Thinking about selling my C6 Corvette Z06 for a 348... | FerrariChat

Thinking about selling my C6 Corvette Z06 for a 348...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Supratt6s, Jun 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    So I don't think I can wait to get into a Ferrari any longer but wanna stay within a budget. The 348 seems to be the only Ferrari that does but I am afraid I will lose the excitement I get from my Z06. Will the 348 disappoint performance wise compared to the Z06? I know we're comparing apples to oranges but I need your opinions

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #2 DonJuan348, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!

no comparison, not even close.... B U T the sound of a flat crank through the right X-ost, dump the "FUGLY" factory wheels and Ferrari red you cant go wrong....

ITS STILL A FERRARI !!!

and to tempt U...

everytime I open my garage or start my car I'm excited
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Never had a Corvette, and I know it has superior performance, but I can assure you the 348 will satisfy your excitement cravings with an even better sound. I say go for it.

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

performance ........ Not so much

But sound and looks..........I'd do it in a heartbeat :)

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Of course you will lose performance. But you will have a Ferrari, not some product produced for the masses.

Plus, I have found that the right Ferraris can be very economical to own:

My first one, a 1982 308, I owned for a year and made $5,000.

My second one, a 1990 348TS, I owned for 1.5 years and sold it for exactly what I paid for it, although I had about $4K in fix-ups and repairs.

My third one, another 1990 348TS, I owned for 3 years and, including maintenance, upgrades, etc., I "lost" about $6,000 on the deal.

Pretty darn cheap fun if you ask me.

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dumping the Z06 for a 348 is a no-brainer - you will not be dissapointed. As you said, comparing apples to oranges, meaning there is no comparing to owning/driving a Ferrari. I guarantee you will get people looking at it as if you and the car were from another planet, unlike the corvette which would garner almost no attention at all (at least compared to the Ferrari)

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I should mention that I have a colleague who did exactly what you are thinking - he just sold his Z06 and is actively seeking a Ferrari. The more he comes over to see me and my Ferrari the more he chomps at the bit.

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sell the Z06 and step into a Ferrari. It will be the best move you will ever make! :D:D

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Welcome to the unbiased land of FerrariChat.

Not sure how much you've read here, but if you're looking for a daily driver the Corvette is the better option. Plus you've probably already lost your shirt in depreciation on the Chevy, so selling it now probably isn't the greatest move financially.

But, if you're looking for an exotic toy, there's nothing like an older Ferrari. The above posts are right -- the fun factor, and the drama of the whole experience, will make you not care about Corvettes, Evos, etc.

Just know what you're getting into with regard to parts prices, service, etc. I hate to be the voice of reason here, but you can expect $6K+ major service bills on a 348. Not very Chevy-like.

10. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I get asked a similar question from time to time, the car's vary but my answer remains the same, I answer something along these lines....

A Ferrari is built with passion, therefore it should be owned with passion. If you are not passionate (read: stark raving crazy) about the cars then ownership could become something you regret, it can be testing to us crazy passionate owners at times. If the ZO6 was just "some sports car" and the Ferrari is the dream, then absolutely, if the Ferrari will just be "some sports car" then.....maybe not.

This is a Ferrari enthusiast site after all, we may be bias ;)

11. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Performance...On the straights, a z06, with cheap mods, will easily smoke a 348 at a traffic light. Twisty, a 348 will be more fun and capable.

Looks and feel...348 hands down.

Cost to maintain...Z06 hands down.

What are you looking for?

Ace

12. justdriveme

justdriveme Rookie

Jul 15, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 justdriveme, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
    I actually own a 1997 C5 and a 1990 348. The Corvette is without question a better vehicle.

The Corvette is faster, handles better, sound system actually works. You don't read on forums explaining the nuances of how to get the transmission to shift into second gear, etc, the Corvette is a high performance car that you can drive every day. It doesn't cost $6K for a scheduled maintenance at 30K miles. If I remember right the Corvette isn't due for any major engine service until 100K miles.

The sound is personal preference. I have Tubi on the Ferrari and B&B Triflos on the Vette. I like them both.

Now, if you want to get noticed the Ferrari is without a doubt a better choice.

13. striker27

striker27 Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    andy
    Ferrari looks better on the outside, and gets more looks from people on the road. I have a older 2004 Z06 no comparison with the performance of the Ferrari. The 348 lacks it in that area in a huge way. I cannot even imagine how much better a C6 Z06 will be over a C5 Z06 in terms of performance. Save your money the Z06 is faster and easier to maintain in the long run anyways.

I regularly wish I would have saved a few months longer and bought a 360 instead of my 348. It has been very humbling in the last few weeks I have been able to drive the car.

Sorry to say that let alone post it.......

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My opinion is not popular but here it is.

Unless you are a diehard Ferrari fanatic the 348 will be disappointing to you.

