FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by zoRob, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    They are the glass bottle paints. I do have one color (gun metal) in the can that seems to work ok.

I haven't noticed much of a problem with the texture, but I haven't really been able to get a great finish, either. I'll have to try the Zero paints as well. Keep us posted on that 312, would be a fun one to build!

2. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Martin is right The only way to get a "BBR style" superb clearcoat is by using 2 pack automotive paint.
    Its exactly the way I used to build my 1:43 resinkits.

The 1:12 size resinkits are another piece of cake. I hardly ever use a clearcoat on them. If I do, my experience is that they are to shiny to be realistic!
    The only time I might clearcoat a large modell, is when there are huge areas of decals, just to protect them over the years.

For the large bodies, I mainly use automotive spraycans, and a Novus polishing-set, or my trusted micromesh polishingpaper.
    Racenumbercircles and striping are made using the airbrush.
    Besides the spraycan, I allways make sure to have a touchup-stick in the same color, to cover up any damnages.
    Before building I allways scribe the panellines, and use a darker color of bodypaint to create shadoweffect for realism.

If one decides to start airbrushing, exercise the possibilities, like building, your skills grow by experience.
    I am going to start with the "metal" allclad-paints on the next engine-project, Heard a lot of good stories, and it looks great!

I have learned a lot by looking at other models, study them, try to duplicate certain techniques, and practice makes perfect.
    Being busy running my business, I don't build very much, only 1 modell a year, the pace is slow, skills are not what they used to be, but the most important thing is the fun of finishing a good result!

a few sites....
    www.minidelta.be
    www.italianhorses.net
    www.suberfactory.com
    http://www.momofactory.com/tr58lmweb/tr58lmweb.htm
    http://community.webshots.com/user/miniscale
    www.miniwerks.com

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice work Dino Scud.. You should bring one of them to the Ferrari Expo next year. I like the Fisher 312P best.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd Revival model contest 2010-Chicago

4. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Thanks!

I know I'd like that show but I don't have much of a traveling desire.

5. XJR-15 RACER

XJR-15 RACER Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    Just got into fighter jet kits, got a F-14D Super Tomcat on my table these past couple of days. I decided to go for the 1:48 scale, the length of the Tomcat is going to be about 14" when I finish it. I saw a B-29 at the hobby store which had about a 2 1/2 foot wingspan, can`t wait to get that haha.

I was going to get some 1:18 aircraft to match my 1:18 car and bike collection but too limited of a selection and not enough space for me. This is pretty much my first real kit and it is coming along very nicely so far :D

6. Camoradi

Camoradi Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Peak District, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Barnett
    The whole 'grey' myth was started many years ago from the misinterpreting of some poor colour photo's, and has meant the wrong colour has been copied by many model makers, particularly as it is quite attractive. For some reason PM seem to have gone one better in calling it white! The truth of the matter is that the 'grey' colour should be very light blue, yes, light blue.

Steve

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    and the ' Mercedes Benz 717 Papyrusweiss ' from the PM instructions is exactly that. A blueish light grey.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

8. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Steve, thanks for clearing that, now that youre here... anything special in the making?
    I recently found a copy of a book called the best Ferrarimodels in the world, several of your pieces were pictured.
    In the same book, the work of Jacques Catti is mentioned, have you ever heard from him? He made some very impressive 1:12 Ferrari's, but I can't find any leads to him..

I Really admire your work!

The 312P is very very good! The only better one I have seen was from Patrice de Conto!

9. nniemi

nniemi Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Turku, Finland
    Full Name:
    Niko Niemi
    #35 nniemi, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Nice, who makes the RS200 kit?

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This is really turning into a nice thread... Good idea!!! The RS200 was made by Modelers years ago in 1/24th scale. I know someone
    copied the kit a few years ago. Profil 24 is also planning one someday.

On the Q-Model 330TRI, I didn't like the side profile and nose very well.. I think that is a model that still needs to be done correctly.
    Yours looks very nice anyway!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo -Strictly 43rd Revival model contest 2010-Chicago April 2010

12. Camoradi

Camoradi Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Peak District, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Barnett
    Thanks Hans. I haven't seen that book and had no idea any of my models were in it! Not surprised though, nobody tells me anything :-( I suppose I'll have to get on Ebay and track a copy down. Just starting work on a Lancia D50, the '55 car, before Ferrari started spoiling it....... ;-)

Martin, I've just Googled 'Mercedes Benz 717 Papyrusweiss' (Papyrus White) and it looks to me like a shade of white, not the light blue of the Pozzi '3m/Iso' 512BBLM cars.

Steve

13. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #39 moriaan1, May 27, 2009
  14. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #40 moriaan1, May 27, 2009
  15. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans

16. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    That 312P of yours is gorgeous!

Made me wonder, does the real car still exists in that very form?

And also if I may know, what is the S/N of the car its based on?

17. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Thanks! It's chassis 0868 which was destroyed at Monza. Read the history here:

http://www.qv500.com/ferrari312p2.php

18. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Thanks, I'll have to keep my eye open for one at some point.

19. 2006vancoillie

2006vancoillie Karting

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Full Name:
    vancoillie alexander
    #45 2006vancoillie, May 27, 2009
    first i have to say that this was a very good idea to start this tread nice to see the pictures of your work, second here is some of my latest models i build, i am far not so good as you guys but i try and i learn every time new things.

the first picture is ferrari truck on scale 1/24 i recently finished and the others is from the F187 (protar kit) with a lot of scratch building and fantasy to make it look right since that kit is one of the most simple ones protar made.

friendly greetings from Norway,

Alex

PM: Hans i can see you are busy and will be a lots more in about 25 years after you go on retirement
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. FIGSTR

FIGSTR Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Reedley
    Full Name:
    The Figster
    #46 FIGSTR, May 29, 2009
    some of my wips (going on a little over a year now to build) The revell Enzo is my first Enzo and it is mainly a practice for my Tamiya ones. The 'body-dropped' 612 is also a revell and i tried to mimic grigio ingrid. those are not the wheels i will use and it will sit higher. none of my ferraris are red except one (my first F50) and the last pics are of my other wip, i swear ive started something on just about all of them but cant finish any of them, enjoi

21. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    you have work for a decade!

22. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I am 27 and i would probably still have some of those left when i am on my death bed :D I wish my local model shop had that many kits.

23. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I'm almost done with my Alfa, so I picked up a Revell Audi LMS car. I found a new hobby shop by my wife's work (40 mi away) that has a vast selection of models and supplies. It's worth it to go there for the goods, now. I picked up a Tamiya Porsche 959 to work later. :)

PS: I love/hate decals!!! I'm almost too embarrased to post the pics. :)

24. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Post em up :) If you are having trouble with decals have you tried Microsol/Microset?