Likely to pull the trigger | FerrariChat

Likely to pull the trigger

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrayTA, May 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ok guys,

I have made a few posts here and there over the past year about me buying a 308. I also had a post where I was asking information about another car I was considering, but I was just offered a car that I am going to have a hard time walking away from.

The car is at Motorcars-Intl and is a black 85 GTS QV car.

It is beyond 60k miles, but that doesnt matter to me since I want to drive the crap out of it anyway. Before I get it I will have the major service done by them and have it ready to roll. You can look at it on their website.

This would be my first F-Car and it is the one I have dreamed of for more than 25 years. Now, its so close I can taste it...

I am about to step out the door to drive there, take a look at it in the morning, and then make my decision.

Wish me luck!!!!

PDG

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good luck!! Be sure to post pix if you take the plunge.... don't worry about the mileage -
    my '86 328 GTS has almost 70k and runs like a new car.

Jedi

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Black metallic - my favorite color. The former owner is on FChat, Yoshi.

Very pretty car. Good luck.

4. RMally

RMally Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Is this the car?

http://www.motorcars-intl.com/vehicle_details.aspx?id=764&CAR=Ferrari-308-GTSi-QV

I actually considered this car as well, never saw it in person but it reads well. However, remember I'm a "newb" so there may be things I don't know about. I really like the black, and If I hadn't found the Red 308 I would have seriously made an offer on this one.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #5 CliffBeer, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    Looks like a nice car. Price is pretty attractive for a QV too. Might be best to have the engine looked at - compression/leak down and have a look for any major oil leaks. Check the second gear synchro too. Body looks good - but do examine it for signs of rust or major body damage. Everything else (brakes/suspension/interior/cosmetics) can be improved over time with some care without too much trouble. Good that you want to actually drive it - right on.

Don't be shy about making an aggressive offer. If you can pay cash on the spot then I'd offer $25,000 and be ready to play hard ball. Good luck!

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Made the deal, pending a few paperwork issues. They are going to do the major and address a few cosmetic things. Yes, this is Yoshi's car. I should send him a message about it and introduce myself.

I also met and hung out with Randy there. I was very impressed with him. He took the vast majority of his day and spent it with me while I communicated with my wife via phone and texting (she agreed to this car sight unseen and without having met Randy). Gotta love her for that!!!

This car fulfills a dream I have had for many years (as I am sure most of you know). I think the first Ferrari I ever saw was a 308 around 1980 or so and I went out and got every magazine I could find on it and used to draw it on my notebooks when I was in elementary school. I still cant believe that I really signed the paperwork for it today....

I will post photos and such once I get it in my possession. I took some with my camera phone when I was there today, but dont know how to post them up here.

PDG

7. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Great looking car, and congratulations! I don't think you need the "major" since that was already done. What you definitely do need is the timing/cam belt service and oil change since that hasn't been done since 2003. Here's what you need to know - timing/cam belt service should be done every 3,000 to 5,000 miles regardless of mileage. That's a good price for this economy considering what it is, and what it has already. Enjoy that beauty!

8. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    Pics! Pics!

Congratulations!!!
    Looks like a great car and a really good deal!! :)

9. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    The last major on this car was done in '98 according to the records I saw. They are going to do everything so that it should be pretty much perfect so I can take it on the road. I didnt push it too hard on my test drive because I knew the belts were 11 years old.

I do know about the 3-5 year time frame for doing the services. I do appreciate any and all advice to a new owner.

PDG

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great color, you will love the car.

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks like a great car for a great price!

Scott

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #12 Bullfighter, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed, and with the odometer reading an honest 63K he can drive it without worrying about it.

Also, black metallic cleans up amazingly well. If Motorcars' detail team is as good as they have told me they are, it will be the best looking car in his zip code. Not that I'm biased or anything.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Thank you all for your comments and support. Mostly though, I am very thankful to my wife for allowing me to go ahead with this WITHOUT her having seen it.

That was a huge step for her...

PDG

14. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks great!!! Lower it and get rid of that wheel gap!! ;-)

15. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Lucky you! I had to wait until I was divorced to get mine :(

16. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    just did a deal with Randy a few months back. Very stand up professional guy, as was the entire team. They have even sent out some misc trim and rubber pieces completely free of charge we noticed missing after taking delivery. They have answered questions even now and have really taken care of us. Would definitely buy from them again!

17. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    That's great that your wife let you lead the way on this one. Just today my wife was saying (in response to an article in the local paper) "a woman wants a guy with some backbone. If she's acting up then a husband should slap her around a little, have sex with her then tell her to clean up the house." I think she was kidding (mostly)....

18. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Congrats. Great choice and very nice car. I am not ready to pull the trigger yet as I have my money recirculating with my currency trading but I plan to be able to pull the trigger by mid 2010 (will be purchasing a dream house first).

I am really looking forward to the day. It is nice to see another enthusiast get a Ferrari. Congrats again on the car and congrats with the progress on the wife. Cheers.

19. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    Big time congrats on the deal! Welcome to the Club and give your wife a bug hug & kiss for letting you fulfill your dream...mine was (and still is) at times jealous of my 'mistress'
    Drive her in good health :)

20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Congrats!!! I was looking at this car as well and think you bought a really fun car!!! Enjoy her and as others have said, lower that thing, the wheel well gaps look atrocious. Other than that she is a beauty!!!

Have fun with her, and welcome to the Ferrari Family!

MB