360 Shutdown Question | FerrariChat

360 Shutdown Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by ronc123, Jun 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronc123

ronc123 Karting

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Ron
    After taking my 360 out for a drive, I pull back into the garage. Is it best to let the engine idle for a few moments (cool down period?) before shutting off the engine, or just turn the engine off immediately. What do you folks usually do?

Thanks for your input.

Ron

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Not sure about others, but I shut it down straight away and then open the engine lid to let it cool down quicker.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #4 andrew911, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    I don't have a ferrari, but I have to chime in- I can't fathom the reason why you'd need to idle to cool the car down (or open the lid for that matter). The only cars that had to idle were early turbo cars (911 turbo, saab turbo, etc) to keep oil pressure flowing the oil though the turbos while they slowed down after using boost (cars in the mid-80's like the 944 turbo started having electric pumps that stayed on for a minute or so after the car was turned off, so no need to let those cars idle- I assume all current turbos have this by now).

The only thing I think people should be aware of is to let the oil (not just the water) fully warm up to operating temp before cranking out some full throttle red-line type of acceleration. The best way to warm the oil/motor is careful/easy driving, not idleing for 10 minutes...there shouldn't be any cool off procedure needed, however.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    How would idling cool the car? There are no fans in the engine bay, it depends on air from movement to disperse heat. Add to that the thought that while the engine is running it is generating heat. When you combine these two thoughts you see the potential for the engine bay to get much hotter, not cooler, if you sit an idle. Yes, radiators can move heat away but they are no where near 100% efficient and they would be hot already so the transfer rates relative to the engine would remain constant and the added heat load in the garage would further reduce their efficiency slowing transfer rates.

Just shut it down.

6. bkaran3000

bkaran3000 Rookie

May 4, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    B Karan

This is a good practice for cars with Turbo engine (not all turbo's some of them has a continues cooling fan after shut down).
    Just shut it down.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It's obvious, ttherefore, that you would not understand.

a) idle- let the water temp more evenly equalize in the system
    b) open lid - preclude electrical and other components from unnecessarily absorbing engine heat

Just common practical thinking here.

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Moderate driving before shutting down should help cool the engine. I also raise the deck lid when done to allow for heat to escape from the engine bay. Like has been said much easier on rubber parts.

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    For me, the approach into my neighborhood requires slow (1st or 2nd gear) driving. I consider this the "cool down" period and then, depending on how hard I've driven, I'll either pop the lid or not.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    a) good point. As fc2 said, I don't usually get home full on the throttle so the car has time to equalize while I am in town.

b) excellent point. I definitely do this and I think everyone with a 360 has this one down

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    +1.

12. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #12 andrew911, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    OK, I don't have a Ferrari and therefore have no access to the owner's manual. Does Ferrari specifically recommend this in the manual? If so I stand corrected. If not, I'll stand by my theory that it's not needed. Why would a 360, which is a modern Ferrari, have any different procedure than other cars- wires that can't absorb engine heat? I'd be surprised...but what do I know- always willing to learn something new (if it's factual)

13. ferraritime

ferraritime Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington DC Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry H.
    You won't find it in the owner's manual, but that doesn't mean it's not a good practice. Equalizing the water temp is a bit much IMO, and likely of no material benefit. Opening the engine bay does let heat escape more rapidly than otherwise, and it's not that the wires won't take it, it's just simple fact that plastic parts, all parts last longer if they aren't heat cycled/exposed to heat as much/as long.

Eventually, the heat from normal use will take it's toll on the rubber & plastic parts, and other parts for that matter. . . so opening the hatch can help, somewhat, with that inevitable wear & tear.

14. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    I actually open the decklid and after idling for a minute shut off the engine. If on a run or just a warm day I have an electric fan that I place over the engine to remove the heat from the bay as I feel the amassed temp when stopped is too high for the surrounding components. My 355 never got this hot but the 360 is a heat monster.

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It is of benefit. Not so crazy.

Many vehicles will have radiator fans run even after the engine is shut down.

Hot spots can develop which can cause issues at a later date.

Do what makes you comfortable.

I do it even on air cooled aircraft.

16. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    Personally, I had my entire garage converted into a giant refrigerator. I just pull the pupply in there and I am golden!

Of course, I still let the water temperature equalize and open the deck lid.

It's a truly "chilling" experience.

Joking . . . Of course.

17. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I don't do anything special when I start it and I don't do anything special when I turn it off. Once you forget about the horse emblem. It's just a car.

18. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    For god sake just turn the key, close door, lock, walk out from garage, admire for a second and close garage door.

19. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    When I get my ferrari this is the advise I will follow ;)

20. mackb61

mackb61 Karting
    BANNED

May 17, 2008
    Driving the vehicle at throttle raises the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) to around 1400 Degrees F. Letting the engine idle before turning it off lowers EGT to around 300 Degrees F. This cools the valves. I let mine idle for 30 seconds or so before hitting the kill switch.

21. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    I simply wait 15-30 seconds to let the engine return to approx. 1,000RPM turn off, open lid for 15 min.