I have owned a F355, a gen II viper and a C5 vette. IMVHO both the viper and the vette are generally more fun to drive than the 355 (and the 355 has better performance than the 348) unless I was going through some mountain passes where the F355s go kart like handling and magical sounds lift it to a special place. You will absolutely MISS having torque...In a big way. I thought there was something wrong with my F355 when I first bought it. I figured it wasnt firing on all cylinders.. turns out I was just used to having torque.

I am not a Ferrari fanatic. I am simply a car guy. I go by my gut and try not to let heritage or marquee sway me.

I think as far as 'smiles per hour' your Z06 is far superior to the 348 or even a 355 and 360.

i plan on owning another Ferrari in the not too distant future, probably another 355. I am a fan of the brand and the cars but I have to call it like I experience it.

15. WallaceBow

WallaceBow Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Wallace Bow
    #15 WallaceBow, Jun 3, 2009
    It's time for a little reality check here. On the straights a Z06 with no mods will easily smoke a 348 at a traffic light. The bone-stock C6 Z06 goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Ferrari claimed (but few could duplicate) a 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds for the 348. Having owned two C6 Corvettes and a F355, I can attest that the C6 will also be faster on the twisties, if that's what you mean by "capable" than the F355 or 348. Those are attributes that I can measure with a stopwatch, there's little room for debate there.

Fun? That's totally subjective -- I don't have a funwatch. In 2005, my C6 drew crowds. Kids would take pictures of the car with their cellphones. Now, they're everywhere. The Ferrari will always turn heads.

I'd be interested in opinions from people who have driven both cars.

Wallace

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The 348 is a bit of a quirky car, but I really liked mine. It is fun to have something different, even if it is slower and more expensive to maintain. My father in law has a C6 vette, and it is really nice. I would not have any worries taking it on a trip around the entire country. Not the same with the 348. The furthest I got from home was a weekend car group trip to Key West (about 250 miles each way). That said, the Ferrari ownership experience was well worth the cost of admission, and exit. I learned very much about cars, a bit about driving, and had tons of fun going to car shows, meets, and drives with other car enthusiasts.
    I've always liked the look of the newer vettes (starting with the C5), and the performance bargain is unmatched.
    :)
    BT

17. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    Well said... +1

18. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    don't do it. You'll regret it in the long run. The 348 is a nice car, one of my fav's, but it is not even close to the Corvette in performance, or quality. Once your over the "ooooohhhhhh I have a Ferrari!!" stage, you'll miss the power of the Vette.

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #20 ernie, Jun 3, 2009
    Big time.

Don't sell the Z06. If you really want a 348 just add it to the garage.

21. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Can't believe FBB hasn't posted on this thread yet!!

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Listen up!

I am a die hard 348 fan. I love my car. I will probably be buried in it. (hopefully not after a flaming wreck)

However, I would NEVER give up a C6 Z06 for one. Ever. Not for any near modern Ferrari model. What are you on crack?! :eek: The C6 Z06 is possibly the best sports car in the world in its class and for the money. There is no 348 that is going to make you happy toodling around in. It's a tempermental overpriced Italian maintenance (!) nightmare in comparison that is easily out perfromed by the most mundane Japanese sports coupes.

Come on, keep some perspective here. We are nuts about our cars but let's not appear as though we require institutionalization. Shame on you brothers for trying to talk this guy out of his machine. I wish you lobotomies so you soon forget your insanity.

What a crazy OP question this is. ;)

23. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I agree with all of you that the Vette is a much superior car, it will have to be compared, as far as performances, to a 360CS or an F430, period. I bought a 348 because that was the best Ferrari I could afford, otherwise I would have gone for a much newer model.
    Said so, I have to say that a Ferrari, no matter which one, is always a Ferrari and sorry to contradict someone, nothing compares. The 348 performs at best as a 2001 Porsche Boxster S but it has the look and sound of an exotic and no matter what I love her.

24. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I gotta go with Vince on this one. Don't be foolish, keep your Z06.:)

25. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 76Steel, Jun 3, 2009
    I centrainly do not have a new Corvette or a 348, but do have a nice 96 Collector's Vette and a Carbed 1976 308. Vette was my dream car growing up - loved it and was so extremely happy to finally purchase one in 1999. In my mind back then, Ferrari was not even an option and most likely not ever a possibility for me. 2 years ago I bought my 308 and I love my car - its not just another car - strange but true. I'm passionate about it - I talk about it, read about, love showing it to people. With the Vette I never joined Forums, car clubs or anything else outside just enjoying the car that I really liked. I guess, PASSION is the difference ... kind of a like a tantrum throwing italian model that is hot as hell. Will you trade in your tall well adjusted german girl that is certainly a good looker and speaks well or are you gonna keep both? ha ha ha. That is the question of the day ........... I kept both.