or cap therefore it must be some kind of mechanical issue when the cap is not on tight.

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just heard from dealership.....they found the problem. "Purge valve" in the gas tank was broken and they have now replaced it. They discovered it by testing fuel pressure at multiple different areas within the "nightmare-ish" plumbing within the tank and found the faulty part.